Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  1up: Essential RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: 1up: Essential RPGs  (Read 15169 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »

But by the same factor, sometimes awful games have spawned great things.  Silent Hill came about because Alone in the Dark came first.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

But by the same factor, sometimes awful games have spawned great things.  Silent Hill came about because Alone in the Dark came first.

Did the silent hill staff actually took that game as an influence? Not that i know.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »

Alone in the Dark created the Survival/Horror genre, Resident Evil perfected it and made it a viable genre, and that allowed Silent Hill to get funded.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »

Alone in the Dark created the Survival/Horror genre, Resident Evil perfected it and made it a viable genre, and that allowed Silent Hill to get funded.

But Silent Hill did things way too different from Resident Evil, and at the end what matter is the end result of the product. Just because they are in the same genre, or that they got similar influences (which they didn't) doesn't mean that they are the same thing.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:51:31 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »

With FFX no game previously enabled you to change characters in battle on the fly

Breath of Fire IV.

Editor's Note

THIS ISN'T HOW YOU USE IT. Unless you actually have someone go and proofread your posts, which isn't the case if you're appending your thoughts.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »

With FFX no game previously enabled you to change characters in battle on the fly

Breath of Fire IV.

Technically, BoF1 allowed you to do this too.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:06 AM »

I figured there were more that were recent, but that stood out the most in my mind.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 12:53:05 AM »

Heck, for that matter, Dragon Quest IV let you switch characters in and out in the midst of battle & that was a NES game.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 01:08:24 AM »

Only on the overworld, though, which is arguably the point at which it was least useful. But still, you ARE right.

Also technically early SMT games did this too, except monsters didn't level up till Nocturne, and demons are sort of fundamentally not party members in the same sense, so not really counting it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 02:19:37 AM »

Breath of Fire IV.

BoF4 did a better job of it as well. Sure, you had to switch party members to hit monsters' weaknesses in Final Fantasy X, but Breath of Fire IV had a neat little combo system and the people in the back row actually did something, like cheer the people in the front row on.
Zeus

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »

How did any of those games mimic FFX in a way that FFX didn't mimic some other game in?

Being influential and being original are two different things. Doom clearly aped Wolfenstein, but nevertheless, it was Doom that brought the FPS genre to the mainstream, and thus new FPS games were called "Doom clones" for years.

Just because FFX didn't invent the things it made popular doesn't mean it wasn't influential. That's pretty much how everything works. A concept will be around for years, and then all it takes is one high profile game, TV show or band to come along and get so much success that everyone starts to imitate them, neither knowing nor caring that they weren't the originators.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:18:22 PM by Zeus » Logged

Blarg!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: