Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Gayming, as it were.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Gayming, as it were.  (Read 15186 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2009, 06:29:18 AM »

http://kotaku.com/5232808/how-not-to-address-homosexuality-in-gaming

Got me to thinking about some things, mainly how we interact in a community and how much moderation can be responsible for the actions of others.

'round the 'Fan I like to think we're generally good to our community and react in a common sense kind of way. Yeah there's the occasional slip-up, but I don't think we generally look at anything  beyond "is this guy/gal acting like an asshat?" and go from there. Harassment is one thing (mind you I can't recall a single instance of anti-homosexual harassment happening here), but what kind of model should a moderator follow when determining a course of action?

I can't help but feel that in some cases (the above SimCopter example excluded) the actual moderation has been done by a closet homophobe. Sure they can't say boo after the fact, or retreat further back into the closet, but it may just be internal processes at work. Of course, it could be innocent. I just have to wonder.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

I feel like we got onto the topic once a while ago, and everyone here said "meh - I don't care if people are straight or gay."  I was proud of us. :)

I did think the one mod mentioned in the article had a good point, though - a lot of places, calling something or someone "gay" has been a popular insult.  Mods have a tough job, because they have to find a place to draw the line between letting people express themselves freely and allowing behavior that's going to drive away their site's target audience.  Depending on the size of the board, it may not be feasible to police every post to see if someone said "you're gay" as a stupid insult or as part of a sentence that ends with "aren't you?  So you probably wouldn't want to go out with my sister who thinks you're totally hot."  It's a position I'm glad not to be in myself.  I wonder if there's any way to allow a term to be used, but have it send an email to a mod with the contents of the post where it appeared?  That way, you would be able to allow people to talk about it, but also get a heads up about potential problems.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

Wow, I never thought this would ever be a topic in an RPG forum.  As far as game content goes, I am 100% against any sort of censorship, even if I don't agree with what was censored.  I've never heard of Sim Copter, so I can't speak for that, but I think it's actually kinda neat that I at least have the option to be a man who chooses a husband over a wife.  If you're talking about live people in the forums, I don't understand why thi would even come up.  I'm not homosexual, but who cares if a fellow gamer is.  I'm here to discuss Persona 5, not who loves who.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »

I'm here to discuss Persona 5

I wish we had something to discuss. That game can't come soon enough.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »

I agree with the rest of you. I don't care if someone is straight, bi, or gay, it's all about the games. I think the 'Fan community is one of the best around on the internet. There's a lot of great peeps here.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »

I, too, wouldn't care about their sexuality, I mean c'mon, they're still people you know.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:34:04 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »

BioWare itself allowed for same-sex pairings in their epic science-fiction role-playing game Mass Effect, standing strong in the face of the controversy that those gameplay elements drew from the mainstream media

I thought that was just with lesbians, though.

(Long rant on why I'm bothered more by "It's okay to have lesbians but not gay males" instead of just broad discrimination against homosexuals in general)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »

I might be one of the few here that doesn't like it [homosexuality], but as long as they keep it in bed and out of the public, I'm fine with it.

And I'm also one who supports lesbianism as long as the two chicks are hot.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »

I'm here to discuss Persona 5

I wish we had something to discuss. That game can't come soon enough.

I can wait. As much as I love Persona 4, there was so little time between 3 and 4.

I might be one of the few here that doesn't like it [homosexuality], but as long as they keep it in bed and out of the public, I'm fine with it.

And I don't like socially conservative and right-wing values. Now shut up and keep it off my message boards. :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:57:46 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »

I don't like values in general. Let's all get high on meth and rape cattle while flagelating ourselves.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »

Quote from the article

A straight male doesn't have to go out of his way to let women know that he is straight.

Methinks this is patently false. Ask my little sister's boyfriend. He gets hit on by dudes like nonstop because of his metro-stylez. Also, girls in middle school thought I was gay.

Other than that one sentence, the Kotaku article was awesome.

Ramza

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

And I don't like socially conservative and right-wing values. Now shut up and keep it off my message boards. :D
[/quote]

Are you going to ban me again for me stating an opinion?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

I have to say that being a gay gamer would kind of suck when there aren't very many gay relationships in video games.  The percentage of gay gamers (I haven't bothered researching it, but I'd imagine it's slightly higher than the world's proportions in terms of sexual preferences)  doesn't really support that kind of close-mindedness.  Granted most of the straight relationships are pretty bad in video games anyway, but people with different preferences are mostly left to imagine relationships that aren't canon since the games themselves tend not to do it.  Which I always found odd with JRPGs anyway because gay characters are a dime a dozen in anime, including even those with a similar target audience age.  Even the fact the developer gender skews highly towards males doesn't really explain this discrepancy because last I checked a lot of guys like the whole lesbian innuendo bit.

I think it's also highly lame from a moderation standpoint to penalize someone for their homosexuality unless someone's being maliciously forthright about it and saying all sorts of slurs.  But then that goes for straight people too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:42:58 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »

Are you going to ban me again for me stating an opinion?

Nope, I'll ban you for being a bigoted asshole who can't see his own god damned hypocritical attitude.

I have to say that being a gay gamer would kind of suck when there aren't very many gay relationships in video games.

I'm sitting right NEXT to a gay gamer and he's not bothered in the least. In his own words: "Being gay doesn't mean you're always searching for a relationship. I'm a regular person, and I wouldn't want to play a 'gay' video game for it being gay. If it was GOOD that would be different, but I wouldn't play it for the gay message."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:41:53 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »

And I'm also one who supports lesbianism as long as the two chicks are hot.

Oh, my God, you are a fucking idiot.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: