Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 05:23:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338316 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy X or XII?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy X or XII?  (Read 23509 times)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »

I would say VI or IV (not the DS version) should be your real introduction to the franchise. But X and XII are not a bad place to start.
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »

For someone like yourself without much experience with JRPG's, Final Fantasy X is by far the better choice to start with.  Not to take away from FFXII, but it requires more of a specific taste, while X is rather universal.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »

For someone like yourself without much experience with JRPG's, Final Fantasy X is by far the better choice to start with.  Not to take away from FFXII, but it requires more of a specific taste, while X is rather universal.

Or in other words, FFX is just easier to get into. The (linear) exploration, combat system and so on is as simple as it can get.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »

I would say X to start with as well but you should also check out 7,8, and 9. All great games but some have a problem with 8. Personally, I thought it was a superb game.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »

FFX for sure, it's the better experience.  FFXII is like a mmorpg without the mmo.  It fails to have a great story that a regular J-RPG would have and real mmorpgs are funner due to it having mmo aspect.  Yeah, I'm admittedly a FFXII hater. =]

Oh for crying out loud. What the fuck is the point of calling FXII a MMORPG without the MMO? You just described every non MMO RPG in existence. FFXII plays like any counsel JRPG.

Oh and the story is awesome, the only real issue was the pacing of the story wasn't really ideal for a video game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

What kind of JRPGs have you been playing? The gameplay of FFXII is very similar to what's in many MMORPGs, and if not that then it has notable similarities to, say, Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic that most JRPGs don't have.
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »

What kind of JRPGs have you been playing? The gameplay of FFXII is very similar to what's in many MMORPGs, and if not that then it has notable similarities to, say, Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic that most JRPGs don't have.

I can ask you the same thing. What kind of JRPGs have you been playing because FFXII is a ATB game just like FF IV-IX was.

FFXII is a ATB Final Fantasy and plays just like any of the other ATB FF games with one difference. The gambit system. Even then, you don't have use the gambit system and you can fully control you group making the game play the same as any other ATB FF game. The combat menu is even the same, most MMORPGs don't even have a menu system during combat and use hotbuttons instead. You want to know the real difference between FFXII and most every MMO ever made? FFXII is still turn based where as  most MMOs are full real time. The experience and feel is completely different and anyone who's played a MMO for more than just a few levels knows this.

You, like many who claim FFXII is just like a MMO, are getting presentation confused with game play. Just because you don't go to a different screen to fight monsters dose not make the game a fucking MMO people. Just because you are to lazy to control you group and allow the gambit system to do it for you does not make the game a MMO.

I've already made this case about MMOs, but I guess I'll have to make it again. MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. That is the main difference between MMO games and non MMO games. Most MMO games have game play elements form other games which should be no surprise since all games have pretty much the same elements as others in their genre. MMOs adjust those game play elements to be used in a multiplayer online system with a few unique game play elements that only a Multiplayer Online game could have.

So please tell me how FFXII, a game you play offline without anyone else is the same thing as a game that you play online with tons of other people. FFXII is turn based. You wait until your character is able to do an action and you chose ONE action to perform from a menu. In a MMORPG you don't wait for you character to have a turn, you are active performing you skills throughout the fight without using a menu. There's a shit ton of differences between FFXII and MMOs I could get into but as I said in a different thread, I could write a book on how FFXII is nothing like a MMO.

Oh, and I'll disagree with you that FFXII plays like KotR (can't commit on Baldur's Gate since I've never played it)since it plays nothing like it. But even if it did who cares, KotR is nothing like a MMO ether.

Based on the ideas that people spew out about FFXII being a "offline" MMO, every single game ever created is a "offline" MMO.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »

I'd choose X. It felt more "magical/fantasy-like" in X than in XII. XD

Besides X is my top 1 favorite FF lol.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:46 AM »

In a MMORPG you don't wait for you character to have a turn, you are active performing you skills throughout the fight without using a menu.

Nope, you still have turns in an MMO, at least in the same fashion FFXII does. You perform an action, then wait until you can do another. You could bring up Diablo and Phantasy Star Online/Universe, but those aren't MMOs anyway. Besides, the hot keys are a function granted because of the ability to use a keyboard with its multitude of buttons, playing something like Final Fantasy XI with a gamepad lets you go through all those menus as if you were playing any other JRPG.

Oh, and the way enemy encounters IS fundamentally different. You want something that's essentially the same despite a lack of a separate battle field, look at Chrono Trigger. You have an encounter with set enemies, maybe some extra that happen to be on screen when the encounter begins, and from that point it unfolds more or less like any other ATB Final Fantasy. Meanwhile, in FFXII the world doesn't stop for this one battle. You can walk around still and either drag more enemies in or they'll see the battle as they're passing by and jump in. How is this like other FFs and completely unlike MMOs?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:47:56 AM by Eusis » Logged
mr_rosebud

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »

Many thanks, guys! And yes, the link was great.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »

I still wouldn't say FFXII plays like an MMO. The battle mechanics are apparently more like recent MMOs (which I wouldn't understand. Seriously. The only MMOs I know are UO, Era Online, and Graal, and none of those play like FFXII :P), although it could also be said that they're very similar to Infinity Engine's setup, too, so what they're doing isn't STRICTLY MMO related (Also, Ultima 7 and Contact, for instance, both used a "walk around, automatically fight things" approach for combat. U7's actually probably the closest comparison. Whatever).

Anyway though, there IS more too it than that. Namely, as far as the skill system goes, what FFXII uses is... very JRPGish in it's... eh, approach. Skillwise, I mean, I'd expect skill trees for like, magic and attacks, and a lot of non-combat skills -- smithing, fishing, sneaking. Something a little like EO or RS:MS, if you will. There's also no real set notion of character archetypes, which is central to a lot of MMOs. And uh... I don't know, just the general way the game progresses. It DOES do a lot of things that are facsimiles of what you see in an MMO, but they just seem off, I guess. I can't explain it.

The most MMOish thing about it is probably how loot, drops, and mobs work, and also hunts. I still wouldn't say that makes it like an offline MMO, though. Necessarily.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 04:45:56 AM »

Final Fantasy X should definitely be played before XII. No-brainer there.

In all honesty however, if you're new to Final Fantasies, then X isn't particularly the best to start with. I'd recommend starting with FFI, IV, VI or IX. FFVII is also another possibility (which is the one I started with), though if you want an affordable copy, then you'd have to get the Japanese version. I hope this somewhat helped.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 06:11:06 AM »

Nope, you still have turns in an MMO, at least in the same fashion FFXII does. You perform an action, then wait until you can do another. You could bring up Diablo and Phantasy Star Online/Universe, but those aren't MMOs anyway. Besides, the hot keys are a function granted because of the ability to use a keyboard with its multitude of buttons, playing something like Final Fantasy XI with a gamepad lets you go through all those menus as if you were playing any other JRPG.

No, you don't have turns in most MMOs.

Everquest 2. I have a level  80 Swashbuckler. I have 24 different combat skills all of which I can use at any time so long as they are not refreshing after having been used. I can hit Walk the Plank which hits the mob for some damage and than spins the mob around exposing its back to me. I can than hit one of my back attacks. No waiting. I can literally chain all 24 of my combat skills with out haveing to wait a turn. If this was FFXII I would use Walk the Plank and than have to wait for my ATB bar to fill before I could hit my back attack.

WoW. I had a level 62 Hunter before I quit. I could chain my combat skills just like my example for EQ2 above. I didn't have to wait for a turn  or for a time bar to fill up in order to be able to fire off a 2nd skill.

FFXI. I had a level 35 Monk before quitting. With enough TP I can cast Boost and than follow up with combo attack right off the bat. In FXII I would cast boost and than have to wait a turn to attack. FFXI is one of the few MMOs that has a menu you can chose to use over hotkeys. Guess what, playing the game with a controller and using the menu system sucks, big time.

The hotkey is a function in a MMO because skills are more reaction based because the games are in real time and a menu just does not work for that. If I hit Walk the Plank to spin a mob around in EQ2 I only have a split sec to get off a back attack before the mob turns around. I don't have time to dick around with a menu system.

You have full control of your party in FFXII, even if you're using the gambit system you know your party members are going to do what you set them up to do. In a MMORPG you're hoping the other member are going to do what is necessary because they are played by other people and you have no control on what they do.

Once again, MMOs play nothing like FFXII. Not even close.

Oh, and the way enemy encounters IS fundamentally different. You want something that's essentially the same despite a lack of a separate battle field, look at Chrono Trigger. You have an encounter with set enemies, maybe some extra that happen to be on screen when the encounter begins, and from that point it unfolds more or less like any other ATB Final Fantasy. Meanwhile, in FFXII the world doesn't stop for this one battle. You can walk around still and either drag more enemies in or they'll see the battle as they're passing by and jump in. How is this like other FFs and completely unlike MMOs?

It is fundamentally different in it's presentation, not function. This is the same retarded comparison made between an overview map and a non overview map. The only difference is how it looks. In FFXII you walk up and attack a mob and it's possible a 2nd or 3rd mob may wonder over and join in so now you're dealing with 3 mobs instead of the original one. Last time I checked, most Final Fantasy games could have more than one monster attack you. The only difference was that they all appeared at once where as in FFXII they could join in instead of all being on the battle screen at once. This is just really a cosmetic difference, it's pretty damn obvious that Mob B who is just standing a few feet away from Mob A is going to join the fight at least you know you're going to be fighting those two and maybe a 3rd one that just a little bit farther off. It's not like mobs from across the zone where all bum rushing you. It was pretty rare that a mob outside of the area I was fighting in wonder over and "added" in FFXII. You pretty much knew what you were going to fight in a set space.

And why is this considered a MMO system? FPS and Action Adventure games have had this going long before MMOs were even around. Why is it just FFXII is compared to MMOs and not any of the Zelda games or Bioshock?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 07:52:56 AM »

First of all, congratulations for your purchase, Persona 4 is a fantastic game.

I think you should buy both but start with FFX, it has a more traditional style and is turn based like P4. It's an amazing game and a completely different experience from Persona.
If you like it, which I'm sure you will, you should check out its direct sequel FFX-2. FFXII is very different in terms of gameplay but if you go in with an open mind you will discover one of the most amazing games created for the PS2 and experience a different approach to the rpg genre.

But more importantly, be sure to check out Persona 4's prequel, Persona 3 FES.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 08:02:37 AM »

I just recently bought myself a PS2 in order to be able to play (the fantastic) Persona 4.
So, here's what you need to do, if it's not too late:
1. Stop playing Persona 4!
2. Buy Persona 3: FES.
3. Play Persona 3: FES.
4. Play Persona 4.

I like FFX and FFXII plenty, but playing Persona 4 is going to ruin you for Persona 3, and P3 is a game that every serious RPG fan should play through at least once.

Anyways, back on topic: FFX first, and then FFXII. Skip FFX-2 unless you LOVED FFX to death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: