Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341067 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  DS RPG Referrals?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DS RPG Referrals?  (Read 4275 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 12:07:16 AM »

Thanks for the referrals everyone.

I'll look into Izuna and Shinen. I'm a fan of rouge type games, so I may like these two.

Summon Night Twin Age is hard to find around here, but that originally was my first choice. Discontinued too, so I don't expect them here any time soon.

I'll pass on TWEWY.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 12:40:13 AM »

I'll pass on TWEWY.

Whaaat? If it's the pop-ness about it I wouldn't let it bother you, I think a lot of the people who are lavishing praise on it were at first weary for that or similar reasons. If it's for some other reason though... well, enjoy whatever you pick up instead.
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »

If it's the time factor I can understand.  If not, then...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »

Actually, despite lengthy-ish talks I don't think you're ever actually forced to play TWEWY for 30 minutes or more straight. Even if that were the case though, it's set up so you can easily enjoy yourself for a few minutes before saving and shutting down. It almost promotes this actually by rewarding you EXP for your skills while the system's off (not asleep), but with diminishing returns for each successive day its left unplayed until a week passes.

Edit: Redundancy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:20:23 PM by Eusis » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »

Actually, despite lengthy-ish talks I don't think you're ever actually forced to play TWEWY for 30 minutes or more minutes straight. Even if that were the case though, it's set up so you can easily enjoy yourself for a few minutes before saving and shutting down. It almost promotes this actually by rewarding you EXP for your skills while the system's off (not asleep), but with diminishing returns for each successive day its left unplayed until a week passes.

Wait, what?

Other note:
I bought Izuna 2 today. I'm leaving it in it's shrink wrap until September when classes start up again. Still leave refereals, I'm going to pick up some more as time passes.

Ramza I looked up Shiren and it looks fun, that's the next game I'll pick up during the summer after I pick up Twin Age. Speaking of Izuna from before, should I pick up the first one if I find it?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »

Wait, what?

What point did you want me to elaborate on? When I talk about enjoying myself for a few minutes I mean I could turn on the system, get a few fights in, then turn it off. Since its an action RPG grinding can be fun, but if you just want to blitz through the story or whatever you can also just turn it to Easy and cruise through the game that way.

If this is about the skill EXP... uhh, that'd probably require an indepth explanation of the mechanics, and that's better experienced first hand. Basically if you leave your system off for a few days your skills will get stronger in the mean time to make up for you not actually fighting anything.
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »

If you don't mind spending money, then I say sure.  But only if you find it before playing Izuna 2.

Unless you don't give a shit about the storyline and backgrounds on the many characters that were also present in the first game.  There are some... uh, jokes that require you to know the characters and story in the original Izuna and a bunch of characters may reference to the first Izuna and you might now know what they are talking about

But if you're in it only for the gameplay,  pass on the original.

Oh and about TWEWY:  if you're what-ing about that last part, it's as he says.  I just checked my game and I haven't played in almost an entire year and all my pins (the equips that decide what moves you have at your disposal) leveled up to the max and stuff.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 08:30:39 PM »

If this is about the skill EXP... uhh, that'd probably require an indepth explanation of the mechanics, and that's better experienced first hand. Basically if you leave your system off for a few days your skills will get stronger in the mean time to make up for you not actually fighting anything.
[/quote]

It was about the mechanics, but I'll look into that. That's pretty interesting actually, because It's going to be like that when my classes start up again. Oddly enough, this time around I don't think I'll mind level grinding. I've only level grind in Final fantasy II (IV) for the SNES so I could go through the last floors of the final dungeon at the snap of a finger. That was back when I was like 7-8. I miss having all that time.

Maybe I will give TWEWY a chance later on, but I really, really want to check out Twin Age first.

MereMare

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »

RuneFactory2RuneFactory2RuneFactory2

It's a game playable in short bursts (30 minutes) so you can't go wrong here.

OBJECTION!
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »

I own Rune Factory 1 & 2. I actually enjoyed Rune Factory one more than I did two. I picked up Izuna 1 & 2. I'm playing Izuna 1 now and leaving the 2nd one for next semester. I'm actually blazing through, regardless on dying at many random moments.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: