Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 05:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341320 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Gayming, as it were.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Gayming, as it were.  (Read 15477 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »

When it comes to homosexuality, my friend Seth's trademark song sums it all up beautifully. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48XjInBd7U

One of the greatest songs I've ever heard in my lifetime.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »

Being gay doesn't mean you're always searching for a relationship

Yeah, but being a gamer does.

(Oooooooooooh iceburrrrrrrrrrrn)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »

Indeed that article was a great read.  That last paragraph speaks immense truth and it is a huge deterrent for me when playing online games.  Nothing pisses me off more than running through a game of Halo or CoD and hearing n-bombs being dropped left and right or "what a fag/that was so gay" or other kinds of ridiculous speech by these young dumbass kids that sound like they are 12.  I can only hope that by the time they hit high school that someone slaps the ignorance out of them.  It's nice that there are options to mute players, but it annoys me that I have to do it as often as I do.  I spent half a match in CoD online listening to some asshole yell "Allah w akbar" over and over again, he literally didn't stop once during the round, I'm sure you can guess which side he was on.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »

While I'm religiously and personally not a big fan of homosexuality, it doesn't really matter to me if the gamers or people I talk to are gay. It's not like they shove their romantic lives into my face (just as I expect straight people not to, most of the time).

The article was an okay read. I don't have much of an opinion on censorship, even if they do get kinda out of hand every now and then.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »

Indeed that article was a great read.  That last paragraph speaks immense truth and it is a huge deterrent for me when playing online games.  Nothing pisses me off more than running through a game of Halo or CoD and hearing n-bombs being dropped left and right or "what a fag/that was so gay" or other kinds of ridiculous speech by these young dumbass kids that sound like they are 12.  I can only hope that by the time they hit high school that someone slaps the ignorance out of them.  It's nice that there are options to mute players, but it annoys me that I have to do it as often as I do.  I spent half a match in CoD online listening to some asshole yell "Allah w akbar" over and over again, he literally didn't stop once during the round, I'm sure you can guess which side he was on.

That sucks, man. I can't believe how ignorant some people. But when I think about me in middle school...maybe I can believe it. :P

On FFXI, I had a friend who started a linkshell called "LGBTQFamily" -- he didn't include the "A" for (gay/straight) Alliance, which is the category I'd fall under (since I'm a heterosexual but gay rights are important to me). But I still joined the LS to show support and get to know a lot of interesting folks in the game. No one on FFXI made any bones about it.

As for being "religiously and personally not a big fan of homosexuality" -- neither am I. But I'm not really in the interest of promulgating my religious views, proselytizing people to heterosexual lifestyles, etc. At the end of the day, I am firmly convinced that we have a civil rights issue on our hands, and the history of discrimination makes me nauseous. To make a valid comparison, someone with firm convictions as a pagan or member of Wicca ... obviously I disagree with them about all manner of things, but if someone tries to force them into being something other than who they claim they are, that's a HUGE problem. That might be okay in a propped-up pseudo-theocracy, but not in the USA baby. Not in the USA. It's a compromise, and it's a good one. I'm a Christian, and Christians came to America to get away from the religious persecution and stupidity that was Europe in the 1500s-1700s. So if I'm allowed to practice my religion and lifestyle, so too should everyone else, so long as they don't infringe on the rights of others or otherwise break constitutional law (hi2u NAMBLA, racists, et al).

/soapbox

Ramza

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »

At the end of the day, I am firmly convinced that we have a civil rights issue on our hands, and the history of discrimination makes me nauseous.

Ramza

What it boils down to is this, and it saddens me that for this reason people aren't able to unite.  Still as much as it saddens me it doesn't shock me given the process most groups have had to go through for acceptance.  History of discrimination doesn't stop those that were once discriminated from now being  discriminatory.  It is too easy to bully the guy smaller than you when you are being bullied by someone bigger.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:47:41 PM »

I didn't even clue in the people in this forum were gay for the first 6 months I was here.

I don't care.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »

and Christians came to America to get away from the religious persecution and stupidity that was Europe in the 1500s-1700s.

Wait, I thought it was just the Puritans that fled to America because they were, and still are, largely comprised of intolerant buzzkills. And their intolerant buzzkillitude is why we had things like the Salem Witch Hunts and Rhode Island.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 01:33:09 AM »

I might be one of the few here that doesn't like it [homosexuality], but as long as they keep it in bed and out of the public, I'm fine with it.

And I don't like socially conservative and right-wing values. Now shut up and keep it off my message boards. :D

Are you going to ban me again for me stating an opinion?

Some opinions are better kept than said. Basically would you like someone to say "you're ugly and you deserve to die" and that person saying "it's my opinion"? If you know it can cause damage to others then don't say it at all.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 03:59:23 AM »

I don't think he was causing "damage". He just said he didn't like it-- which is relatively mild stuff, really. He just disagrees with a certain lifestyle-- it's not as personal as calling somebody ugly or anything. Chill, man. I think people are way to sensitive about this issue sometimes.

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 05:28:20 AM »

I don't think he was causing "damage". He just said he didn't like it-- which is relatively mild stuff, really. He just disagrees with a certain lifestyle-- it's not as personal as calling somebody ugly or anything. Chill, man. I think people are way to sensitive about this issue sometimes.

Nothing personal anyway, just simply stating that some stuff are rather better not said. :)

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 07:54:50 AM »

Well, the quote is out of context, it was the other part about him being okay with lesbians who are hot that annoyed some people.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »

and Christians came to America to get away from the religious persecution and stupidity that was Europe in the 1500s-1700s.

Wait, I thought it was just the Puritans that fled to America because they were, and still are, largely comprised of intolerant buzzkills. And their intolerant buzzkillitude is why we had things like the Salem Witch Hunts and Rhode Island.

There's validity to that as well.  According to this program I saw on History Channel about the history of sex/sexual attitudes, a good many Puritans did exit Europe during the 1700s because they were outraged at the hedonism and sexual excesses going on there.  If you want to look at sexual attitudes and practices in colonial America, there's little doubt to the extent and influence of that Puritan movement. 

I don't think they or the Europeans anticipated the uber-restrained Victorian era in the 1800s.  Who knows how the history of the United States would have turned out had the Puritans endured Europe and saw the Victorian era with their own hands. 

I always thought the Native American tribes had a very beautiful view of homosexuality.  In pretty much all the tribes, homosexuals are known as "Two Spirits" meaning that they were blessed with both the spirit of a man and a woman.  Because of this rare and special gift, Two Spirits often hold esteemed positions in their tribes as spiritual leaders, shamans, and such. 

And this is not even getting into gender ambiguity which I think is more prevalent in Asian cultures than Western cultures which delineate male and female more strongly.  Whether you're talking about the ladyboys in Thailand, the Hijras (I think I spelt that right) in India, the I-can't-remember-what-they're-called in Samoa, many Asian countries and cultures recognize that third gender.  And even in Samoa, which is a heavily Christian nation, a boy losing his virginity to one of those 3rd gender people is not considered gay.  This comes back to gaming where in Japanese or Korean RPGs, having the bishounen boys that look very feminine (I mentioned once that Azel in Magna Carta looks like a cute girl I dated) because that whole "ladyboy" thing is quite common in that part of the world.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »

Well, the quote is out of context, it was the other part about him being okay with lesbians who are hot that annoyed some people.

I thought he was just joking about that? Eitherways, I still think that society is too willing to yell out "homophobic!" at anyone who thinks homosexuality is wrong/weird/etc. It's also kind of annoying how not 'liking' homosexuality kind of defines your values or views for other people.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »

I thought he was just joking about that? Eitherways, I still think that society is too willing to yell out "homophobic!" at anyone who thinks homosexuality is wrong/weird/etc. It's also kind of annoying how not 'liking' homosexuality kind of defines your values or views for other people.

It's not a matter of disagreeing with homosexuality. It's the entire spirit in which it was said. ie: Keep it out of the public eye. Why should they have to? Homosexuals don't hump each other in public any more than heterosexual people, and they should be allowed to express their views as much as anyone else. Just because you disagree with them does not give you license to say they shouldn't be open about their lives.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: