Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329833 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why do I not understand all the fuss about Chrono Trigger DS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Why do I not understand all the fuss about Chrono Trigger DS?  (Read 10645 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »

Tell me why I need to play it.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »

Someone told you you NEED to play it?

The game is awesome, and at the time it came out it had a lot of things going for it you didn't see in other RPG's. Too many to name even. But, if you're a more recent gamer and didn't play it back in the day when you could compare to the other RPG's of the time, I could see where you might not think it's as great as us old timers do.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »

Well if you're a Chrono Trigger fan, you'd probably like it since it has additional endings, additional dungeons (not sure about one dungeon though...), additional difficulty(?), etc.

Other than that, it has been one of the top JRPGs of all time.

edit

It's about an RPG about time travel and time travel affecting the story
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:29:56 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »

I still contend that the only really good thing about Chrono Trigger is its graphics.  I don't think I've seen a game to date that has a more endearing graphical quality than the one used in CT.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

I really don't like CT at all, but then again there are games that I like that others don't.

I don't really care for FF6 or 7 either, but 99% of those out there do.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »

Chrono Trigger is like one of those classic movies of the RPG world.  Of course, not every classic movie suits every taste.  Do you like every movie that won a best picture Oscar?  I certainly don't. 

Of course, I'm one of the legion who loved Chrono Trigger.  It's that classic movie that everyone has seen, whether they liked it or not.  And most people liked it.  But sometimes it's like Elaine and "The English Patient" from that episode of Seinfeld. 

EDIT: Of course, hype can mess with your expectation.  I remember one friend hyping up FF6 to be this second coming, then I played it and found it boring.  I actually fell asleep while playing it.  After 10 hours, I said "forget it."  I tried it again years later with an older, more mature and more objective frame of mind... and I still found it boring.

There's no accounting for taste. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:22:34 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »

It's a really fun game, as simple as that. If you like fun games you should like CT.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »

It's a fun, light-hearted romp and COMBO TECHS ARE COOL.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

It's the pinnacle of refined game design in RPGs. It does nothing wrong, does almost everything right, never lags out or slows down beyond the needs of the narrative, and requires almost zero grinding. It's fun, it has a great cast, it's genuine in its emotions, and it has a ton of memorable moments.

In the end, Chrono Trigger is a tall, frothy milkshake, made from the best quality ingredients. Sure it won't alter your life viewpoint or change the world, but it's not trying to. All it wants to be is delicious, and it succeeds.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »

After seeing Mark's post... just play the game before people set your expectations too high. I doubt you'll be as blown away as some of us were who got to play it when or near its release, but it's worth checking out to see one of the top 16-bit RPGs.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »

[quoteIt's a fun, light-hearted romp...[/quote]

...where you inadvertently commit genocide :3 Also a bunch of OTHER rather-much-unhappy bits. It also uncannies its own valley* around Zeal or thereabouts, but not the extent that Earthbound uncannies ITS own valley with, uh, everything after Twoson.

Anyway, it's a good game. When I was younger it was my favorite game. Now not so much. It has a nice story, probably one of the best videogame soundtracks ever, and lots of really nice little personable touches. Gameplay wise, combos are cool, definitely make ATB meaningful for, uh, once, and it has some sidequests. More disadvantageous, it's incredibly easy except for a few bosses, dungeons kind of tend towards largeish and empty, and all of the sidequests are wedged into the very end. Also, the towns are very small and unimportant. And while a lot of people mention the fast pace as a plus, I... really wish it would've slowed down. Sometimes it feels like it's rushing the player.

* I think I explained what that means elsewhere.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

chrono trigger is like a legend. and the truth rarely lives up to the legend. having said that chrono trigger is the only rpg on the snes that squaresoft had a part in that held my attantion long enough for me to complete the game. that and ayla was one of the first strong females i saw in an rpg.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »

Tell me why I need to play it.

Because it's Chrono Trigger.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »

...where you inadvertently commit genocide :3 Also a bunch of OTHER rather-much-unhappy bits.

Please explain to me when/where Chrono and his party are the cause of a genocide, and how it wasn't taking place before their time-traveling-meddling? Because I'm PRETTY SURE the way the story works is that, whether you were there or not, lots of people die.

(I'm assuming you're talking about...)

Code:
a) no more Reptites and/or
b) floating continent Zeal crashing

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »

Actually it depends on what theory of time travel you ascribe to. There's the immutable timeline theory (meaning everything happens exactly how it happens no matter who intervenes, kind of a fatalistic approach), and there's the Grandfather Paradox theory (meaning that if you do something in the past, it'll change everything in the future).

Code:
So either the Reptites died with or without Crono's intervention, or they died BECAUSE he intervened, and the present he lived in now at the beginning of the game is only possible because the future him went into the past and killed off the Reptites.

Considering what you could do with Lucca, I'm considering the latter more likely. So... yeah, Crono is quite guilty of genocide. :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: