Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:13:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331817 Posts in 13586 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  1up: Essential RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: 1up: Essential RPGs  (Read 14878 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:17:57 PM »

I'm sorta doubting the PS3 since there aren't much RPGs in that system but then I haven't played them yet though so I'm not sure if they're good/epic... Are they good/epic? :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »

Crisis Core was pretty. It was also dry. 
Even though I've only played a little bit of the PSP version, Yggdra Union definitely deserves that spot because I can tell I will definitely enjoy it. I just wish I had time to play it...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »

While I like Golden Sun, calling it one of the best RPGs of the generation is stretching it.

But I think calling it one of the best on the GBA is fair.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 01:04:04 AM »

Mesh: Yes, Yggdra Union is absolutely amazing.  I would say it's the best SRPG ever made, and I've played a LOT of SRPG's.  Watch out though, because it can also be brutally hard and it tends to have a pretty steep learning curve.  I'm still discovering new things about the nuances of the game!

It's a good game, I played it and love it. The game is pretty hard, well at least for me and I'm pretty good with Strategy games as well.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »

While I like Golden Sun, calling it one of the best RPGs of the generation is stretching it.

But I think calling it one of the best on the GBA is fair.

That speaks quite poorly of the GBA, the game is ok, no masterpiece at all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 02:18:03 AM »

I liked it, though I never did get a chance to play The Lost Age.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 02:30:08 AM »

That speaks quite poorly of the GBA, the game is ok, no masterpiece at all.

I always DID feel disappointed at the number of more traditional RPGs worth playing on the GBA... well, locally released anyway. Mother 3 probably could've toppled it had it come out here, and if they're only going to list one GBA RPG it'd be a bit weak to just mention one of the FF ports.
Pugz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 04:48:53 AM »

I definitely need to check out Folklore, I've heard that game is quite the sleeper hit. I do like the art direction, and it comes across as very adequate in the narrative and game design department, can anyone here lend some thoughts on the game?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »

I'd replace Golden Sun with Fire Emblem. Golden Sun was nothing more than an above avarage game to me. The graphics were nice, the battle system was fast enough and most of the dungeons were fun. What annoyed me was that the characters all talked to much. They needed whole minutes to explain even the most basic things. I don't mind huge amounts of text boxes in games like Phoenix Wright, because those characters have something interesting/entertaining to say? But Golden Sun had boring characters that talked about boring things, bah.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 08:21:08 AM »

I didn't really like FE much but I can recognize that it was definitely a solid game, and something I could see being in that spot a lot more. There really weren't a lot of GBA RPGs though. Not counting a few FF ports and some of the more marginally RPG games (CIMA, RCR DX, Scurge... All of which I liked, buuuuut...) we're left with a few MORE shoddy ports (ToP, Sword of Mana), some fairly decent ports (BoF games), Pokemon, Riveria, Fire Emblem, Mother 3, Golden Sun, and uh... FFTA?

I was under the impression that Yggdra Union was also more strategy than strategy RPG, too.

Also, always wanted to try Car Battler Joe, now that I think about it...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »

There were also the Super Robot Taisen games, Robopon, Demikids, a Dokapon game, the Boktai games(if you count those), Lufia: The Ruins of Lore(It was bad but it was still an RPG), Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Kingdom Hearts, the Megaman Battle Network games (Again if you count them as RPG's), Shining Soul and Phantasy Star(more ports), the Summon Night games, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

GBA had tons of RPG's.  And a lot of them were pretty damn good.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »

I'd replace Golden Sun with Fire Emblem. Golden Sun was nothing more than an above avarage game to me. The graphics were nice, the battle system was fast enough and most of the dungeons were fun. What annoyed me was that the characters all talked to much. They needed whole minutes to explain even the most basic things. I don't mind huge amounts of text boxes in games like Phoenix Wright, because those characters have something interesting/entertaining to say? But Golden Sun had boring characters that talked about boring things, bah.
I never knew Golden Sun was so controversial! Like some others, I found the game to be positively excellent, and think it holds up well even today.

I actually take exception to a few things, though:
1. I think calling Folklore an RPG is a stretch, but considering that there's no fifth RPG to put there (if we don't do repeats), I guess it's forgivable.
2. Monster Hunter Freedom, though, is almost unforgivable - it's just not an RPG, even 1up lists it as an action game for crying out loud. Disgaea belongs on the PSP list way more than MHF.
3. Zelda: Twilight Princess isn't an RPG, either.

Eternal Sonata is listed on the PS3 side because it got the enhanced port, I think, same sort of reason Fallout 3 is listed for the 360 because of the DLC.

The Wii list must have been stupidly easy to write - there's only like six native RPGs on the platform. :) Guess they couldn't bring themselves to put Opoona on the list...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:23:20 AM by erwos » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 09:28:16 AM »

3. Zelda: Twilight Princess isn't an RPG, either.

Well, Nintendo classifis it as an RPG, so they're not really remiss in putting it in there.

And Monster Hunter is very much an RPG.  An action RPG, but an RPG nonetheless.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »

I never knew Golden Sun was so controversial! Like some others, I found the game to be positively excellent, and think it holds up well even today.

Golden Sun was one of the first GBA RPG's, so it got a lot of attention. It's not a bad game by any means, but there are plenty of GBA RPG's that can compete with it for that spot. However, Golden Sun is a popular game, so I guess it's an essential game if you want to know what everyone is talking about.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »

GS also seemed to use some of the sprites from Beyond the Beyond in places at times.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: