Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 05:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Gayming, as it were.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Gayming, as it were.  (Read 15194 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

Another thought regarding relationships in video game stories.  Thinking about the "sexual" suffix in hetero/homo/bi-sexual.  Sexuality in general is touchy in video games.  Sure eroge are 100% harbored by it, but most of the time it's just degerate crap or mindless wank material meant to get guys' rocks off.  Few such as Crescendo actually portray sexuality in a mature, deep, and even harrowing way (depending on the girl's storyline you follow) that's surprisingly fearless (especially given that the game is based around high school students.)  Most Japanese RPGs obviously have very innocent lead characters.  It's rare you find a lead that's merely even aware of his/her own sexuality.

Perhaps because sexuality is a strong component in relationships yet is a tricky and touchy thing to portray in JRPG storylines that relationships in video games seem either shallow or childish? 

My familiarity with this in non-Japanese RPGs is limited, but it's certainly not uncommon for characters to be sexual, right?

I don't know.  I'm just rambling food for thought. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:55:53 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »

Japanese games and anime alike are almost universally awkward in terms of romance, which isn't all that surprising when Japan has one of the lowest birth rates in the world, less than most comparable technologically sophisticated countries.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »

It's also a culture that still has a very patriarchal notion of how society should be; for every anime depicting a strong female lead, there are 1000s of women who are told to be subservient and who meet the glass ceiling on a daily basis. Not saying America is MUCH better in those regards, but I think Japan is still behind a bit. That all leads to difficulty portraying accurate male/female relationships.

That being said, Japan has a long history of male homosexual relationships among the samurai. These relationships were loyalty/friendship first and sexual second, so the Japanese tend to be better at writing male/male interpersonal relationships.

That being said, most of the anime & JRPGs out there have HORRIBLY WRITTEN interpersonal relationships of all kinds because the consumers don't demand better.

And for the record, they have such a low birthrate because that's what happens to a highly industrialized, educated, commercial society with great medical technology and a good deal of disposable income. Don't need kids to work the fields/mines/factories/brothels busy careers that don't allow time for a family, knowledge of birth control, etc.

Of course it sucks for them now that they'll have such a high percentage of elderly that need taking care of. Roll out those Robots quick!

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »

In other words, the samurai had bro-mances :P 

Anyway Damian, I know you've always been a strong advocate of consumers demanding a better product from game developers.  I too agree that we need to speak with our wallets.  If we want more of X kind of game, we should pay out so it'll sell 100K copies or more and the companies take notice.  On the other hand, what if the only examples of X kind of game available in English are poorly done?  We buy those and send a mixed message to the companies; we want the games but are willing to put up with rotten turkey.  Catch 22.  What do we as consumers do? 

But, yes, I'd like to see script writers write better interpersonal relationships than what we've been seeing in many video games.  Perhaps some indie developers can take that ball and run with it.  Some visual novels write relationships well (that genre is pretty much harbored by relationships), but many write them in a scripted and predictable fashion that it gets kinda boring.  And relationships are anything but scripted.  Boring occasionally, but never scripted or totally predictable. 

That's probably one reason why western RPGs are finding more favor; relationships aren't scripted and are written in a more complex/adult fashion than the more 3rd grade "romances" in most JRPGs.

I approve of this nonsense!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »

the thing about about samurais packing fudge reminded me of an essay. :o

http://www.yuricon.org/essays/random.html

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: