Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:50:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334773 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why do I not understand all the fuss about Chrono Trigger DS?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Why do I not understand all the fuss about Chrono Trigger DS?  (Read 10691 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »

Except it's still not really all that hard even if you ignore weaknesses, because it's Chrono Trigger and it's very easy.

Also, really, CT's battle system is ATB with combos. It hasn't really aged any better or worse than any post-FFIV ATB battle system because they're all very, very similar. Combos DO make waiting around a bit meaningful, but the easiness of the game still kind of offsets that.

I have to admit it, the SNES version of Chrono Trigger was easy for me (maybe it's because I've played it for more than 10 times?)... but in the DS version, it got somewhat harder at midpoint, some of my characters were struggling to survive. Of course New Game + makes it all easy.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »

I've never play a JRPG for a challenge. I play them for the story, the adventure. And Chrono trigger just has so many memorable moments. Such as one of my favorite boss battles against Magus. That's a legend, and I still remember it. I love Magus' theme but then again, that's probably a big part of the reason I found that battle so incredible.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 06:14:33 AM »

Honestly, the only RPGs I expect to get challenge from is Action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts or something. There's no real way to make a Turn-based RPG "difficult" because most of what is happening is being determined by some calculator, and half the time the difficulty is only there to pad out the game by forcing you to grind your characters until you can beat something.
seaechiowai
Soldier Nerd

Long live gaming.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:38 AM »

Back in 95, 96 ish I'd have recommended CT.

Now, considering the Sqare tax and how utterly old the game became(and how little they updated it), I recommend something like Dragon Quest monster Joker or Rune Factory 1 instead.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »

Honestly, the only RPGs I expect to get challenge from is Action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts or something. There's no real way to make a Turn-based RPG "difficult" because most of what is happening is being determined by some calculator, and half the time the difficulty is only there to pad out the game by forcing you to grind your characters until you can beat something.

Nocturne says sup.
Pesmerga

for-shizzle-nizzle@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »

Being a huge fan of this game i can't really understand why anyone who has ever played an rpg before would not think this game is almost a perfect rpg to play. but i can kinda understand the frusturation on how the same game has been re-made over and over again. i personally dont mind that they did that but i think they should have spent that time making a better sequle for chrono trigger then they did with chrono cross. chrono cross i thought was madd fun butttt. i duno. they could have made a much better sequel for C.T. with more todo with the orignal characters  maybe next generation kinda thing. i dunno.  :P
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 12:21:24 PM »

Ever play the new Star Ocean? I quit playing because it was too difficult. Combine too few healing items with sparse save points and you have difficult.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »

Breath of Fire 2
Valkyrie Profile (1 and 2)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Alundra (although not exactly an RPG, it still is difficult)

Those are the games that I can think of that have quite some difficulty
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:52:46 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »

The first Valkyrie Profile is only hard if you play it on easy, hilariously enough.  On Hard mode you can get enough broken weapons that the game isn't really hard at all.

And I also never really considered Breath of Fire games to be hard.  What did you fnd to be so difficult about BoF2, if you don't mind me asking?
ULTROS!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »

And I also never really considered Breath of Fire games to be hard.  What did you fnd to be so difficult about BoF2, if you don't mind me asking?

The bosses, enemies, and the final stage
Code:
AFAIK... no save point at the last and the final boss was a real killer
... But this is the SNES version. I'm not so sure about the GBA version.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »

There's also the matter of the battle system taking place on the map. I always considered this an entirely aesthetic thing, because it IS. And I have to admit that when I was 11 and first playing CT, I thought this was the coolest thing in the world. And now I don't.

I disagree.  Navigating dungeons drives me nuts, so having battles take place on the same map that I'm trying to navigate made things much easier for me.  Maybe I have a bad memory, but I always feel lost when I return to the map from a completely separate battle screen. 

When I read this thread title, I wanted to know the answer myself.  FFIV DS was redone in 3D with voice acting, combat changes, etc, so it isn't hard to see why it is worth a shot.  Besides the portability of this version of CT, what is the fuss about this game being on DS?  How much new content is there?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »

There's not really any meaningful new content. It got a retranslation -- and of all the Square games I've played, CT's probably the one I thought needed a retranslation the LEAST, and I honestly, honestly get the impression that Woolsey's translation was an improvement on the original script because from what I've seen there's no indication that there was any sort of character development or personality in that at all -- and some tacked on stuff that doesn't matter much.

Also, CT's dungeons were, with a few mid and late game exceptions, fairly tiny and straightforward. That, more than the battle system's presentation, probably helped against you getting lost in them. Square never really did do PS2-ish cyclopean clusterfucks, for that matter.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »

Actually, I'd say the aforementioned FFIV needed a new translation even less. It received two quality re-translations prior, with the second fine tuning the prior one (or so I've heard), then rather than simply recycle that for the DS version they kinda went insane and slathered a bunch of archaic terms on it. Not that means Chrono Trigger needed a new translation, but a lighter one like that gives an incentive to play again, and it wasn't like they either went over the top like FFIV's or literal to a fault like the fan translation did.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »

Nocturne says sup.

Nocturne is more frustrating then anything. But then thats why most RPGs are not diffucult in the first place.

Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2? When where they difficult? Well, I supose they are harder then other JRPGs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:37:05 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:40 AM »

Nocturne is more frustrating then anything.

I have to ask, what exactly separates "hard" and "frustrating" for you?  For me, frustrating lends itself more to games that are actually broken; hard to beat because they are designed poorly or are heavily flawed in some way.  And Nocturne certainly wasn't either of those.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: