Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327636 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings  (Read 21670 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »

I too have been pretty meh on Dream Theater for a long time.  Their last 3 albums did not impress me at all, though their worst was still Falling Into Infinity; "You Not Me" sounds like a f'n 'NSYNC song.  Images & Words, Awake, and Six Degrees are where it's at for them.  When it comes to American prog-metal, though, my #1 is still Symphony X. 

Though I didn't like Systematic Chaos, John Myung's bass actually sounded un-wimpy on it.  Probably because he switched from Yamaha to MusicMan.  Smart move.  Yamaha basses sound rather "polite" and MM's do not. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:03:02 AM »

This thread makes me laugh.

If only James LaBrie could sing again.

What do you mean? He's been in his best shape ever since around the time he performed octavarium/the human equation/elements of persuasion. Have you seen them live in the past few years? His range is back and he doesn't do any of that screaming he did live in the I&W days, his control is almost perfect.

This is true, at least in regards to the Octavarium tour. Watching the Chaos in Motion DVD however leaves me to scratch my head as to why his performance is getting worse again.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 02:06:51 AM »

So, not much then.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 05:02:12 AM »

What do you mean? He's been in his best shape ever since around the time he performed octavarium/the human equation/elements of persuasion. Have you seen them live in the past few years? His range is back and he doesn't do any of that screaming he did live in the I&W days, his control is almost perfect.

I LOLed, because the worst concert I have ever attended was a Dream Theater concert back when they were touring to support "Falling Into Infinity".  LaBrie completely ruined it with his shit singing:  it was like he was torn between shrieking in pain, vomiting in agony, and yodeling.  I've never been able to look at that band the same again, or anything else LaBrie has had a hand in.  I haven't even listened to Ayreon's album "The Human Equation" since about two months after it was released thanks to him, and I'm the biggest Ayreon fan I know.

Yeah, fuck him.  And fuck this, too:

We're all impressed with the glued-on steel wool on your chin, you keytar-raping noodly fuckwit.

Yeah, the whole food poisoning issue blah blah blah. But why is what I said so funny? He started to recover his voice on the turbulence tour and has been in top shape since 2006. I asked if you had seen a DT show in the last years, not in 1997.
And give the guy a break, that was a very tough period for him.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »

I didn't realize the head of the James LaBrie Defense Force had decided to grace my humble message boards with their presence.  Forgive me for thinking that a shit singer is a shit singer.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »

I'm just saying that you shouldn't judge him based on a show were his voice was completely destroyed but whatever man, I couldn't care less, just trying to have a fair argument, I'm not a huge fan of him myself though the band is one of my favorites.
You made your point but you didn't really need to go there.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »

Let's all be honest and realistic here... most of us (and most fans) like Dream Theater DESPITE James LaBrie, not because of him. I've met very few people who actually like his voice. I'll agree that he ALMOST had it on Awake, but that's probably the closest he'll ever get (and others still could have probably done it better). Yes, his live singing may have gotten better, but it doesn't excuse the fact that he's a shit-poor singer to begin with. For a band comprised of some of the technically best musicians in their field, they deserve a better lead. I still think the best vocalist they ever had was Kevin Moore. His singing on Chroma Key is genuinely really good. He probably would never have been able to handle the metal stuff though. They could probably have picked up Bruce Dickenson after he left Iron Maiden the first time, that would have been a great match. But really, they just should have looked harder. I find that I tend to prefer vocalists who also play an instrument... they tend to have better intonation, and are much more involved with the writing in the band. LaBrie used to sit around and pay basketball while the guys were writing!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »

Look, I know all that. I agree DT deserve better. Someone like Daniel Gildenlow would be perfect imo, he would never fit into the band because of the songwriting but to do what James does, only sing and write lyrics, he would be perfect. James' voice is great for ballads though and even in other songs he has his moments. Overall I have no complaints regarding his performances on most albums. He was brilliant on the human equation.
D-rider's comment actually made me laugh because I posted negative comments towards James' singing on Mike's board on several occasions and was flamed into oblivion every time. I just think people should give him a break when they mention the FII tour because of the circumstances.
Actually, if you watch the live at the marquee dvd with the commentary on, you can hear some surprising things regarding James' singing from the others. Jordan even says flat out "my god, he is actually screaming" to which James replies "I'm glad I don't do that anymore".
Kevin has a nice voice but his range is really limited. He wouldn't be able to handle it.

Someone mentioned Symphony X, now there's a nice singer for DT.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »

Oh god, my eyes!!!

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »

that's strangely hypnotic... but overall very creepy.

honestly, Dincrest is going to rip me a new one for saying this, but I've never been a huge fan of Symphony X. Now, I really haven't paid much attention to them since Devine Wings of Tragedy, which was probably over a decade ago, but I've always been a bit adverse to fantasy progmetal. Symphony X aren't terrible, and i think they've got some great writing. But first and foremost, I thought their keyboard work during the Devine Wings era was simply aweful, and that's obviously something I'm very picky about. They've got a great singer though.

Oh, I just need to say this though: Rhapsody... lol.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 08:07:32 PM »

Rhapsody

GLORIA

GLORIA PERPETUA

IN THIS DAWN OF VICTORY

Yeah...  Derek was probably my favorite keyboard player for DT.  Kevin is great, but he's so full of himself and I do like Jordan, but his style gets old after awhile...  Derek is rockin.  And hilarious.

SHOW BUSINESS IS MY LIFE.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »

Prime- I figure with you being a keyboard player, you'd pick something like that out right away, much like I, as a bass player, pick bass out right away.  

As for Symph X, my favorite album of theirs is V: The Mythology Suite, which has my favorite song of theirs "Communion and the Oracle."  Some aspects of their music may be a little off here and there throughout their discography, but I do think they are a far more consistent band than Dream Theater.

In terms of European prog metal, I like Age of Nemesis's Psychogeist album (they're a Hungarian band and their singer enunciates English insanely well) and I think Seventh Wonder's pretty good too.  

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »

In terms of European prog metal, I like Age of Nemesis's Psychogeist album (they're a Hungarian band and their singer enunciates English insanely well) and I think Seventh Wonder's pretty good too.  

First you point out Suspyre, now Age of Nemesis and Seventh Wonder? You, sir, have good taste in music. :p Progressive Metal/Rock are probably two of my favorite genres, yet I don't really like DT at all outside of Images and Words so I'm not really looking forward to this record at all. I'll echo the sentiments that the last album was a trite affair and that James LaBrie sings like a prepubescent fuck face.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:07 AM »

Well, we're getting completely off-topic but what the hell, right now my favorite band is pain of salvation, I love SX but they need more variety, I like how all DT albums are completely different, SX's albums sound very similar though you could argue that the band is more consistent because of it. V is probably also my favorite.

I also love opeth.

Speaking of european prog bands, anyone here listen to riverside?

The news of a new transatlantic album has me very excited, lets hope it's another masterpiece.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: