Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print
Author Topic: Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star  (Read 33736 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »

I don't understand the complaining about the new voices.  When in direct comparison with SSSC, the new voices are actually a good deal better. Not all characters, but many.

I think a lot of Lunar fans are stuck in the past and have some problems with change.  Hell, I'm still hearing complaints about how it should have been TSS over SSS that was remade.  Just because the voices are different doesn't instantly make them worse.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:43:10 PM by Cyril » Logged
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2010, 07:29:08 PM »

When I tried the demo, I was fine with the new voices. My main problems were that battles were slow & tedious and that the music would cut out everytime the game loads (which is frequent). Since half the reason to play a Lunar game is to listen to the awesome music, that alone was a big strike against it in my book.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

The newer voices have taken some getting used to, I'll admit.  Ghaleon's new voice is cool.  Not drippingly evil like John Truitt's was, but still very regal and cool.  Mel's "angry Scottish pirate" accent is just totally awesome!  I'm still somewhat stuck on Nall's high-pitched voice from WD's dub, but I don't find his new voice at all unfitting.  It just requires a bit of a mental shift.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »

I'm 14 hours in. Please note that this is coming from someone who never played the original Lunar (I know, I know....), so obviously I am not going to make any comparisons here.

Graphics: beautiful towns and villages. The dungeons are not quite as impressive, but they also look very good. Character artwork is very nice as well. I understand that the cutscenes are slightly remastered PS1 cutscenes and they look good.

Music: beautiful, beautiful music. The voice acting is more than adequate. I know there is some controversy regarding Ghaleon's voice actor and the translation of some of the songs, but screw that. The sound effects are fine - nothing to write home about.

Battlesystem: It does feel a little tedious and slow as someone mentioned above, but it gets better as you play, at least for me. It might be because the enemies are becoming slightly more challenging. I was able to go through the first dungeon simply by using the AI command, but since then I've started issuing orders manually and it's fun. Definitely not the best battlesystem ever made, but it gets the job done.

Other than that, the story is not bad at all and the characters are adorable. There is quite a bit of interaction between the characters and I like that a lot. There is some annoying backtracking (especially before you get that certain item), but since most of the dungeons I've seen so far are only two screens, albeit packed with enemies, it's not really a big deal. The loading in towns is a bit annoying, but I think I've gotten to used to it.

I'm definitely enjoying the game a lot. The PSP should have a great year when it comes to RPGs and Lunar definitely doesn't disappoint.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »

I'm 14 hours in. Please note that this is coming from someone who never played the original Lunar (I know, I know....), so obviously I am not going to make any comparisons here.

I'm definitely enjoying the game a lot. The PSP should have a great year when it comes to RPGs and Lunar definitely doesn't disappoint.

I think its cool to hear from someone who hasn't played the original. Judge the game on its own merits and not in relation to the originals and its myriad re-makes.

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »

I think its cool to hear from someone who hasn't played the original. Judge the game on its own merits and not in relation to the originals and its myriad re-makes.

I absolutely agree.  I've been reading posts about this game on other forums (I'm only about 8 hours in myself) and everyone seems to be irrationally attacking the game because it isn't exactly the same as SSSC.  Oh no, Luna sounds slightly different!  Terrible voice actress!

That said, my biggest complaint so far is how hard it is to dodge enemies sometimes. Even when you can run around an enemy, you probably aren't going to dodge it because they move faster than you do.  Let me also express my love for Mia and Mel's voice actors.  Both are exactly how I imagined them to be.

I'm also interested in hearing the opinions of people who haven't played an older version.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »

Well i've never played any lunar before (sad i know) and i dont really have any voice i dislike, but is not like they are always talking so i dont see whats the big deal here, actually, i barely remember each character's voices, im having a lot of fun finally playing a rpg with both good gameplay and story, normally, on most of the remakes i play, because the game is already too old it makes the story way too cliche and i get bored easily, but that isnt happening here.

So there are only 3 things i dislike now.
1.- As i said before... Url or however that flying rat that is always following you is called, is ALWAYS talking in your place, i dont know if its because Alex is shy or something, but im so sick of that -.-', i barely know how Alex's personality is, i mean, if they wanted to do a silent character then he shouldnt talk at all, but now more of Alex's dialogues are "...", but the main problem is how the rat answers... it always annoys me...
2.- As someone stated before, is hard to evade monsters since they are faster than you, this is really annoying since there are some places you have to go 2 or 3 times and you are obviously overleveled, makes you lose lots of time.
3.- The loading time in towns, going in and out of houses takes way too much time, specially in some houses where you have to enter, and then enter in another room again if you want to find some NPC to talk to, worst thing is that it lowers the volume of the music and then turn it on again, they could at least let us hear something while waiting for the screen to appear

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2010, 11:46:41 AM »

I recall when they said they were going to bring back elements from the original games, which originally had me psyched. (I bought the very first Lunar on the Sega CD when it came out, so I'm a little obsessed with the series. :P )

From what I've seen, this is just another remake of the PS1 version.

If they had reverted the ocarina to Alex playing a harp again, I would have bought it on day 1. (And better let, leaving Luna behind when going to Meribia.)

But I've acknowledged that this remake isn't for me, it's for the newer fans, so I'm not going to let it get to me.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »

If they had reverted the ocarina to Alex playing a harp again, I would have bought it on day 1. (And better let, leaving Luna behind when going to Meribia.)

Pfft, that isn't nearly as big of a change as how Alex was nerfed from most overpowered character ever to decent swordsman. :P

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »

How different is the localisation?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »

Pfft, that isn't nearly as big of a change as how Alex was nerfed from most overpowered character ever to decent swordsman. :P

if alex was nerfed the game becomes a lot harder >_< will probally need to utilize kyle more,and attack more with jessica.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
rpgfan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »

When does this game pick up? I'm about two hours in, in the Grotto woods.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »

if alex was nerfed the game becomes a lot harder >_< will probally need to utilize kyle more,and attack more with jessica.
Eh, even though the port is based on the PSX version, this is easily the easiest version of Lunar so far (well, compared to Sega CD and PSX), so odds are you won't notice that too much when you're steamrolling everything.  Alex just isn't a one man army in this game.  Heh.

When does this game pick up? I'm about two hours in, in the Grotto woods.

Lunar has two distinct times it improves, once after the first major city and the other about half of the way through the game.  But if you aren't too interested in it so far, odds are it won't.  Lunar's something of an acquired taste.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:54:20 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
rpgfan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »

Lunar has two distinct times it improves, once after the first major city and the other about half of the way through the game.  But if you aren't too interested in it so far, odds are it won't.  Lunar's something of an acquired taste.

I heard great things about this game so I'll wait it out.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »

I never played the original Lunar, but I really can´t imagine Alex playing anything but the ocarina.

The battles were funny at first, but then they start to drag the pace... still I play it for nostalgia.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: