Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327864 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  1up: Essential RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: 1up: Essential RPGs  (Read 14508 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »

I guess Pokemon is an RPG but I always thought this was a childs game, up to the age of about 12.

But our (UK) unofficial Nintendo magazine and given Pokemon Platinum 89% and says 'this is one of the finest strategy games ever made.

Do gamers (over 12)here @ RPGFan play Pokemon??????????????????????
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

I guess Pokemon is an RPG but I always thought this was a childs game, up to the age of about 12.

But our (UK) unofficial Nintendo magazine and given Pokemon Platinum 89% and says 'this is one of the finest strategy games ever made.

Do gamers (over 12)here @ RPGFan play Pokemon??????????????????????

Never cared about that franchise at all. Tried one and it bored the hell out of me.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 04:15:03 PM »

Pokemon games (main installments, not the cash-in Emerald/Fire Red/Platinum crap) are always day one purchases for me. I'll keep buying 'em as long as there are new Pokemon to be caught.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »

I played Red way back in middle School, and when Diamond launched last year I got that one too. I'll probably pick up the next main series one as well, for sure if they get rid of all that IV and EV crap.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »

I agree that Golden Sun's dialogue left a lot to be desired, but that's the only downfall I can really think of. What I especially loved about Lost Age was how non-linear it became once you acquired the ship. It definitely mastered the concept of exploration for me, even moreso than DQVIII. Also, acquiring new magic spells that opened up new areas which were previously inaccessible contributed to that sense of exploration. I'm sure other games do stuff like this, but I think Lost Age did it masterfully.

As for Pokemon: I own the Red version and played it to death. Never really got into any Pokemon installment after Red, except for my brief stint with Pearl before I had my DS (with Pearl inside) stolen. What I played of it, I loved.

As for the article, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. Some selections seem like they're by default because of how small this gen's library of RPG's is.

FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »

I've never played Pokemon, but I've always wondered why they release two games at once, Like Diamond and Pearl. Are there any major differences between the two games?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »

the DS list sucks and if zelda is an rpg so is super mario galaxy lol. the psp list sucks too. no star ocean? no wild arms xf?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »

I love the PSP list. 4 of the 5 games  are very good. I haven't played Monster Hunter, but it's the only one.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »

I've never played Pokemon, but I've always wondered why they release two games at once, Like Diamond and Pearl. Are there any major differences between the two games?

The only major difference is that there are slightly different Pokemon sets in each version.  A good example was in Red and Blue.  It was easier to find Nidoran Males in Red, but easier to find Nidoran Females in Blue.  As well, certain monsters are restricted to certain versions; you could ONLY catch a Meowth or Persian in Blue, while Growlithe and it's evolved form were only available in Red.  The idea was to encourage people to play the game together so they could trade monsters.

Alisha: Star Ocean games are both ports.  I dunno if they should count.  And Wild ARMS XF is a really, really niche game that I don't really think is "essential".  It's good, but it's certainly not a "everybody should play this or die" game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »

the DS list sucks and if zelda is an rpg so is super mario galaxy lol.

That rational person in me wants to just got ">:/" and leave it at that. The less rational person in me wants to point out the inherent elitism present in the RPG community, and in RPG-ing as a whole, circa... whenever the hell Ocarina of Time came out till about 2001, except that's a a lot of analyzing and conjecture and not fucking going there.

Pokemon are totally kids games. I play them all the time because I'm a totally nedorosl.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:43 PM »

I don't really see why that'd disqualify it from something like this, or that something aimed at kids can't be appreciated by anyone older.

Anyways, RPG classification! Don't get too worked up over this, it's essentially just recommending games that people looking for RPGs should check out if they haven't, and in the case of Zelda the Wii library is currently too scarce to worry too much about it. Save the nitpicking for a case where Zelda or something else really does steal the spotlight from a proper RPG.

(And Ocarina of Time came out in 1998. I may remember the years games came out a bit too well, but 1998 was just too amazing for me to think the game came out at any other time.)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »

Chocobo's freakin' Dungeon. Jesus.

They made it tough for themselves by picking five games for the Wii. I mean ... it's hard enough finding FIVE WII RPGs, let alone good ones.

(hence our 2008 awards where we didn't give crap to the Wii.)

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 10:52:33 PM »

Chocobo's freakin' Dungeon. Jesus.

They made it tough for themselves by picking five games for the Wii. I mean ... it's hard enough finding FIVE WII RPGs, let alone good ones.

(hence our 2008 awards where we didn't give crap to the Wii.)

Which I STILL disagree about because Baroque came out last year and the game was amazing.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 10:57:02 PM »

The more I think about it, the lack of an award and that write-up weren't particularly fair. The year was still fairly good with RPGs, at least compared to most years the GC and especially the N64 had, and Damian even gave a fairly positive review to Chocobo's Dungeon. I can't really advocate anything in particular, and even if I could I'd rather not, but maybe it should have defaulted to what game received the highest score that year in absence of anyone putting it on their list? At least if the review isn't one everyone vehemently disagrees with?

(Plus blasting the difficulty in the award write-up while Damian praises how it struck a good balance - WTF?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:06:17 AM by Eusis » Logged
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »

So, i'm the only one in these boards who doesn't like Pokemon? I was going to ask what the hell everybody sees in those games, but i guess it's like asking what people see in the Monster Hunter games and other assorted titles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:24:56 PM by ChevalierEagle » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: