Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338691 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  1up: Essential RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: 1up: Essential RPGs  (Read 15431 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2009, 06:24:10 PM »

Feature link.

Comments? I think the selections are pretty solid so far... not that there's much left beyond about 2 last gen RPGs (Persona 4 isn't linked yet).
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

Many of them seem to have got in by default rather than any reflection on their actual quality, which just goes to show how poor this generation has been so far.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »

They have Golden Sun on there. WTF? And... they... put it on their entirely because of the graphics. Which I thought were pretty artless. Wow.

Also, Shiren, while definitely not something I dislike, is definitely not something I'd call essential.

And from the comments!

Nothing today competes with the golden day 16-bit JRPGs with terrific storylines!

Am I forgetting all of the 16-bit JRPGs with terrific storylines because I certainly am not remembering them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:15:32 PM »

While I like Golden Sun, calling it one of the best RPGs of the generation is stretching it.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:03 PM »

PSP has FF7 over Yggdra Union?  That should be grounds for an arrest.

Also: lol, the Wii and PS3 ones are just lists of all the RPG's on the system.  Although Super Paper Mario should be banished from that list and replaced with Baroque.  Baroque was different, unique, and entertaining(And there's no reason for them to not vote it in considering that Shiren is on the DS list).  SPM got boring very quickly and had almost none of the charm of it's predecessors.  The game is literally only worth playing up until the Weaboo lizard guy.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »

Lost Odyssey should be nowhere close to a list like this... or Tales of Symphonia II. Replace LO with Oblivion for freakin sakes. How is it on the PS3 list and not 360? And Golden Sun is dominant. Screw the haters. I think it was definitely one of the best RPG's last generation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:54:36 PM by Blace » Logged

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:24 PM »

Yes, Golden Sun deserves all the praise that it gets. Both are quality games.

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:06:31 PM »

To be honest, I didn't really get any reactions from the first handful of categories, nor did I really take any of them all that seriously (with the exception being the DS). The current generation is still swinging and has yet to churn out a healthy library of RPGs. I mean, come on; Chocobo's Dungeon? Super Paper Mario? The writers are obviously grasping at straws, here.  Similarly, for the past generation category, calling Golden Sun one of the best is just...off. It's by no means a bad game, but as others have said, it's not the pinnacle of what the past generation has to offer. It's hardly even a blip on the radar.

This just isn't the right time to be putting out an article like this.

Chocobo's freakin' Dungeon. Jesus.

Edit: It just struck me that for the past gen category, they might be reserving each spot for a different platform. In that case, I don't think I have many objections to Golden Sun's placement.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:10:55 PM by Sketch » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »

How is it on the PS3 list and not 360?

They likely didn't want to put the same game on two lists.

And just because you don't like Lost Odyssey doesn't mean it isn't a great game.  I didn't like Eternal Sonata but I can fully well understand why it's on this list.  As for ToS2, what would you replace it with?  I mean, I guess there's technically Okami but that's a PS2 game.

And yeah, Golden Sun was the shit.  Can't wait for the third game if Camelot decides to make one.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »

Many of them seem to have got in by default rather than any reflection on their actual quality, which just goes to show how poor this generation has been so far.

This, they pretty much put every single RPG that has come out for the PS3, and in the 360 list they just missed Blue Dragon to have almost all the line up.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »

That's received fairly positive reviews actually! I can't speak from personal experience, but it's on there because it's genuinely liked, not simply because they ran out of choices of Wii games to put on, though I won't deny that there really isn't much choice of what to put on.

Anyways, Oblivion would be kinda redundant on the 360 alongside Fallout 3, and unlike Fallout 3 you're not missing anything significant by going with the PS3 version. The bigger DLC releases they gave away for free didn't really impress me, so I could safely recommend Oblivion for the PS3 despite losing the DLC, whereas I'd find it harder to do the same for Fallout 3. Anyways, there really isn't much of an alternative on the PS3 but, uhh, Enchanted Arms. I'm pretty sure Lost Odyssey is more of an essential than that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:49:10 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »

Gen:

Is Yggdra union good? I could get the the GBA version sometime maybe.

What's odd about GS is that it's listed as one of the LAST generations best. Maybe I could see it if it was just best GBA RPGs (There weren't tons of those anyway), but all of last generation? Come on.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »

This article has serious problems with focus as in the PS2 has at least as many essential RPGs as all of the current systems combined and yet the PS2 is relegated to 3 or less of the 30 titles.  What's more many of these so called essential RPGs seem to be there simply because the system doesn't have anything better to put.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »

Not surprising at all. 1up's RPG blog happens to be run by the only professional game journalist in existence who understands/gives a damn about roguelikes.

Personally, I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything but I'd put it above most non-handheld RPGs this gen.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »

Mesh: Yes, Yggdra Union is absolutely amazing.  I would say it's the best SRPG ever made, and I've played a LOT of SRPG's.  Watch out though, because it can also be brutally hard and it tends to have a pretty steep learning curve.  I'm still discovering new things about the nuances of the game!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: