Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 08:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338669 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings  (Read 22091 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »

Alright, I'll be frank. I haven't been impressed with DTs latest material. I thought Train of Thought was dirivative, Octavarium was uninspired, and Systematic Chaos was (although maybe a step in the the right direction) boring. This used to be my favorite band; Images & Words, Awake, and Six Degrees are three of my very favorite albums. But I feel like they've been kinda coasting now for a while.

I'd heard that they were coming out with a new album, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings", I wasn't getting my hopes up. CDFN brought to my attention that two tracks were ciculating around online. You can get them here: HAHA NEVER MIND, I'M AN IDIOT. I've just finished listening to them. Now, while I wasn't completely blown away, I'm definitely a bit more curious than I was. The music does feature a bit more dynamic variation, and does feel a bit more inspired. Rite of Passage definitely feels like slightly new territory for them, even if the chorus simply sucks and sounds like a rehash of Forsaken (uggh).

We'll see how the final album turns out, but it may be a step in the right direction... hopefully a newer direction. And hopefully Jordan keeps his "guitar-lead-sound" noodling to a minimum.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:53:58 PM by D-Rider » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »

You've been here long enough to damn well know we don't link to torrents here.  What the fuck, man.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »

Breaking the forum's rules aside, I'm mildly interested in the new album...  Systematic Chaos was a bit of a grower, although some of the songs are outright boring as shit (STOP WRITING SONGS ABOUT 9/11).

If only James LaBrie could sing again.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »

Actually, believe it or not... I've never heard of that rule before. It's never come up in any discussion I've seen. My appologies.

(STOP WRITING SONGS ABOUT 9/11).

Agreed... however Prophets of War is probably my favorite tune on SC, maybe because it sounds a bit similar to Muse without sounding like a wrippoff. Seriously, you can play Never Enough (DT) and Stockholm Syndrome (Muse) back to back and I swear it sounds like the same song. But Sacrificed Sons is total crap, IMO... shut the fuck up James.

That being said, I have noticed that James' live vocals are getting MUCH MUCH better. His versions of the older tunes on Score are far-and-away the best I've ever heard them. He actually nailed the first few notes of Metropolis without being horribly out of key. He's starting to back off and sound more tunefull live, rather than just screaming his way through everything.

I noticed that John and Mike are singing a lot more these days. John does some killer gruff shit. Mike's still a pansy who thinks he can sing higher than he actually can, but his lower range is great.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:19:55 AM »

I usually enjoy all of their albums and I think SC was a lot better than the previous 2.

I really like ANTR. I love the glass prison and this song is similar with the bonus of a beautiful middle section. Mike's drumming is insane!

The single is nice, it's funny that you don't like the chorus prime mover, most people on the DT boards say it's the best part. I really like it. It's the format of the song I'm not too crazy about. Intro, chorus, bridge, chorus, instrumental section with solo interchange between JP and JR, chorus, end. They've done it a hundred times. It's a good single though (they cut JR's solos and only kept the kick ass JP solo for the radio edit) and the video is pretty cool.

You have to give ANTR a few more spins though, it's a really good track. It's gonna own live.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:03 AM »

If only James LaBrie could sing again.

What do you mean? He's been in his best shape ever since around the time he performed octavarium/the human equation/elements of persuasion. Have you seen them live in the past few years? His range is back and he doesn't do any of that screaming he did live in the I&W days, his control is almost perfect.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:09:39 AM »

Actually, believe it or not... I've never heard of that rule before. It's never come up in any discussion I've seen. My appologies.

(STOP WRITING SONGS ABOUT 9/11).

Agreed... however Prophets of War is probably my favorite tune on SC, maybe because it sounds a bit similar to Muse without sounding like a wrippoff. Seriously, you can play Never Enough (DT) and Stockholm Syndrome (Muse) back to back and I swear it sounds like the same song. But Sacrificed Sons is total crap, IMO... shut the fuck up James.

That being said, I have noticed that James' live vocals are getting MUCH MUCH better. His versions of the older tunes on Score are far-and-away the best I've ever heard them. He actually nailed the first few notes of Metropolis without being horribly out of key. He's starting to back off and sound more tunefull live, rather than just screaming his way through everything.

I noticed that John and Mike are singing a lot more these days. John does some killer gruff shit. Mike's still a pansy who thinks he can sing higher than he actually can, but his lower range is great.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when James hit that super high note in Under A Glass Moon on the Score performance.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »

Listened a little bit more this morning, this time to Nightmare to Remember. It's growing on me, but it still isn't blowing me away the way Missunderstood or Glass Prison first did when I got pre-release recordings of 6 DO IT. Someone in the band must be a really bad driver, since this is their second song about a car accident. "The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun" being their first, back in '89.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 03:08:30 AM »

I don't even think I've listened to a Dream Theater album since the second one.

What have I been missing?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 04:32:24 AM »

A lot. If you're into this kind of music I'm sure you'll enjoy some of the albums. It's hard to recomend them all because they are so different but if your last one was I&W I'd say you should try Awake, Scenes from a memory and 6 degrees of inner turbulence.

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 06:20:52 AM »

Keyboards getting turned down, songs about 9/11, and two good albums out of five.  Six Degrees and Falling Into Infinity YEAH I SAID IT SCENES FROM A MEMORY IS PRETTY OVERRATED AND HOME HAS THE SAME SAMPLES AS JET GRIND RADIO FUTURE.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:18 AM »

See? You should just try them all and figure it out by yourself.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »

WOW Los, I couldn't agree more! I'm surprised, since its odd to find a DT fan who doesn't like the dirt that SfaM rose from. Yeah, I think SFAM is very overrated. And the sample thing has always been one of my biggest complaints. They used all pretty common stock samples for everything. The shoe walking is the worst, it doesn't even fit... sounds like the guy is walking on a floor covered in dirt. I've done quite a bit of sound effects sampling, and I can tell you that some of that shit would have been cake to record well, if they had just hired someone for a day or two... and it's not like DT are poor or anything.

Yeah, probably my favorites in their catalog are WDADU (so many people miss out on this one, but its got some great tunes), I&W, Awake, Falling into Infinity, and 6degrees. I'm a surprisingy big fan of Falling into Infinity. Yes, its got a lot of crap, but its got about 45 minutes of really solid music, which is more than can be said for many bands... its just that the bad shit is REALLY REALLY BAD (Anna Lee, Hollow Years, etc). Best thing about it is Derek, who runs circles around Jordan in terms of synthesizer sound design and solo content. The guy was unpretentious, full of innovation, and inexplicably badass. His keys were so heavy, that DT could practically pull off a "two-guitar band" sound live. Derek was a genius technician as well as a consummate musician... commonly building and rebuilding his own keyboard setups. Jordan is basically a pianist in front of a synthesizer... he has a team of guys who work on his keyboard samples and setups. Furthermore, the shit he comes up with bores me to tears. Uninspired crap that is little more than, "play as many notes as you possibly can". Overly abundant keyboard flourishes everywhere, he leaves absolutely no breathing room, and makes even the most heart-felt melodies sound frantic. Jordan has exactly two styles: frantic and goofy. Derek, at least, could lay back and lie down a good groove, and write a solo that would put blues aficionados to shame.

The reality is that Petrucci and Mike were completely out of form during Falling into Infinity. Derek and Myung carried the album: New Millenium, Lines in the Sand, Hell's Kitchen, and I would add Trial of Tears. And Kevin Shirley (god bless his work with Iron Maiden) pulled down his pants and took a crap on the songwriting and marketing. Fans hated the album, so they needed a scapegoat... Derek was the new guy... he was that wild and crazy skirt-chasing punk from Alice Cooper after all... it must be HIS fault. So they booted him. I'll never forgive them for that, they had no idea what they were giving up.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

What do you mean? He's been in his best shape ever since around the time he performed octavarium/the human equation/elements of persuasion. Have you seen them live in the past few years? His range is back and he doesn't do any of that screaming he did live in the I&W days, his control is almost perfect.

I LOLed, because the worst concert I have ever attended was a Dream Theater concert back when they were touring to support "Falling Into Infinity".  LaBrie completely ruined it with his shit singing:  it was like he was torn between shrieking in pain, vomiting in agony, and yodeling.  I've never been able to look at that band the same again, or anything else LaBrie has had a hand in.  I haven't even listened to Ayreon's album "The Human Equation" since about two months after it was released thanks to him, and I'm the biggest Ayreon fan I know.

Yeah, fuck him.  And fuck this, too:

We're all impressed with the glued-on steel wool on your chin, you keytar-raping noodly fuckwit.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »

Good god... that is... TERRIBLE. Jordan has become such a huge poser. He used to play in jazz groups back in the day, he's no metal head! This is all one huge disgracefull act because he likes playing the "badass". What a little shit. FUCK YOU. I'm starting to feel like that's all Dream Theater has become anymore. They used to inspire, they used to break new ground. Now they just play the part of a bunch of badasses because it's easy. Come on... the guys are almost 50, they come from a background of Rush, Yes, Iron Maiden, and ELP. They all have wives and kids and attend AA meetings. They're not 18-year-old angst-ridden metalheads... I don't buy this shit.

Mike's the only one I really tend to respect anymore, because he's the only one that seems to be progressing and not simply regurgitating old material. He seems to be true to himself more than the others: a metal fan AND a beattles and rush fan through and through. The others just wanna sound HEAVY, whatever that means.

It's one thing for Metallica, because they're all a bunch of assholes (save Kirk)... so when they act all heavy and angsty, you know that at least part of it is real. Dream Theater are a bunch of conservatory musicians who play the part of assholes for their day job, then go back to their kids and read them bedtime stories. I'd rather they just act like who they really are. No more songs about antichrists or lost dead souls. Mike's entitled to his AA thing because it's actually real. But "In the Presence of Enemies"? What a JOKE! I mean, it worked for "The Killing Hand" back when they were all 25 and sounded like a cross between Rush and Iron Maiden, but I'm not buying it any more.

Remember Learning to Live? Remember Voices or The Mirror? Missunderstood? What happened to stuff like that?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: