Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327268 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy X or XII?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy X or XII?  (Read 22737 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »

I was talking about the writing, not the performances.

Hmm...well f*ck me. That's a whole other thing.

I'll need to think about that one for awhile.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2009, 12:15:36 AM »

How was XII hard to follow? Only RPG I've played that had a story hard to follow was FFT, mainly due to the vast number of subplots in the game.

I found by the end of FFXII that I just didn't care.

Somone was trying to take over, they didn't. The rest of it I just stopped paying attention to because it got so muddled and random.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2009, 02:26:58 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:27:35 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2009, 06:03:17 AM »

One more thing that XII has over X is a relevant villain.

Indeed, as i said already, FFX and it's attempt at trying to present this difficult father-son relation between Jetch and Tidus (a big point in the story) failed in every possible way. Also, Seymour Guado is probably the lamest villian in the franchise. Ultros could kick his ass any day of the week.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2009, 11:54:57 AM »

I thought the Jecht/Tidus dynamic was rather poignant. Made Tidus a believable character, and gave him issues to work through without being a mopey jackass.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »

I do disagree there. I don't think we ever see enough of Jecht or know enough about him for him to manifest a believable personality. Jecht fits more a big brother archetype and less so an abusive or absent father.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

We knew enough about him to make Tidus believable. We don't need characterization on Jecht because the story focuses on Tidus and his abandonment issues, and how those issues play out when Tidus finds out what really happened to Jecht.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

I can't even remember why Tidus was angry at his dad, because he left to act as a guardian with Auron? That's it? Not exactly into what i would call "complex character relations".
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was because he thought that Jecht was always taking his mom away from him and that Jecht hated him and made fun of him.  We learn that this isn't true eventually.

I don't think he willingly left to go be a guardian.  Braska and Auron found him in a jail cell didn't they? 

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »

We knew enough about him to make Tidus believable. We don't need characterization on Jecht because the story focuses on Tidus and his abandonment issues, and how those issues play out when Tidus finds out what really happened to Jecht.

Tidus yes, but with Jecht being an unbelievable component in terms of portrayal, I didn't end up buying the whole abandonment issues thing. Just didn't feel true enough to make me care about that part of Tidus' life.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »

I can't even remember why Tidus was angry at his dad, because he left to act as a guardian with Auron? That's it? Not exactly into what i would call "complex character relations".

Remember, Tidus didn't know his dad was thrown into Spira. He thought Jecht just up and ran off with some other woman. So basically to Tidus, Jecht verbally abused the hell out of his son, abandoned his family, and left his mom to waste away and die.

Tidus yes, but with Jecht being an unbelievable component in terms of portrayal, I didn't end up buying the whole abandonment issues thing. Just didn't feel true enough to make me care about that part of Tidus' life.

No offense, but you used to think that Tidus "wasn't an essential part" of Final Fantasy X's story. There are a lot of cutscenes where it actually appears that young Tidus actually admires and idolizes his father despite him being a total dick, but then Jecht "left" and all Tidus was left with was having to go through his developmental years without his father and watching his mother waste away. So basically this conflict of love and hate just turned all to hate when he thought his dad left. When he was sent to Spira and found out his father had been victim to the same thing, and now that he ended up being Sin, it sort of invalidated all the reasons that Tidushad to hate his dad, but Tidus couldn't just let go of it all just like that. It progressed so at the end when Tidus was telling Jecht he hated him, you know he didn't mean it, but it was just how father and son interacted - Tidus "manned up," which was what Jecht was trying to do when Tidus was younger. There's a lot to the Tidus/Jecht dynamic to found - if you spared the time and effort into actually watching the cutscenes and analyzing them.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »

That was the most I've ever read about Tidus and Jecht in my whole life.

But what really matters is that we all acknowledge this: Seymour is a douche.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »

That was the most I've ever read about Tidus and Jecht in my whole life.

I was going to type stuff like every time someone said something bad about FFX, but Ash always beat me to it and his explanations are great, so I'm just cheering him on at this point.

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »

One more thing that XII has over X is a relevant villain.

This is just plain wrong.  The main villain in FFX was Sin, a gigantic incarnation of death that's terrorizing the planet.  And unlike most ultimate evils in Final Fantasy games, this one appears doesn't wait until the last dungeon to appear; it shows up in the very first area and makes numerous appearances throughout the game.  More importantly, the entire culture & history of the world is centered around Sin.  Not only is the main FFX villain relevant, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more relevant villain in any other game.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »

I liked the whole concept of Sin as an entity of destruction that keeps coming back and such, but again, Jetch feels so poorly developed that by the end the whole climax about fighting against him didn't felt that "climatic" at all.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: