Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The glory days of Lucas Arts.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The glory days of Lucas Arts.  (Read 2935 times)
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »

As much as I love RPG's, my fave genre of games will probably always be those old point and click graphic adventure games of the early to mid 90's. You know, Full Throttle (my fave) Loom, Indiana Jones, Day Of The Tentacle, Necropolis, Grim Fandango, Death Gate, Monkey Island, etc. When it comes to storyline, these games done well can't be beat. There are a few of these games coming out now, but pretty much all of them are more serious in tone. I miss the comedy that permeated the graphic adventure games of the '90's.

Now, I'm not one to download anything, whether it's music, movies, games, etc., but I did download all the Lucas Arts adventure games a few years back. Most of the early/more simple games I could get working no problem, but the later games, the more complex ones with voice acting and animation I could never get running. I had some people helping me out and they'd always say "Well you need to download this program, and do this. And you need this other program to do that, and these other 20 programs as well". Blah, I just gave up. My question is this: "Since those old Lucas Arts were some of the most popular games of all time, why don't they release an official box set of all these games that will run on newer PC'S?". I remember back in the late 90's they released a set of all of those games in one box... I'd like something like that, only on discs that'll run in my PC. Damn, I'd like to play Full Throttle again...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »

It would be pretty nice if LucasArts did that again (they did a few collections in the mid-late 90's), but at this point they're too focused on Star Wars and some Indiana Jones on the side. It's pretty depressing really, it's not even forsaking graphic adventures for different genres, but simply those two IPs with only cursorary dabbling beyond them, and not much success there.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

Im can understand the fact that they're concentrating on newer IP's, but man... those old games are already done, completed, ready to go. Wouldn't take much time, resources or money to release them again for newer PC's. Hell, even a collection for the Wii would be great, considering how the Wiimote would work well in such games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »

Im can understand the fact that they're concentrating on newer IP's, but man... those old games are already done, completed, ready to go.

Except they really aren't. They'll throw a new game out every so often (Fracture), but normally they're not much good or go to someone else anyway (Mercenaries).
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »

even a collection for the Wii would be great.

Wii, PC, DS... heck, they could put those games out on the freaking iPhone at this point - I bet it's at least as powerful as the PCs we were all using when we played that stuff.  And you know what?  I bet they'd sell a TON.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:59 AM »

These would be perfect for the DS. And they probably would sell a ton.

I'm surprised Lucas hasn't cashed in on it yet.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

Who needs LucasArts, we have DoubleFine now.

If they ever release their damn game. :P
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »

@Buddy

You need to get yourself ScummVM. It`s a program that lets you play many of the old school adventure games. It has save states and graphical filters(HQ2x, Super Eagle etc.) support and is overall extremely easy to set up. As for Lucas Arts adventure games in particular, I think it supports all of them but the 3D ones(Grim Fandango and Escape from the Monkey Island). I`ve recently replayed Monkey Island 2-3, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit The Road using ScummVM and all ran perfectly well.

If you decide to download the thing you should also get Beneath A Steel Sky along with it. It`s a cyberpank adventure game from Revolution(creators of the Broken Sword series) that went freeware and is available for download on ScummVM`s website.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »

Who needs LucasArts, we have DoubleFine now.

If they ever release their damn game. :P

DoubleFine really doesn't make Point & Clicks, though.  To be fair, we do have fantastic companies like Telltale, though.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »

Don't forget about The Dig.  That wasn't a comedic graphic adventure, but it had a good story.  I think that was LucasArts' only sci-fi graphic adventure and one of the few with a serious storyline.  I wasn't keen on it when I was younger, but I appreciate it more as an adult. 

I too would like to see reissues of the LucasArts classics.  I miss cartoony graphic adventures.  A Vampyre Story and So Blonde are the only two recent ones I can think of that used LucasArts type humor.  I'm surprised So Blonde was never released in the US, especially since it was dubbed into English and everything. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:23:46 PM »

it'd be really nice if, say, they jumped on the Virtual Console and offered them, or at least sold them again like Vivendi Universal did with all their old properties pre-merger. But I don't think LucasArts is ever going to capitalize on this beyond throwing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in with the Wii game.

On the other hand, that IS a positive indicator that they've got the engine running on the Wii and could easily release more on the Virtual Console if Nintendo would open up that kind of support.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: