Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318936 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recomendations please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Recomendations please  (Read 4744 times)
Gourry25

Gourrygab21
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:26:35 AM »

Ok I checked out gamerankings as well as asked a few who have played or seen these games in person and I still can't get a good idea on wether or not the games below are worth getting. so please if you played or know anything good or bad about these games so I can eithe remvoe oe keep them on my list let me know. here are the games:

Atlier iris: Eternal Mana
Atlier Iris 2
Wild Arms 3
Wild arms 4
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
Suikoden 4
Suikoden 5
Suikoden Tactics
Tales of the Abyss
Radiata Stories
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
MS Saga
Growlanser Generations
Shining Tears
Shining Force Neo
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Shadow Hearts 3
Metal Saga

I do hope I can get good feedback from you all.
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:18 AM »

I liked Radiata Stories and from the little bit of Suikoden V I have played, I can tell it will be very good.

Currently Playing: Suikoden V, Guild Wars (in game is Stubsy Bear)
Recently Finished: Radiata Stories (human and non-human ending), FFVI
Backlog: Xenosaga EP. 1, Xenosaga EP. 2
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:01:35 AM »

Suikoden IV is a pretty good game In my opinion.  I know a lot of Suikoden fans would disagree with me, but I personaly did not mind anything of the changes.  The only thing that sort of ticked me off was how badly some of the NPCs were done...  The ones in the first Suikoden (Very early PSone) seemed to have more personality...  It's a solid game though, I'd say.

Suikoden V is a damn fine game.  Resembles the second game so much.  It has a big cast of very lovable characters and a very interesting storyline.  My only real problem with the game is the non-existant challenge.  Which is a damn shame since the game offers so much customization.. but it's just not worth the effort, the game is easy enough... :(

Magna Carta: Tears of Blood is OKAY so far.  I've played for about 5 hours so far and it's a mixed bag really....  Combat is interesting, very innovative but somewhat boring, mainly because it's REALLY slow paced.  It just doesn't look right either, since other then the player/enemy that is moving, the battlefield looks pretty lifeless.  Characters seem extremely cookie-cutter'ish so far, hopefully they will gain some real depth soon...

That's all I got. :D
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:20:32 AM »

Suikoden V.

That is your only choice if you call yourself a fan of RPGs.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:23:20 AM »

Quote from: "Testament"
Suikoden VI is a pretty good game In my opinion.  I know a lot of Suikoden fans would disagree with me, but I personaly did not mind anything of the changes.

Dude, Suik6 is the worst game in the series yet. How the fuck can you like it?

In seriousness though, I enjoyed SuikIV, even though it really wasn't that great of a game. Ironically, there's things I think it did better than SuikV - I prefered the over the shoulders camera over the overhead one, espicially with how zoomed out they made it, and is it me, or are the non-FMV graphics /better/ in SuikIV than SuikV? Plus there's other minor touches, such as how smoothly the menus operated.

Most of the games on that list are decent, but what exactly are you looking for? Decent story, decent gameplay, a specific flavor to the game (such as light hearted, serious, etc), or just a generic 'something fun'?

Edit: Though, I'll note that MS Saga, Shining Tears, and Shining Force Neo are generally regarded as shit, though those that like SFN seem to love it.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 03:33:41 AM »

Definitely keep the Shadow Hearts games on your list.  They are some of the best games that have come out recently.  I'm actually going through them right now and I can say they are incredible!  I've played Radiata Stories and enjoyed it.  The Wild Arms series is really great.  Instead of Alter Code F though, I'd try to find the original on Ebay or something.  Some of the changes in Alter Code F weren't for the better.  The overworld  was kind of annoying in the remake and the small additions to the game I thought didn't need to be added.  I think the original was good.  

For games that I recommend you add to your list, I would say Rogue Galaxy!

It's not out yet in America, but then again, not all of the games on your list are out yet.  This is the most amazing game!  You know how a lot of games nowadays just throw around the word epic to describe games?  Well, this game really is epic rather than the casual "it's long so it must be epic" description.  I really can't wait for the American version to come out.  It is out in Japan though.  If you want to get it, you can right here!

I would seriuosly give this game a try.  I would say don't wait and get the Japanese version, but that's just me.  I loved it!

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Gourry25

Gourrygab21
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:25:12 AM »

Ok from what I get Suikoden 4 and 5 are worth getting as are the Shadow Hearts game series. Radiata Stories seems mixed but I'm intersted in playing it so I might get that as well down the line. i have  Played and Finished Wild Arms 1 and 2, but was not sure if 3, 4 and Alter F were still good or not. I am intersted in Shining Tears but still need more info about that game if anyone can help. Now as far as Suikoden Tactics. Is that Suikoden 6?
    Magna Carta I have heard mixed things about as well and need more info to see if i'd enjoy that ot not.  That leaves Growlanser Generations and MS saga since the other games are not yet out over here in the states. Any idea on those?
    Finally I did not add a few games like Xenosaga 2 and 3 cause I want to get those despite what people say about the series, I also did not ask about Atlier Iris: Eternal Mana and its sequel cause i felt like I was planning to get those games. But if you have info on Atlier Iris let me know ok. and I thank you for all you feedback. I am an Rpg gamer and it can get tough to find the right game these days.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:34:01 AM »

I can't believe you guys are recommending Suikoden IV.  After playing and finishing it, I considered the Suikoden series a one-hit wonder, though I never played the first.  Luckily I heard so much praise for the fifth game, which turned to be pretty good, though not spectacular.  The only must buy on the list has to be Shadow Hearts 2 and probably Tales of the Abyss when it releases.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Fate Linegod

yandy_zer0
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »

Quote from: "Gourry25"
I am intersted in Shining Tears but still need more info about that game if anyone can help.

My Reasons (and opinions) why I loved this Game:
Taka-Sensei done the Artworks.
Real Time Battle System.
Anime (2D Style) Graphics.
2-Player Mode.
Multiple Endings.

The flaws of this Game:
The Plot not developed well.
The AI of your Partner simply horrible.
The Voice Overs are horrible.

Quote from: "Gourry25"
That leaves Growlanser Generations and MS saga since the other games are not yet out over here in the states. Any idea on those?

Imo, about Growlanser:
Urushihara-Sensei done the Artworks (+).
2-D Style Character Graphics (+).
Multiple Endings (+).
3-D Style Backgrounds (-).
Decent Plot (-).

About MS Saga, I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about it.
Maybe the others can help you out.

"We're anything but Normal"
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 11:56:30 AM »

Wild ARMs 3 - Not the best game ever, though I enjoyed it for the most part. Drawn out for far too long in places, and others are just boring. However, there are some very good spots, and it can be some great fun. Mixed feelings on this one, but it's not bad. Worth a rent, at least.

Wild ARMs 4 - Solid game, with a great battle system. A lot of the dialouge is garbage, and it seems really focused on some nonsense "Child vs Adult" concept, but if you can deal with that, it's great fun. Battle system alone makes it worth it. Worth a spin.

Wild ARMs: Alter Code F - Haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but what I have played is solid. As far as I've gone, it's been a successful recreation of the original, without being the exact same game with a facelift. Give it a try.

Suikoden 5 - This game is one of the few in recent memory that has had me playing for up to ten hours in a single day. It's a whole lot of fun, with a multitude of twists to keep you going. Great cast and characterization, and things don't drag on too long. The biggest issue is the encounter rate, which while not overly high, can get very annoying in the longer dungeons. Definately give it a try.

Radiata Stories - This game is a lot of fun, period. The battle system can get a little plodding, but an amazing cast and hilarious characterization, combined with humourous dialouge and nice enviroments create a solid, solid game. Having beaten it twice, and having my party at level 99, I still have fun playing it again and again. More worth it than you know. Pick it up, no doubt.

Aside from that, I can't help you.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 05:41:11 AM »

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana is a fun light RPG.

I didn't like Wild Arms 3 enough to finish it, but I enjoyed it moderately.  Not a bad choice if you see it for cheap.

Suikoden 5 has a superb story & characters.  Gameplay isn't as impressive, but I'd still say it's the best game on your list.

Magna Carta was entertaining at first with some interesting gameplay ideas, but the slow pace of the combat really started to annoy me and I set it aside.  Maybe when I get a month or two off work, I'll go back and finish it.

Growlanser Generations was a lot of fun.  I think the first game in the set is more entertaining then the second unfortunately (unfortunate since the first game is fairly short).

Shadow Hearts 1&2 are good games that annoyed me by being incredibly easy.  As long as you have decent timing there isn't really any strategy necessary.  The second game also disappointed me by trying to be funny and failing as opposed to the cool dark plot of the first game.  Then again, I have a friend who loves the series, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Metal Saga has next to no story, but it's a lot of fun if exploring a giant world and customizing tanks is your thing.  Reminds me of the old NES RPGs as far as gameplay goes.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 05:50:49 AM »

While 2's considered the best SH by many, opinions do vary wildly. I found SH:C genuinely funny, but really didn't find SH1 honestly that dark, at least not in contrast to the MegaTen games; it's kinda like getting some food labeled as 'spicy', but it's a very mild spicy. But despite those issues, I still liked SH1 more anyway - it was easy, but at least it had a semblance of difficulty to it, and the monster designs were /definitely/ where almost all of the game's 'darkness' went to.

There was also actual musical vairty in 1: SH:C kept repeating the same boring dungeon them for almost every dungeon in the game. Fuck, they couldn't even be bothered to get a /final dungeon theme/. Not using a hardly used song like Xenosaga or something either, no. It just went and used the disc 2 regular battle theme. To be fair, that did come off as epic, yet still underwhelming, and they replaced the normal battle theme with the boss battle theme.

However... I generally liked SH:C's story better, the voices are /definitely/ better, and despite an odd twist in the ending that I don't really know what to say about anymore, I liked the (good) ending of SH:C much more.

If you don't mind an easy ass game that can get pretty boring, definitely get SH:C. But if you're going to get that, do yourself a favor and make sure to get SH1 as well - and blow off anyone that says to skip SH1, you'll appreciate SH:C more for having gone through 1 first. :P
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 08:04:22 AM »

the only thing i didnt like about suikoden 4 is the length it was way too short for my tastes. hows suiko 5 on length?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 01:19:34 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
the only thing i didnt like about suikoden 4 is the length it was way too short for my tastes. hows suiko 5 on length?

80 hours on my second playthrough... getting all SODs.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »

Nearly 40 for me, but I used a faq. Fuck mindlessly sailing across that obscenely annoying ocean to search for people.

In fact, without that ocean I wager the game could've been in the area of 10 or 20 hours shorter. Possibly more.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: