Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:17:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Who here actually liked lost odyssey?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Who here actually liked lost odyssey?  (Read 9289 times)
Noobien
The Random Clueless Guy of The Forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:02:39 AM »

I'm almost done with the game and was just wondering what the community thought about this. I personally enjoyed it but I thought that it needed a few changes. The graphics were decent with some nice enviroments and character models but they could certainly use some improvements since some areas of the game just felt...lacking.

Sound was great in my opinion, especially the music (with the main theme being my favourite). Voice acting was alright but nothing special, Kaim was pretty good though compared to the others but Jansen felt out of place (even though he was supposed to be funny). Tolten was by far the worst out of the whole lot and can fuck right off. I won't say anything about Cooke and mack since their voice actors weren't that bad (rugrats anyone?) but the characters themselves needed to be removed.

Combat was a typical turn based affair and the aim ring thing has been done before (in a way) with FF8.

The story was a really mixed bag. The thousand years of memories parts were top notch but the rest of the writing was not that good. The story itself has been done to death but has a few twists along the way. Pacing itself was terrible with the first disc being complete shit and the thrd disc (I think) being REALLY good. Also, finding out that gongora made you imortal 10minutes into the game was lame and then finding out the truth 2 discs later was stupid since once you actually do find out the truth, you probably couldn't care less.

Overall I probably would have given the game an 8/10.

What did you guys (and girls) thnk of the game?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:04:35 AM by Noobien » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »

I thought the first disc was phenomenal, right up until you meet Cooke and Mack. Then it all went downhill. Then in disc three when they HIJACKED A TRAIN TO GO SEE THEIR DEAD MOTHER and you had to go after them, it just jumped the shark for me so much I wanted to phone Japan and ask them if the nuclear fallout from Hiroshima was still fucking their skulls. Characters were generally annoying, though Sed was actually a pretty cool character. Everyone else either came off as annoying (Tolten, the kids) or forced (Jansen, Ming).

The battle system annoyed me at first but doesn't as much now that I've learned a good deal of abilities to play around with. Personally, I think the BoF series did turn based RPGs perfectly.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:33:32 AM »

I agree with Ashton. The game starts off with a bang and the first disc is pretty good, but it eventually got tiresome and I didn't enjoy the battle system as much as I thought I would. It got repetitive and the story was cool to start with but lost steam towards the end. It's not awful, but it's not great either. If only the writer of the short stories would have written the whole game...

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:33 AM »

Yeah, I share Leyviur and Blace's sentiments. The beginning started out fantastic, then it was getting progressively duller. I will say, however, that the world of Lost Odyssey was a place I would have loved to be in; I loved being amongst the townspeople in the various cities your characters traveled. All in all, it was a terrific game, and I don't regret playing it, despite some of its setbacks.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:15:53 AM »

Never found Jansen forced, I thought he was hilarious. Overall I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, especially the memory sequences, and heck, Cooke and Mack were fine in my books. I was less a fan of the battle system, but even that was tolerable. Not a bad game by any stretch.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »

I thought the first disc was phenomenal, right up until you meet Cooke and Mack. Then it all went downhill.
So true. The idea that two of the main characters were married and had kids was completely awesome and really upped the emotional power of the game. The way this idea was _implemented_ was friggin' awful for the most part. Palom and Porom, I mean, "Cooke and Mack" should have been NPCs that actually behaved like "real children".

I agree that Tolten and Ming were badly-utilized, but I actually liked Jansen by the end - his character actually underwent some development, which is rarer in JRPGs than it should be.

In any event, if you like JRPGs and you're a 360 owner, this game should probably be at the top of your list. LO is one of those rare games that reviewed only average, but fans of the genre really must play.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:26 AM »

Never found Jansen forced, I thought he was hilarious. Overall I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, especially the memory sequences, and heck, Cooke and Mack were fine in my books. I was less a fan of the battle system, but even that was tolerable. Not a bad game by any stretch.

My feelings are pretty much exactly this.  I still really don't see what the problem is with Cooke and Mack, the only thing anyone ever seems to be able to say is "Oh, they're kids, therefore they are annoying characters" when that argument doesn't really hold any water.

And anyone that didn't like Jansen is a bad person.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »

I thought it was pretty average in every regard. I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

God, I hated Cooke and Mack though. Seriously, a fucking 8 year old in a mini skirt? Ugggggghhhhh. They're annoying little shits too. Didn't fit at all with the mood of the rest of the game.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »

"Oh, they're kids, therefore they are annoying characters" when that argument doesn't really hold any water.

Kids have always been awful and it's a trend that should stop right now and never come back UNLESS it advances the story in a different fashion than what has been used and they aren't on the battlefield with a sword in their hand fighting fully trained people.

So yeah, I'd say that argument does hold water.

Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:21:50 AM »

I loved it, MOSTLY because of Jansen. He was truly funny. I also liked the writing
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »

My feelings are pretty much exactly this.  I still really don't see what the problem is with Cooke and Mack, the only thing anyone ever seems to be able to say is "Oh, they're kids, therefore they are annoying characters" when that argument doesn't really hold any water.

Really depends on the style of the game and if it makes sense. There's SOME rational here, but it still feels like they're trying to fulfill some quota, whereas complaining about having children characters in Dragon Quest V would just be stupid.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:15:41 PM by Eusis » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »

I liked the game overall, but didn't care for the gameplay as much.

Battles took too long, and cooke and mack were pretty much useless, only place holders until you get all the immortals on your team.

I felt that Kaim was an amazing character in the dream sequences, but none of his personality in these sequences was reflected in the actual game, he's just a gruff quiet tough guy like many JRPG leads.

I loved disc 3, thought the pacing and excitement level was excellent, disc 2 was dull.

I liked Ming and Jansen, as impossible as their relationship seemed, it was full of heart and endearing.

Sarah sucked, not sure why Kaim would settle for a bore like her.

Probably an 8/10 overall.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »

Kids have always been awful

Actually, I can only think of a handful of child RPG characters that weren't great.  Most of the games I've played are filled with awesome kid characters.  Suikoden (3 especially.  Anyone who says that Thomas, Cecile, Melville, Alanis, and Rody weren't brokenly powerful is smoking pot), Breath of Fire, Fire Emblem, and many more all had useful young'uns.  And I also don't see the problem with Palom and Parom, as hey were both really powerful mages that did nothing but boost your team.  The team actively got WORSE after they left, because Cid does not make up for their abilities in battle.

It sounds to me like you just hate kids.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »

I don't like kids in serious videogames because they take away from the seriousness of it. Games like Radiata Stories, games full of humor in other words, are fine with kids in them because it enhances the humor. I just think they aren't being used properly most of the time. SO4 and LO have made me despise kids this generation because of the pure awfulness of the kids in them.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »

I guess that's only a problem if you take games seriously.

I've never considered any Tri-Ace game to be serious, especially the SO series. Most tri-ace games tend to poke fun at themselves and the genre in general.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: