Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 12:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334761 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPG Control  (Read 2665 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2006, 11:57:48 PM »

I was looking at the reviews awhile back, and I've been thinking - do some of us just take decent control for granted? I don't mean in action RPGs and whatnot, I mean in traditional turn based RPGs where your reflexes and skill matter less (usually) than either your tactics, or your patience to level grind.

I myself was largely of the mindset that it was a non-issue for non-action RPGs or RPGs with action elements (ala Atelier Iris), until I played BoFIV. Admittedly, that has (light) action elements, but the grid based movement in a modern RPG, espicially when such as this that was /locked/ into isometric viewpoints really kept me from being fully immersed, and as such unable to enjoy it. Meanwhile, games that feel solid to control, like DQVIII or SoArc, are more enjoyable for me, though that may be in part to the camera/graphics of both titles... But then, camera's pretty important for control. So... I pretty much consider it important in all titles unless there's litterally no way to have controls be an issue - which is pretty much limited to graphic adventures along the lines of Phoenix Wright, I guess - I even think it can be important in LucasArts graphic adventures.

What're your thoughts?
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:37:36 AM »

I've never really thought about controls in traditional turn-based RPGs, but I've played Breath of Fire IV, and yeah, it kept you busy outside of battle, at times.

I think more turn-based RPGs should include more of an immersive field of action abilities outside of battle. It would spicen up the game more, instead of just mashing away at the buttons for leveling up and such. Without giving away too much, Mother 3 is known to have this, which I appreciate. You can do some actions outside of battle, including running a la Zelda, in respect to dashing with the Pegasus boots. That's how running is in Mother 3. (you don't need equipment to be able to dash though :P)

Although now that I think about it, running isn't considered an action that would require skill to master, but there are unique movements in the game that is different than just normal walking.
Fate Linegod

yandy_zer0
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »

I liked Wild ARMs Series to kept me busy on Field.
Not to forget about the Puzzle Box too, it's fun to solve the Puzzles.

"We're anything but Normal"
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:44:13 AM »

I agree that control is an important aspect in any RPG, even turn based ones.  For example, although I love the game as a whole, I find the menus in Suikoden 5 to be a pain so I would dock it some points in the control department if I was writing a review.  On the other hand, I like how Metal Saga handles: you can assign some common commands (like the metal detector) to the various buttons & there's the nifty skip battle animation button (not entirely a control issue, but sort of).

Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »

There are different things for me that keep me immersed while on the field.  Some games are just simply gorgeous with the detail added into the environment and I love just exploring everything.  Dragon Quest VIII did this for me.  Other games like Wild Arms would keep you busy using the tools to overcome a dungeon or using the dash feature because it was fun just to slide around.  Some games can keep me completely sucked into the game with just the beautiful overtures that are playing while on the field.  

There are a ton of different ways to be immersed on the field.  Most people just focus on the battle system and they don't really pay attention to the rest. . . which I find very sad.

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »

I myself was largely of the mindset that it was a non-issue for non-action RPGs or RPGs with action elements (ala Atelier Iris), until I played BoFIV.

LOL! I did not read the rest of your post and the thread, because I just had to comment it.
It happened EXACTLY the same with, with this same game. Haha.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 04:13:25 PM »

Robert, and apparantly Bogatyr, got what I meant with this: Not simply being able to have abilities and stuff to do on the field (though I won't deny that I like those - best trait of FF:MQ's), but rather general responsiveness, being able to move the character comfortably and not get frustrated either by getting stuck or just being awkward as hell.

Though, the SuikV option shows that even games like PW, as long as they're played with a d-pad or analog stick, can still have control issues. Guess only PC point and click graphic adventures in the vein of PW are exempt then. :P
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 04:15:04 PM »

Control is important, but usually poor controls are more annoying than being something that will cause you to not beat the game.

Example.
Wild arms 3...having action and run be the same button was rather annoying, especially in the millenium puzzles, but it didn't keep you from beating the game.
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:12:39 PM »

I had the same problem with BoF IV too. The camera change was limited, the character movement response just wasnt.... I dunno, fast enough? I'm not sure how to describe it, it felt kinda robotic. I couldnt make curves very well it felt somewhat slow whenever I wanted to change directions.
One game where the control factor was really awesome though, was Xenogears. Could rotate the camera fully, the response felt faster than the average game... AND I COULD CHANGE DIRECTIONS FREELY!!

EDIT: I actually wrote "diagonals" instead of curves at first.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:13:35 PM »

Control can be an issue in graphic adventures as well.  For example, I wasn't quite fond of the character-relative "Resident Evil" type control scheme in Grim Fandango.  No matter what I do, I could never get used to it, and that was one game where I couldn't point and click to locations.  And whether I was using the mouse or the arrow keys, the robot puzzle near the end of the game in Still Life was an absolute bitch in terms of control.  And with the arrow keys, it was all Resident Evil type character-relative movement.  

Persona 1 also had a somewhat weird control scheme in the isometric rooms.  

And when one talks of control, is it purely button responsiveness, or interface as well?  A game with a smooth interface gives me a better feeling of control, like if the menus are straightforward, easy to navigate and all that.  

Digital novel is a genre where control plays no part since it's purely choose-your-own-adventure style play.  Although I do want my choices clearly highlighted so I know I'm selecting the one I want.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 03:53:09 PM »

I'd count interface too, which is why I said pretty much just Phoenix Wright-type graphic adventures could get away from it being an issue. SuikV's got a few mindboggling stupid design choices when it comes to the menus. :P
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 05:38:45 AM »

Personally I thought Xenogears could've used better controls.  Especially since you had to do some platform-jumping and little things like random battles could disrupt your jumps.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: