Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 09:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331520 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So, i just got a snes.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: So, i just got a snes.  (Read 12081 times)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

Leaving aside the Final Fantasy games and Chrono Triger, which i already own in other systems and have played, what i should get? I heard the Terranigma/Illusion of Gaia/Soul Blazer trilogy is quite good, there's also the Lufia games and of course Secret of Mana. Which would be the must of the must from that bunch? Any other i might be missing?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:07:11 PM by ChevalierEagle » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »

Super Mario RPG.

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:01:08 PM »

Earthbound - You use kids to save the world and you buy your equipment in shopping malls.
Secret of Evermore
Breath of Fire I and II
Zelda: Link to the Past - One of the best games ever.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:03 PM »

Ah yes, Breath of Fire 2, i played that one but didn't finished. I felt it was ok, but nothing that made me go crazy.

About Zelda games:

-I don't consider them RPGs
-I never liked the franchise (yeah i know, i must be the only one in the whole planet)

Earthbound looks interesting, i'll try to put aside my dislike of the Smash Bros games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

Shadowrun
Actraiser

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »

Oh yea, you could try Secret of the Stars. That and Terranigma are the only RPGs I haven't played for the SNES.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:08 PM »

Earthbound looks interesting, i'll try to put aside my dislike of the Smash Bros games.

Unlike the original Smash Bros. games, the two Earthbounds that spun off from it are actually turn-based RPGs. This sort of upset some of the original Smash Bros. fans, but I personally thought it was a move in the right direction imho.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:24:40 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »

You're not going to get Terranigma on your SuperNES unless you live in Europe or Japan. Illusion of Gaia has a great story but it's liner as hell (almost as bad as FFX) and the one sidequest of the game requires you to not miss a single Red Jewel (in fact I would save that for the second playthrough if I were you). I haven't played Soul Blazer or Actraiser yet.

Lufia I is so old and outdated that even the best story moments can't really save it. Lufia II on the other hand is awesome and should be got.

Ogre Battle if you can find it is fairly good too (I still need to play more of this game myself). Tactics Ogre is also good but you're going to have to go with the PSX port for that one (again unless you live in Japan).

Super Mario RPG is definitely a fun game (plus the Axem Rangers rock).

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, while not a conventional RPG, is worth getting as no SuperNES is complete without it. Also it's arguably the best 2D Zelda game ever made. Edit: Nevermind.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »

The Japanese version of Terranigma generally runs around 25 if he knows la lingua japonica, and actually modding your SNES to play Japanese games doesn't involve anything more than breaking the tabs out of it, unlike PAL games which need converters. If there's an EU script somewhere for printing out and playing with, he might try that.

Actraiser is theoretically nonlinear since you can build towns in any order you pick AFAIK, although the difficulty of some of the bosses/sidescrolling levels and necessity to user certain spells in certain towns might require you to level up by building up certain towns first.

Soulblazer is also fairly linear but it lets you backtrack and sort of mandates it at points if you want certain items or whatever.

o/` I do not dream o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »

I friggin hated Earthbound. I never understood the love for this series.

Recs:
Actraiser - although it is early SNES, so it hasn't aged as well as some others
Secret of Mana/Evermore - Mana is better, but ever is an underrated game
Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma - not sure which one I liked the most, or would recommend first. All great.
Lufia - I preferred the first one. the second was too puzzle-centric

non-rpgs:
Contra III Alien Wars
super Turrican
super metroid (although you've probably played all sorts of metroids/metroidvanias to make this moot)
Donkey Kong Country - The first 2 are actually really good games.
Axelay - cool shooter even with the slowdown

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »

For non-RPGs and if you want a challenge, go for Goof Troop and Scooby Doo.

I'm not kidding, despite their names, they were quite hard for me. :P

I friggin hated Earthbound. I never understood the love for this series.

Heathen!

Just kidding.

I love Earthbound to death.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

I never understood the love for this series.

It was the only SNES RPG with good writing.

o/` I do not dream o/`

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »

Oh, i know ActRaiser and is on my must list. Thanks for the recommendations, Contra 3 is also another must for anyone who owns a snes.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »

Goof Troop is an amazing game.  It was the last of Capcom's great run of Disney games.

I'll toss my hat in for Earthbound, Lufia 2, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario RPG, and Secret of Evermore.

Non-RPG's?  Kirby Superstar, Actraiser, Captain Commando/Final Fight/The King of Dragons, Strider, and King Arthur's World, if you like the idea of a 2D RTS.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »

Actraiser is theoretically nonlinear since you can build towns in any order you pick AFAIK, although the difficulty of some of the bosses/sidescrolling levels and necessity to user certain spells in certain towns might require you to level up by building up certain towns first.

There's a whole ONE town that you can do out of order. This game is pretty much linear.

Unlike the original Smash Bros. games, the two Earthbounds that spun off from it are actually turn-based RPGs. This sort of upset some of the original Smash Bros. fans, but I personally thought it was a move in the right direction imho.

Can you explain what the heck you're talking about? The Earthbound (that is, MOTHER) series started on the NES. The second game, Mother 2 ("Earthbound" in the US) was released on the SNES. Years after this, the first Smash Bros game was released. In 2004, Mother 3 was made for the GBA.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Either you're entirely ignorant of the Earthbound series, or there's something that I have no knowledge of. Plz splain.

Ramza

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: