Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:51:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335210 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "The Greatest Enemy of the RPG Genre" article...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: "The Greatest Enemy of the RPG Genre" article...  (Read 14572 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:02:43 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/2009/04-28.html

I must say, it is well written and it really reflects many of my thoughts about the genre. Interestingly Iīve never heard about the fire emblem issue (A flame war! and me without popcorns )  and I do have certain issues with the Symphonia game because as an rpg is a great but the much of the crowd (although not everyone) it have attracted to the this genre only play tales games and I consider them fanboys rather than Rpg enthusiasts since they canīt see past the hole franchise.

Heck, I know people who played the ToW: Nakiri Dungeon without knowing japanese and not liking much of the tactical genre, and all because it have "tales of" in the name.

Edit: Sorry if I offend any fan of the game series.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:20:09 AM by macirex » Logged

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:45:48 AM »

So I finished watching Metal Gear Solid 4.

Not an RPG mind you, but the sheer cannonade of vitriol the fanbase expunges towards even the most moderate of critics over that game is disgusting. I don't think RPGs are alone in this era of fandumb. It's gaming as a whole. About the only thing not on the chopping block is the sports genre.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »

Fandom in general (not just gaming!) can be pretty dumb. I have, however, noticed that there haven't been as many positive of MGS4 as when it came out. That game really shows why Hideo Kojima's best at trying out an idea only a few times and a narrative once, doing it over and over ends up with MGS4.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:38:13 AM »

Fans are the greatest enemy of the entire medium, not just rpgs. The real lesson here is: companies should never listen to "fans" about what they want in a franchise. Every time this happens is nothing but bad news, at least i can't think of a single time where fan feedback improved a game franchise in some way.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:19:48 AM »

I think the internet is to blame here. We tend to forget that none of this could have happened in the 16 bit days (or earlier) because we weren't online. There were no forums where you could insult people for saying that FFI sucked. The only feedback you had were your friends.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:15:30 AM »

I guess gaming has become more of a "war of the fans" rather than personal enjoyment. :|

This post kind of reminds me of the fans who want MGS4 for Xbox360 so much... gawd o_o
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:49:04 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 06:23:03 AM »

So I finished watching Metal Gear Solid 4.

Not an RPG mind you, but the sheer cannonade of vitriol the fanbase expunges towards even the most moderate of critics over that game is disgusting. I don't think RPGs are alone in this era of fandumb. It's gaming as a whole. About the only thing not on the chopping block is the sports genre.

You think? Ever seen a PES versus FIFA discussion? Scary stuff.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:29:52 AM »

Itís the fans. I bet itís the fans. Itís the fans isnít it?

*reads*

Yessss.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »

Nice read.

It's funny, but the article reminds me of the Wii. I'm tired of people on the internet claiming "Wii is killing the industry!" and Nintendo fans being like "Oh noes, they betrayed us!"
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »

i can't think of a single time where fan feedback improved a game franchise in some way.

Quite a few fighting games have been improved by leaps and bounds because of input from fans.  SF2HD wouldn't be as good as it is without input from some of Street Fighter's most dedicated fanbase.  The Virtua Fighter games are also constantly improved via suggestions from it's hardcore tourney base.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:20:13 AM »

So, mostly just fighting games? Interesting.

It's funny, but the article reminds me of the Wii. I'm tired of people on the internet claiming "Wii is killing the industry!" and Nintendo fans being like "Oh noes, they betrayed us!"

Most Nintendo fans are masochists anyway, and just want to play the same Zelda games over and over until the earth freezes.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »

Fighting games are just the only ones I've heard of, because it's one of the few genres that has the type of hardcore userbase that learns literally EVERYTHING about the game, to the point that they know more about how the game works than the coders themselves.

Most Nintendo fans are masochists anyway, and just want to play the same Zelda games over and over until the earth freezes.

You can replace "Nintendo" and "Zelda" with just about anything; you do realize that, right?  For example:

"Most Konami fans are masochists anyway, and just want to play the same Metroidvania games over and over until the earth freezes."
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »

I guess itīs better than nothing, I think nintendo fans are the most patient of all.

Most Konami fans are masochists anyway, and just want to play the same Metroidvania games over and over until the earth freezes."

ME! ME! MEEEE!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:27:38 AM by macirex » Logged

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »

You can replace "Nintendo" and "Zelda" with just about anything; you do realize that, right?  For example:

"Most Konami fans are masochists anyway, and just want to play the same Metroidvania games over and over until the earth freezes."

True, that still doesn't change the fact that most Nintendo fans are masochists :)

But indeed, and as i said some time ago, most "gamers" and "fans" and what not don't want "innovation", the word actually scares and confuses them. They just want to play the same game rehashed over and over, ported, remade, with sequels that play in the same way and so on.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »

Just give me my spunky main hero character, he's just going to show up in another RPG with a different wardrobe and hair color anyways.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: