Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327544 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  So like, comic books and stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So like, comic books and stuff  (Read 4144 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »

So hey, you know who likes comic books? I like comic books. I have recently read some comic books. Some examples include:

Persepolis Ė I saw the animated movie a few months back and I really, really liked it, so buying the book seemed like the next logical step. Itís interesting to see what life in Iran was like in the 80ís, especially for women. I sometimes forget how much the landscape over there has changed just in the past few decades.

Hellboy vol. 4 Ė Hellboy continues to be awesome. I could look at Mignolaís artwork all day. I really like that most of the tales are short and to the point, leaving just enough time to show off Hellboy exploring before having to beat the crap out of some mystical creature.

Mouse Gaurd, Winter: 1152 #5 Ė It probably wasnít the best idea to start with a random issue, but I liked what I saw. Two mice face off against an owl (which to them is a massive beast) while another group explore a gigantic underground cavern. Fun stuff.

Blue Beetle: End Game (collects #20 to 26) Ė Itís been a while since Iíve picked up a typical superhero book, but Iíve been interested in the Blue Beetle character ever since I saw him on Batman: Brave and the Bold. Luckily, the characters in both shows are almost the same. This was just good old fashioned fun. Iím interested in picking up some of the other trades now.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »

I recently read Alan Moore's "Lost Girls".  What a filthy old man.  By the time the horse dick got involved, I was so used to seeing bizarre shit that I didn't even bat an eye.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »

I used to have a boatload of comics..mostly Marvel stuff but I sold them all about 4 years ago. A stupid thing to do in retrospect. I miss reading them.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »

Still have my comics. Fan of X-Men Generation Next and Cyberforce. I have one comic of the submariner laying around, but It's still in it's sleeve unopened...I think I never was interested in reading it.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »

I usually go out and buy paperback comic books only if they're recommended by good friends.

Read "The Sandman" comics though I haven't bought The Wake yet. I also enjoy reading "Fables" and "The Umbrella Academy".

Sometimes I go through mainstream DC stuff, like the latest JLA storylines but I'm lost right now.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:50:56 AM »

I've got somewhere between 1 and 2 thousand.  Can't remember any more - really haven't added to the collection in a while now.  A friend recently let me borrow the entire 100 Bullets series, and that was really good stuff.  And of course, I've had to talk Watchmen with a lot of folks this summer.  Glad I read it again!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
óKurt Vonnegut
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »

I've read through issue 9 of The Walking Dead. I love well done zombie stories and this is one of 'em. Kinda like taking one of the World War Z accounts and expanding on that. Also hear they're developing a TV series off of it. Might check that out if it happens.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Killy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »

Oo I read Persepolis also, u should check out the sequel Persepolis 2, it's just as good.

Blankets is a good graphic novel also.  Next I wanna belatedly check out Maus.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »

Surprised not more people are into comics or that I'm responding so late.  There really aren't too many I keep up with, but I do like to sometimes go down to this comic book store near my house (old-school type store) and look through all the stuff from independent artists and publishers to see what's out there.  I found some stuff from artists/writers in India that was kinda neat.  Some of the superhero stuff they did seemed kinda archetypical, but stuff based on legends and mythology was cool.  

Regardless, I love that feeling like a kid who found enough change in the couch cushions to go buy a comic book.  They're still reasonably priced, and I like seeing all the indie stuff.  

When I went to Connecticon in '07, I was introduced to the "American manga" Paradigm Shift by Dirk I. Tiede.  It was originally supposed to be a graphic novel series, but it went online (and is in book form too.)  I don't read it online, though.  I like the books (I'm old school that way.)  I think it's a fun, fast paced, and well-drawn manga.  Folks from the Chicago area should check it out because the drawings and renderings of Chicago are so beautifully done.  The setting is as much a character as Kate and Mike.  

I'm going to have to dig around and look for comics like that with some Philly love since that's my city these days.  NYC gets a lot of love (the way it's done in the Gargoyles cartoons is stellar) and I used to live there, but...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:08:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »

I have to say - I've really been considering selling off most of my comics.  I'd just hang onto the issues I really love.  Only thing is I'm not sure how to go about it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
óKurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: