Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334801 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  How can MMORPGs be considered real games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How can MMORPGs be considered real games?  (Read 5042 times)
Alluminitti

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »

MMORPGs generally require no skill and aren't fun. Anyone that finds grinding for hours upon hours entertaining clearly has a mental deficiency. And the games have no real, tangible goal. Very rarely do people who start MMOs reach the maximum level.

It's like being a prisoner and you're forced into long-term manual labor with no hope of escaping. All of this while you're paying a monthly fee and putting money in the game developer's pocket.

From my own personal experience with playing various MMORPGs, the other players appear to be depressed teens who get picked on at school, have tried drugs, have no friends, and/or abusive parents, etc. Not saying all MMO players are like this but I'm not surprised. Anyone who willingly gives up their real life to engage in a virtual community to compete in an artificial society must be a miserable person.

Also from my experience, it seems that the main thing that motivates players to continually grind levels is to increase their social standings in the game. "Look at my shiny armor! It's glowing! I'm lvl 100, look at me!!" I believe an MMO is a tool for teens who have been rejected in society to drown their sorrow in some virtual world and suppress their thoughts for suicide.

My rant is over.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

I believe an MMO is a tool for teens who have been rejected in society

Anyone that finds grinding for hours upon hours entertaining clearly has a mental deficiency.

From my own personal experience with playing various MMORPGs

Please, tell us more about how people enjoying MMORPGs personally bothers you.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:46:30 AM »

Sounds like someone is butthurt he got booted out of his Guild.
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »

MMORPGs generally require no skill and aren't fun. Anyone that finds grinding for hours upon hours entertaining clearly has a mental deficiency. And the games have no real, tangible goal. Very rarely do people who start MMOs reach the maximum level.

From my own personal experience with playing various MMORPGs, the other players appear to be depressed teens who get picked on at school, have tried drugs, have no friends, and/or abusive parents, etc. Not saying all MMO players are like this but I'm not surprised. Anyone who willingly gives up their real life to engage in a virtual community to compete in an artificial society must be a miserable person.

So I take it you made no friends online... nor offline.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »

Anyone that finds grinding for hours upon hours entertaining clearly has a mental deficiency.

The two most successful franchises in Japan, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, are all about grinding.  By your definition, Japan must be an island nation of "mentally deficient" retards then, eh?

YOU, sir, are the tool who has been rejected by society, because if you were a remotely productive person, you wouldn't have time to sit around writing pointless rants (that nobody cares about, mind you) on the internet.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »

This is a well-researched and informative essay.  I look forward to your future contributions.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »

The two most successful franchises in Japan, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, are all about grinding.

Three. You forgot Pokemans. :)

I dunno about you guys, but I'm 100% convinced that this is a joke thread.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »

Really? I'm 100% convinced that this is a "serious" thread made by a whiny retard.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:28:50 PM by Hathen » Logged
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »

Yeah, anyone that plays MMOs is mentally deficient. I think that enjoying something that others don't is wrong. Please stop enjoying MMOs because the original poster does not like them. Thank you.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »

I'll attempt to salvage the only sensible question in all of this: What exactly needs to change in MMORPGs to make them good games?

My dislike for MMO's is no small secret. I feel the entire genre's gameplay tends to live in antiquity along with early NES-era titles, only without the nostalgic aesthetics. Heck, I'd actually be more inclined to play a game that looked like an NES/SNES-era title, but with a persistent online world.

While the rest of gaming seems to change up battle controls and whatnot every so often, MMORPGs are pretty consistent in their formulas. You have basically TWO models that most companies work from: auto battle with spell/skill macros, or point-and-click with spell/skill macros. I personally have to wonder if something like Valkyria Chronicles' battle dynamics wouldn't be a great way to change the way MMORPGs are played.

So yeah... Let's go that route in this discussion shall we?
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:04:09 AM »

I heard about this FTP MMORPG called Atlantica that changes things up a bit.  A schoolmate told me to play with him, but my computer was shit at the time (a couple weeks ago).  Its a turn-based MMORPG or something.  I think the battles go into a new screen like most(?) turn-based RPGs.  You hire people and mercenaries and shit until you have a party of 9, if I remember correctly.  Maybe I'll try it out on my new laptop;  I was quite intrigued at the time of hearing about the game.

I was going to say maybe MMORPGs should incorporate deep, meaningful stories but then I realized that the whole reason why most people play MMOs is to kill shit.  Kill shit a lot.  I don't think there's really anything that can be done.  You gotta please either the current general MMORPG crowd or us, the normal people (:P Kidding, I'd actually play FFXI and other mmos if I had a job...)

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:52 AM »

I support this ridiculous thread 100%.  If you played any commercial MMOs you would know many teens shy away from them because of the whole pay to play aspect, which apparently means procuring mommy and daddy's credit card is easier said than done.  Troll threads are amusing though.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 04:04:16 AM »

I'll attempt to salvage the only sensible question in all of this: What exactly needs to change in MMORPGs to make them good games?

As with any other game, people play MMOs for different reasons. For me, the importance of an MMO is exploration, so art style is very important, which is why I've been playing FFXI for so long, otherwise I'd probably be playing WoW. WoW achieves exploration and grinding at the same time by using the instance system, which is something I think should be applied to every MMO of its type, because FFXI's standard party of standing in one area killing things over and over does get old- this is why those early levels were the most fun, because you were alone, and you could run around all you want and kill stuff/level up along the way. Actually if I'm not mistaken, in WoW you'd get more exp simply doing the same thing you do in FFXI than you would running instances, but the difference isn't jarring enough to justify boring yourself to death.

Grinding is something some people just enjoy. I enjoy a bit of it every now and then, but I'm glad I have jobs at 75 or I would've stopped playing FFXI a long time ago.

I personally have to wonder if something like Valkyria Chronicles' battle dynamics wouldn't be a great way to change the way MMORPGs are played.

I've actually had discussions on where MMOs should go when people have brought up the Rapture Project. If SE wants Rapture to run alongside FFXI, the gameplay has to be different from FFXI, and thus different from most MMOs out there. Personally, seeing as how most people have high-speed internet these days, I wouldn't mind playing an action RPG online, like Kingdom Hearts or something, where movement input matters a lot more than in a typical MMO.

I was going to say maybe MMORPGs should incorporate deep, meaningful stories

FFXI says hi. Maybe they're not the best stories I've ever seen, but they are progressive, and a lot of them are good. If I'm not mistaken, Wrath of the Lich King has been trying to add cinematic storytelling as well. The trouble comes when you're the type of person that enjoys choices, because ultimately your character will not have any choice that will affect the story other than what is scripted, because the amount of time needed to "replay" a scenario would be too damn long and tedious to justify something like that.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »

FFXI says hi. Maybe they're not the best stories I've ever seen, but they are progressive, and a lot of them are good. If I'm not mistaken, Wrath of the Lich King has been trying to add cinematic storytelling as well. The trouble comes when you're the type of person that enjoys choices, because ultimately your character will not have any choice that will affect the story other than what is scripted, because the amount of time needed to "replay" a scenario would be too damn long and tedious to justify something like that.

Pretty much.  There's cinematic story telling during quests which is a step up, but there's still "hey there are 15 bosses in here and I don't know who the fuck they are or why they are here".  Even when there is, most people just skip over it and they (the developers) know it so they don't add a ton of them.

I will say this though, the wrathgate questline in Dragonblight is definitely their best work in terms of quest storyline.

Personally, seeing as how most people have high-speed internet these days, I wouldn't mind playing an action RPG online, like Kingdom Hearts or something, where movement input matters a lot more than in a typical MMO.

Don't Warhammer and Aion kinda do it already (or at least more than WoW/FFXI)?  With the whole movement idea, I think it runs the risk of turning too much like a MMO Hack-N-Slash.  There also runs the typical balance problems of spell casters vs melee or slowing affects being too powerful against melee.  It'll be interesting to see and I really hope Rapture turns out to be something good.

also throwing in my lulz at the OP too.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »

I wouldn't mind playing an action RPG online
Phantasy Star Universe and Monster Hunter say hi.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: