Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338003 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So, i just got a snes.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: So, i just got a snes.  (Read 12215 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Either you're entirely ignorant of the Earthbound series, or there's something that I have no knowledge of. Plz splain.

He's joking in response to Chevalier needing to get over his dislike of Smash Bros to play Earthbound. Which must make playing ANY Nintendo game a pain if that's seriously enough to harm his enjoyment of other games.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »

Earthbound and Terranigma are going to be difficult to find. Terranigma was only released in Japan and Brittain (in english), so you'll have to find a brittish copy and mod it. Earthbound is going to run you something like $100+ for even a new copy (I may be a bit off, but it's still very pricy). Honestly, those are two games where I think (and probably most would agree) you would be totally within ethical bounds to emulate. Even Nintendo isn't going to care. In fact, Nintendo's lawyers might actually prefer you to emulate Earthbound rather than buy a copy, since they've been trying to distance themselves from that title over likeness to some pop culture references :(

Most of the good SNES RPGs have been released on the GBA/DS or Wiiware, OR were never released in the US. I haven't played Lufia or Breath of Fire, so I can't comment on that.

Another killer one that you're going to have to emulate because it was never released stateside is Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2, for all practical purposes). Arguably the best game in the Seiken Densetsu series, sadly has never been localized and released stateside. But the fan translation out there is pretty good. A must play for aRPG fans.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »

Donkey Kong Country.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Either you're entirely ignorant of the Earthbound series, or there's something that I have no knowledge of. Plz splain.

He's joking in response to Chevalier needing to get over his dislike of Smash Bros to play Earthbound. Which must make playing ANY Nintendo game a pain if that's seriously enough to harm his enjoyment of other games.

Actually, i'm not a fan of most nintendo franchises, never cared about Zelda, Metroid and i stopped paying attention to Mario games after the 64 entry. I know i know, i'm "weird", put down the torches.

But my dislike of Smash Bros is towards the game itself, is tedious, repetitive and i can't find my character in the god damn screen, there's always too much shit going on.

Most of the good SNES RPGs have been released on the GBA/DS or Wiiware, OR were never released in the US. I haven't played Lufia or Breath of Fire, so I can't comment on that.

True, but i'm not wasting money on a wii just to use it as an emulation system. I got my second edition snes for cheap, and most of the games i want are really cheap. I already have a DS, so, that's more than enough for me.

Once more, thanks for the recommendations D:
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »

be totally within ethical bounds to emulate.

Ethics aside, that's not a kosher topic for discussion.

I didn't like SD3 much. I was actually playing it today. It's kind of slow and gets rids of all the puzzle-solving bits from SD2, where you used your weapons to interact with the environment. It does add a day/night cycle, a weekly day cycle, and class changing, but the first two are more cute than consequential and the latter's just not a very interesting class system.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:19:26 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 02:47:02 AM »

I didn't like SD3 much. I was actually playing it today. It's kind of slow and gets rids of all the puzzle-solving bits from SD2, where you used your weapons to interact with the environment. It does add a day/night cycle, a weekly day cycle, and class changing, but the first two are more cute than consequential and the latter's just not a very interesting class system.

In all fairness it did have the six characters and three different story lines (even if they were almost identical) versus Secret's almost entirely liner trek (you had a few ways to go about the beginning of the game but after the Witch's Castle you were on the straight and narrow for the rest of the game).

However I too believe SD2 to be the superior game. For instance I still consider SoM's weapon/spell level system to be the best implementation of the idea yet (though they could've done something about charging up for those high level weapon skills). I also adored the wide open areas versus the compartments of SD3. The action gauge to discourage attack spamming versus III's hit gauge that never filled up unless enemies were strong enough to kick your ass. The lack of inventory space in FFA2 along with no rare items (equipment and orbs filled that role however) discouraged you from going overboard on both hoarding and total item dependency whereas FFA3 made it so that with a crappy party you could still do all the essential stuff like status effects and pumpkin tossing so long as you had the cash or were lucky enough to score them from a drop since only one shop in the entire game sold these and only at night and the inventory was limited at best (plus there were so many items to keep track of you had to keep the extras in a separate bag which could only be accessed outside of battle).

Though again, to be fair, you did get to ride on the back of a turtle.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »

Strangely enough, I just got a NES today.

First one I've ever actually owned.  :|

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »

Then I recommend getting all three SMB (at least #3 since that's one of the best in the series), both Zeldas, and as many Megaman games as you can find (#s 2 & 3 are the best among those). That should cover the basics.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 01:02:42 PM »

River City Ransom is a must, as well as the Ninja Gaiden games.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »

I suggest you get the Castlevania series if you want a frustrating challenge. :D
Also Megaman and Circus Charlie (personal favorite) can be good also.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »

Okay, guys, thanks, thanks...  I wasn't fishing for ideas, I have plenty of ideas of games to get.  :P

...But thanks though!  T_T

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »

About SNES games, all my recommendations have already been mentioned.....

....JUST STAY AWAY FROM MYSTIC QUEST.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 10:39:10 PM »

....JUST STAY AWAY FROM MYSTIC QUEST.

It's fun for what it is, that game gets entirely too much hatred.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »

Well, I didn't like it.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »

Well, I didn't like it.

And I'll admit it's not really worth hunting down over basically any other selection given in this thread. But if he (or anyone else) stumbles upon it by chance for cheap... then hey, it's worth a shot!

Edit: I meant to say for cheap, not for free, though certainly it still applied!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:11:39 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: