Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 07:34:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329449 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star  (Read 33030 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »

I'm not sure if Atlus is quite like Working Designs, though. Though, admittedly, my only experience with Atlus was with Persona 3 & 4. From what I saw, Atlus seemed to want to stick with a lot of the cultural concepts of the original translation, but make it understandable to the american viewer. Working Designs, on the other hand, was willing to stray quite a lot from what I can gather were the original roots of the dialog to try and make it a lot more vivid to the american audience, even if it meant changing some of the fundimental content. Working Designs took a lot more risks with their translation, IMO, and I think for the most part, it really paid off.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 01:52:51 AM »

I'm not sure if Atlus is quite like Working Designs, though. Though, admittedly, my only experience with Atlus was with Persona 3 & 4. From what I saw, Atlus seemed to want to stick with a lot of the cultural concepts of the original translation, but make it understandable to the american viewer. Working Designs, on the other hand, was willing to stray quite a lot from what I can gather were the original roots of the dialog to try and make it a lot more vivid to the american audience, even if it meant changing some of the fundimental content. Working Designs took a lot more risks with their translation, IMO, and I think for the most part, it really paid off.

Another thing that WD did was tweaking the game's code to make it slightly more difficult for the American audience (like Mail's sword getting shorter in Popful Mail).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 02:02:10 AM »

WD also made that one SHMUP they translated unfinishable because they tweaked the difficulty.

In any case didn't Atlus USA absorb most of WD's ex-staffers?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »

Another thing that WD did was tweaking the game's code to make it slightly more difficult for the American audience (like Mail's sword getting shorter in Popful Mail).

This has more often than not made the game worse than better. It's the same as with fan mods for games trying to make them harder but completely missing the point, better to leave it alone and have a game that's "too easy" (as the case was most of the time when they did this) than result in a game that's too hard.

Anyways, to Prime Mover's post: You're referring to two games where trying to Americanize would've only fucked things up (as they learned with Persona 1), and even then I kinda find that a nonsensical. You can't really know how much is changed without comparing the scripts of both languages, but even without that Atlus has some fun with the localization and is more daring than most publishers by embracing the Japanese nature of the games and using that to add flavor rather than try to downplay most of it in favor of the familiar, keeping that to a minimum. But my statement was more about the games they bring out, and Atlus has filled up that niche fairly well, the localizations help and the bonuses they dole out further reinforce it. What they don't have covered (typically more actiony games) is made up for by the other publishers out there.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 02:20:48 AM »

Now THOSE are a lot better.  Thanks!  The graphics in those shots look like something worth getting excited about.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Thebel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »

Hope they´ll add more events with Royce and Phacia
Justice

wing_hart@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »

I think a new main game would've been better but I guess this is better than nothing
and the screens are really good!! I'm more excited now about

i just hope that if this remake is successful , they do Lunar 2
that would be awsome
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »

I had to round out my collection by getting Dragon Song.

I KNOW I KNOW.

It was only 11 dollars new though, so...  Okay.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »

I had to round out my collection by getting Dragon Song.

I KNOW I KNOW.

It was only 11 dollars new though, so...  Okay.

I liked the first half hour or so of Dragon Song, other than the whole no targeting nonsense.  Of course, I may end up hating everything else in the game, but so far it's ok.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »

do we really need another remake of lunar 1? i'd prefer a remake of lunar 2.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Justice

wing_hart@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »

^
hopefully after they release this one
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »

Now THOSE are a lot better.  Thanks!  The graphics in those shots look like something worth getting excited about.

I dunno, cities and dungeons looks smaller, the character sprites looks good enough, and it seems they are reusing the same cut scenes, will the music be the same?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »

Let's hope so.  Lunar, or at least the remakes, has some of the best animated cutscenes in my opinion.

And maybe the reason why the towns look much smaller is beause the character sprites are bigger?  That, more than anything, was what I meant by the graphics.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »

All I'm praying for is that they keep the same music (great compositions) but re-arrange them with better instrumentation.  Although the compositions were great in the game, the music quality was pretty bad.  Sounded like the compositions were being played on a $50 Casio synthesizer! :).  If only the music could sound like the arranged songs in the Lunatic Fiesta albums, I'd be in heaven!  Listen to the Burg and Meribia songs from that soundtrack and tell me that wouldn't be better than the original!!

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/lunarssslf3/index.html
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »

mmmm Lunatic Festa arranges.

Iwadare could (and should) produce even more arranges than those, and the PSP remake gives him ample opportunity to do so. A dedicated instrumental arrange album would be fantastic.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: