Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So, i just got a snes.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: So, i just got a snes.  (Read 11948 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »

I'm okay with something like IoG being linear because the dungeons are fairly well designed and its action oriented. Linear, turn-based grindfests with strictly obstacleish dungeons DON'T make me happy.

Plus the story and BGM rocked.

Code:
Poor Hamlet! ;_;

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge

SirKizyr
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 01:05:53 AM »

Anyone mention Tales of Phantasia yet? By far that's my favorite game on the SNES (well above even Chrono Trigger). Besides the Lunar series, it's my favorite RPG.

The down-side is that the SNES/SF version is Japanese-only. There's an American release of the GBA version, however.

Otherwise, well, I think most of the traditional RPGs I'd recommend have already been said (Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6).

Oh, there's also the Ys series; I never played it, though, so I can't vouch for its quality. KF

~KF

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »

Anyone mention Tales of Phantasia yet? By far that's my favorite game on the SNES (well above even Chrono Trigger). Besides the Lunar series, it's my favorite RPG.

The down-side is that the SNES/SF version is Japanese-only. There's an American release of the GBA version, however.

Yeah there was that GBA port and it was pretty crappy too. Despite that it's not a bad game, it just hasn't aged well thanks to every other Tales of game improving Phantaisa's ideas down to a science. Now if we had gotten either the PSX or PSP ports I would have enjoyed it much more.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »

I recommend Paladin's Quest (aka Lennus).  Graphics are very odd (all pastel) & the story is nothing to write home about, but the gameplay is solid with lots of playable characters & an interesting magic system.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2009, 05:16:03 AM »

Awesome! A Paladin's Quest fan. From all the people I know that played the game, nobody really liked it. D: I personally enjoyed it myself though. That game was a tough motherfucker too (from what I can remember).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »

Awesome! A Paladin's Quest fan. From all the people I know that played the game, nobody really liked it. D: I personally enjoyed it myself though. That game was a tough motherfucker too (from what I can remember).

Honestly, I'd probably like it more now than when I originally got it. It was just a bit too hard then, but I could probably deal with it now. Hell, I had some fun with it when I played it years ago.

Nevertheless, it kinda scared me from non-Square RPGs for awhile so that bad taste is going to remain.
kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge

SirKizyr
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »

Yeah there was that GBA port and it was pretty crappy too. Despite that it's not a bad game, it just hasn't aged well thanks to every other Tales of game improving Phantaisa's ideas down to a science. Now if we had gotten either the PSX or PSP ports I would have enjoyed it much more.
How bad could it have been? I played the SNES/SF and PS1 versions, and really love both of them (the SNES version doesn't seem to have "aged" any at all--I still enjoy it just the same as my first time through). From what I heard, the GBA version was just the PS1 remake without voices or cinema. Was there something else wrong with it? KF

~KF

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 12:53:53 AM »

Should i give Arcana a try? It does look a bit dated, but the battle system sounds interesting.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »

How bad could it have been? I played the SNES/SF and PS1 versions, and really love both of them (the SNES version doesn't seem to have "aged" any at all--I still enjoy it just the same as my first time through). From what I heard, the GBA version was just the PS1 remake without voices or cinema. Was there something else wrong with it? KF

My problems with the game were namely derived at the GBA system itself both forcing the game to be visually oversaturated (giving the game a very washed out feel to it) as well as suffering a tremendous audio downgrade.

The localization wasn't that great either.

To add to my point here's a comparison between....
The SuperNES opening,
The GBA Japan version,
And the one we got.

Wingman

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »

Aside from Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger; Breath of Fire II and Super Mario RPG are my two favorite RPGs on the SNES. The Lufia series is pretty good, too.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

Should i give Arcana a try? It does look a bit dated, but the battle system sounds interesting.

I vaguely remember that one. It's definitelly something different if you've been playing games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger. It's a first person dungeon crawler, so it's certainly not for everyone. The battle system is not what it claims to be, the difficulty is very low and you won't be using magic much.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: