Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332825 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star  (Read 33475 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »

I don't really find parody funny.

Ever.

And I take it as a sign of being bereft of GOOD ideas.

You and Gen are siamese twins aren't you?

But i do concur that parody is usually the refugee of the lazy writter, the good examples are quite rare to find. But when it's well done i don't mind it at all.

I enjoy parody.  I even liked Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »

I pretty much echo everyone else's sentiments. If you were gaming when Lunar came out, you've played this already, most likely on the SegaCD AND PS1. Great news for peoplem that haven't played it yet, though.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »

The screen shots look pretty good though. Characters look a hell of a lot less chibli and yet they are still able to move about the battlefield.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

the good examples are quite rare to find.

But when it's well done i don't mind it at all.

Well considering this perhaps I've never seen good examples of it >:Y

Anyway if I gave the impression that parody universally *pisses me off*, that's not the case. I just don't find it funny. Sooooo if it's parody for the sake of surreality or something I'm pretty cool with it.

The main problem is that it mostly just sort of breaks down into reference-movie territory. Scary Movie, and the like, you know? Or like really, really poorly done satire.

Anyway, where in the world are the screenshots for this? I'm not finding them in the articles that have so far been linked to.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »

The extent to which Working Designs put popular culture references and inappropriate jokes in their games isn't really anywhere near as much as it's often made out to be. For the most part it's just when you're talking to townspeople who normally have very little interesting to say anyway. And they toned it down almost completely in their later games, like Arc the Lad Collection.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »

Oh, true, and it wasn't such an issue with Lunar which was mostly learthighted anyway. It was just in stuff like Alundra or some of the other games they did.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »

...STOP REMAKING THIS GAME HOLY SHIT.

I was genuinely excited till I realized that this game has been remade, like, 400 times now.

WHERE IS LUNAR THREE HOLY FUCK.

In any event, it looks good.

mmm... http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/lunards/index.html

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »

Dude... Satire isn't just "Scary Movie" and "Enter the Spartans" or whatever that shit was called. Remember Monty Python? Sean of the Dead? Airplane? There is some seriously good satire out there that is quite witty and not entirely unintelligent. Its true that it's probably the hardest style to get right, but when it's done right, it can be brilliant.

ON TOPIC:

This game has been remade so many times it hurts.

Sega CD
Saturn
PSX
GBA

We REALLY don't need a 5th version?!

And I really am not sure if I'd even be all that excited if Game Arts gave us a NEW game... remember Dragon Song? Also add to that that the last two consol RPGs we've seen from them were Grandia Extreme and Grandia III. They're current record isn't exactly all that stellar. I'm guessing that most of the people who orginally part of the Lunar and Grandia teams have left or something... the recent games seem to totally miss the point of those series.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »

Well, the Psone version was more of a port of a remake... which probably isn't much better.

My problem with this remake? The first remake was great, can the new remake meet the standards Silver Star Story set? The first two versions were good games, but being a remake of a good game is no guarantee for quality.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »

This game has been remade so many times it hurts.

Sega CD
Saturn
PSX
GBA
[/quote]

You missed PC.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

OMG Lunar Dragon Song was awful. It's the only game in the series i have played. For some reason I finished it. I don't remember why. Since I have never played said game, a remake is fine with me. I'll probably get it.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »

Blace, do get it. HOWEVER, the biggest draw, at least for me, was the Working Designs translation, and there's no guarentee they will use that. Honestly, it's a game that is either geneus or pure crap, depending upon the quality of the dialog. That's probably why Dragon Song sucked so much (never played it, thankfully).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »

I personally loved Working Designs translation, since most the humor was either appropriate to the situation or wasn't intrusive. Given that, I'm ambivalent on my opinion of another remake, I dunno if it'll have the same charm as WD's version.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »

To be fair, the differences in how WD worked on the original Sega CD versions and the Saturn/PS1 remakes is pretty vast when you really look at it.  They may not have really stopped with the pop culture references or satirical humor, but their later works showed more polish before they went under.  Then again, I'm a big fan of satire.  I love it when a game pokes fun at itself, whether it was originally intended or not.  Like others have said, done right it can be a lot of fun.

Back on topic, though, I like what I'm seeing of the screenshots so far.  The character artstyle hasn't changed, thank the Gods, like a lot of other PSP remakes.  I'm not sure I'm sold on the in-game sprites, though.  I need to see them in motion.

If they do bring this over (I don't see why they wouldn't) and decide to revoice it, it'd be a bit bittersweet for me.  No one will play Ghaleon as deliciously evil as John Truitt.  Ever.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:31:29 PM by Spoony Mage » Logged

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »

I hope they change the Dragon Armor, the transformation is cool but the design was kinda ugly.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: