Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327203 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy X or XII?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy X or XII?  (Read 22735 times)
mr_rosebud

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »

Hello,

I just recently bought myself a PS2 in order to be able to play (the fantastic) Persona 4. The huge amount of good times I am having playing this game has given rise to a question that I think you seasoned gamers out there can answer for me: what game shall I play first after finishing P4, if I am jonesing for some additional JRPG-sweetness: Final Fantasy X or XII?

I've never played a Final Fantasy game, albeit I have enjoyed a couple of JRPG games besides P4 (such as Skies of Arcadia, Baten Kaitos and Anachronox, if that one counts).

Any help whatsoever is much appreciated!
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:01:03 PM »

I recommend FFX. Though I enjoyed FFXII as well, I think X will be the overall more enjoyable game for someone one who's new to FF games. XII is just one of those you hate or love games and the only way to know if you will like it or not is to play it, so yeah play X first.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:02:19 PM »

I really liked them both, but FFX is my favorite game ever so I'm obviously going to recommend it over FFXII.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »

Another vote for X. It was my introduction to the FF series, and it is a good introduction. And if you end up liking it, be sure to check out X-2 as well.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:20:22 PM »

You really can't go wrong with either, but I'm definitely giving the nudge to FFX. As vague as this may sound, it has much more of an FF vibe to it than XII ever did, so if this is your first time jumping into the series, starting there should give you a pretty good idea of what you're in for.

Plus, FFX has Shoopuffs.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »

I played both, but liked X more so another vote for that game. Personally though, I have the most fondness for the old-school FF games like I-VI, but at this point, it's a little harder for them to be introductory FF games.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »

I'd have to say X because I played through it all. I literally bought XII when it came out, played it a few hours and it's been on the shelf ever since.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »

I suppose this sorta counts as dragging another topic in, but check this Essential RPGs article. BOTH X and XII are recommended for different reasons, so reading that might give you an idea of what you'd really like.

Personally, I really enjoyed X and blasted through it quickly, while XII is left unfinished but I feel I appreciate more. If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:00:07 PM by Eusis » Logged
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:54:57 PM »

FFXII is awesome...once.  It's too long for its own good, so I'll probably never play all the way through it again.

On the other hand, FFX is awesome and short as hell compared to all the other 60+ hour slogs on the system.

FFX is my favorite game in the series (and I've been playing them since the first one), but you really can't go wrong with either of them.  Just get whichever one you can get the cheapest. :P

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »

That explanation is very good. Good link Eusis.

Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »

FFX for sure, it's the better experience.  FFXII is like a mmorpg without the mmo.  It fails to have a great story that a regular J-RPG would have and real mmorpgs are funner due to it having mmo aspect.  Yeah, I'm admittedly a FFXII hater. =]

Finished RPG Count: 90
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

FFXII is like a mmorpg without the mmo.
So... it's an RPG?  :D

Go with Final Fantasy X.  It was my first RPG and is one of my favourites. 
As much as I love FFXII (and I LOVE FFXII), you should probably go with FFX because like most others say, FFXII is generally a love-or-hate type of game.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:42:40 PM by Geop » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »

FFXII is my favorite of the PS2 FFs, but it's not a good introductory game to the series.

Go with FFX.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »

PS2 blah blah blah

Get Final Fantasy Chronicles and Final Fantasy Anthology, then Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy 10, Final Fantasy 12, then look back at what you've done.

A PS2 can play PS1 games.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

Get Final Fantasy Chronicles and Final Fantasy Anthology

NO

FFIV aside, they're all mediocre ports that are completely outdone by their portable iterations. FFIV is a bit more dubious since the PS1 port wasn't all that bad while the GBA version introduced some bugs, but they were squashed for the European release. There's the DS remake too, but I didn't like it much. Anyways, X's perfectly fine as a starter FF, I'd save the historical trip for after deciding if like the newer games.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:15:13 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: