Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:09:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319709 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Whisper of a Rose released!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Whisper of a Rose released!  (Read 7704 times)
Twin Matrix

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:31:49 AM »

..They do indeed still make them! :P

by RosePortal Games

This is my game. It's been in progress for over a year. I have personally done almost all graphics, and three musicians have written most of the 50 OST tracks. The game is basically done and just needs to be beta tested. There's actually a website, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link? It hasn't got a forum at the moment. If anyone could clear this up that would be nice. :) SO, moving on.

LQ YouTube w/o sound; of some gameplay (item farming). (Very old vid.)

Storyline
Follow the story of Melrose -- an introverted girl who seems to be only unlucky with life. Seeking happiness, she one day steals a gadget that draws
her into a happy dreamworld.

But once she is there, the dreamworld is revealed to be a dangerous place instead. A mysterious fairy godmother appears and offers to help Melrose leave. Suddenly the fairy is kidnapped, and Melrose must set out on a journey to find her. This journey takes her from underwater cities and Aztec temples to the moon and even pirate coves.

Whisper of a Rose is a unique and moving game. It features a strong cast of characters that will stay with you for years, and many puzzles and quests.

Downloads
Release date May the 1st! (If not sooner!)

Original Soundtrack!
Download some tracks from the OST!
Seize The Day (game's theme song)
an army of One (tune for common battles)
Dreams (dreamworld song; by Koda Kami)

Characters
Protagonists

Melrose
An introvert teenaged girl, thrown into the role of a swordsman.
Having been raised by two incompetent parents, she's grown used to being on her own. She doesn't allow anyone to get close to her, but she isn't afraid to push someone back either.
She has a love for defenseless creatures, as she subconsciously feels attached to them. One day she tried to stop a bully from burning a ladybug, but failed.

Hellena
The loving witch daughter of an evil wizard.
When growing up, her parents tried to force her into becoming a vicious witch. She struggled over the years to resist them. Then one day, her father killed her mother. When she found out, she took her mother's pendant and ran away.
But then why is she so eager to join Melrose's journey that takes them to the Mighty Wizard, her father?

Diamond
A courageous ladybug with the task to save his entire village.
He has always been the weakest ladybug of the village. His time magic was never up to par with that of the others. He had no friends, and was unimportant. So he dreamed every day of an adventure that would allow him to prove himself. To prove himself to be important, and not dispensable.
Then one day his village was attacked by trolls, that captured all ladybugs. Diamond managed to escape, and decided that this would be his chance to prove himself once and for all

Christina
An arrogant ex-prostitute and agent seeking revenge on her previous boss.
Her mother had died when she was young, and her father had no job. Thus she had no money to pay for a high school and university on her level of intelligence. So instead of money, she sold her body to get what she wanted. Soon after finishing a criminal rights study at the university, she met a man that made her feel loved, but who also took advantage of her. This lover boy made her into a prostitute. But she became pregnant with the man, and the man threatened to take away her baby. So she fled, and started a new life as a secret agent for the government, that hired her because of her great seductive skills and intelligence. She was assigned to investigate suspicions regarding the iDream development. However, because an unknown cause, she fell into a coma while at CareTech. And she has been a coma until this day.

Antagonists

Coulroz
A sadistic clown seeking to poison Melrose's mind.
An evil character following Melrose around in the dreamworld and haunting her. This character seems to have a strange connection to Melrose's actual past.

Bubble & Mr. Purr
A mysterious girl and her cat, making opposing Melrose's goals a fun game.
Bubble is the incarnation of envy and loneliness that are within little girls. She is jealous of Melrose's powers and of Melrose making friends with Hellena and Diamond, whilst Melrose is a very unpleasant girl. Bubble feels that she deserves friendship more than Melrose, and so she hinders Melrose's journey as much as possible.

Screenshots

Gameplay
Battles
Battles are side-view. Each participant of a battle has a time bar that gradually fills. Once full, the character may make a move. Physical attacks take place instantly, but magic has a loading time which can vary from instantly to some time. This calls for strategy. An enemy flashes white when it is preparing for a magic spell. Then it is your character's turn. Will you defend? Quickly use a healing item? Or will you use time-magic to delay the enemy's magic spell?

Skills
Each character has two to three category of skills, varying between 6-9 skills. Each skill is unique and has its own purpose. You can upgrade a skill's power / lower the cost of usage / increase casting speed by collecting points from NPCs and spending them in a tree-shaped grid. Will you split your points up to be ready for any situation, on focus on a particular strategy, such as weakening an enemy's magic defense and then pummeling it with torrents and geysers?

Summonings
Melrose, the main character, is able to summon allies to aid the party in battle. Once summoned, the allies will enter the battlefield and cast magic and use attacks on his or her own. Their power automatically increases with the party's experience level. Also, Melrose may learn skills to make her summonings stronger in battle, such as a skill to increase their speed. Summonings slowly drain Magic Points, however, and should thus be used wisely. Each Summoning has a unique set of skills and all are fantastical creatures. These include: unicorns, Humpty Dumpty, baby dragons and more!

Glitters
99% original graphics (aside from a few RTP things).
50 unique and beautiful music tracks.
30+ hours of gameplay.
Mouse control.
Summon dream creatures!
Classic character customization system.
A story involving clowns and prostitutes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:42:51 AM by Twin Matrix » Logged
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »

You know that it looks absolutely stunning? Too bad I don't have much time the next two months, otherwise I'd try it out.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »

I'll add this to my list of indie games to play this summer.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »

You pretty much have me at original artwork and music.  I'm an indie advocate and believe marketable games can come from RPGMaker (heck, Eternal Eden actually edged out Persona 4 as my favorite RPG of 2008), yet I complain the hardest about borrowed graphics and music. 

I'll give it a spin, but it'll probably be on the back burner since there's some cool stuff coming out in May that I'll be checking out (Crimson Gem Saga from Atlus, hopefully Black Sigil & Aveyond 3...)

I approve of this nonsense!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »

You pretty much have me at original artwork and music.

Unless "Koda Kami" is some indie artist, I'm assuming he's refering to "Koda Kumi," whom most of us know for doing some vocal of FFX-2. In which case, he IS stealing music for his RPG Maker title.

sigh... *I am not impressed*

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:20 PM »

You pretty much have me at original artwork and music.

Unless "Koda Kami" is some indie artist, I'm assuming he's refering to "Koda Kumi," whom most of us know for doing some vocal of FFX-2. In which case, he IS stealing music for his RPG Maker title.

It either is some nickname or I don't recognize the song at all.  Anyway, I have to say this particular game has me interested.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:15:32 AM »

If Koda Kami's some composer's screen name/handle, cool.  If it's music ripped from another game, no thanks.  I get the feeling it's just a handle. 

But sometimes I wonder, why is it that in some indie titles that people prefer to be credited by their screen names/handles than their real names?  Would make things less wonky and avoid situations like Ramza says. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:11:49 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Twin Matrix

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »

Hi!

Thank you for all your kind replies! ^_^

Koda Kumi is a Japanese singer (whom I absolutely love). The Dreams track from my post is written by Koda Kami, which is the nick name of one of my three very talented composers. All music in the game is original and unique to Whisper of a Rose. :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »

Any word on what's going on with this game?  All that custom sprite work is whetting my appetite.  It's great seeing RPGM games evolving as much as they are with all that custom spritework, original music, all of that. 

Twin Matrix

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »

Whisper of a Rose released!

Hi!

I'm sorry for the lack of updates. After posting this topic, I made the decision to make it a commercial game, and you can imagine what kind of work comes with that. But WHISPER OF A ROSE IS RELEASED! ^_^

You can get it here: RosePortalGames.com. You can play for one hour FREE.

For support, etc. you can go to the forum. Am I allowed to post that forum link? If not I'll remove it. ^^

Oh, and thank you for your feedback and support cause it really kept me motivated. So, yea, thank you. ^^

I hope you enjoy it!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »

Hope that trial link pops up soon for you.  Think I'm interested but I just want to check a few things first...

Twin Matrix

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:30:28 AM »

It's online. ^^!
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »

Congratulation for the release Arend! :)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »

Proofread the game a bit and I think the game's pretty awesome.  Noticed a good dozen or more typographical errors in the trial.

Twin Matrix

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »

Thank you!

But when I proofread it, the only error I found was potatoes spelled wrong. : [
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: