Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 02:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334646 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star  (Read 33701 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »

I dunno, those town graphics look quite good. I don't remeber the angle being isometric either, weren't they basically 2D FF style... ie: basically top down? This looks quite a bit different than I remember. And yes, let's hope they don't change the music, but I do agree, the synth was pretty basic. They don't really need to rearrange the pieces rather than simply upgrade the synthesizer, and then tweek the midi to fit... all the actual notes can pretty much stay the same. We're not talking about NES where you originally had 3 notes to work with (which doesn't cut it these days). SNES/Genesis/PS1 were fully multitambral unites with up to something like 16 similtaneous notes, which isn't much more than even a lot of todays lower-end sountracks use. Of course, if you're doing realistic orchestral synthesis, you need something like 64, but we're not really talking about that.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »

Is Iwadare doing the music for the remake?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

I like synthesizer music. Screw orchestral.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2009, 03:37:27 AM »

I like synthesizer music. Screw orchestral.

This.  Nine times out of ten, orchestral music in games totally sucks.  Anyone remember DQVIII?  Man, I have had bowel movements that sound better than that score.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2009, 04:19:45 AM »

Los, I'm gonna have to strongly disagree. I'm currently replaying DQVIII, and I'm continuously reminded of how charming the soundtrack is. Sure, it's not trailblazing, but it's kind of a different genre than most RPGs (conservative, early 20th century English classical music ie: Vaughn Williams or Elgar), and I think it's glorious. But for the most part, I totally agree, straight-ahead orchestra doesn't work. Mostly, what I've heard in terms of orchestral VGM is an opportunity for the composer to be non-melodic and just do boring ambient string bullshit (lots of FF12). I love orchestral music, and I love video game music, and I even love orchestral film scoring, but somehow, few video game composers have been able to be particularly inspiring when using an orchestra. I find their at their best when their doing orchestral mixed with rock like Uematsu and Hamauzu. Feel free to add in a few synthesizer leads here, a drum kit there, some sound effects, a piano solos, etc. Most of the time, orchestral video game music seems way too conservative for its own good.

Don't know why I loved DQVIIIs music so much though, I just found it incredibly charming. BTW: DQV DS uses almost exactly the same tracks, just slightly lower quality for the DS.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »

I generally dislike orchestral music in games (and orchestral VGM albums) because for the most part, I find traditional VGM completely loses its energy when played by a string ensemble. DQVIII's soundtrack I actually liked, but that was because it was written to be played orchestrally, so there's nothing lost in translation.

In regards to Lunar, I don't think Iwadare was even involved with SSSC, but since we know he's doing some work for Grandia Online, there's still that chance he might pop an appearance.

You know what would be cool? If they brought back the music from the Sega CD version. I've barely heard anything from TSS (as opposed to SSSC), I just want the opening. :P

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »

I don't think Iwadare was even involved with SSSC
Actually, he very much was.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »

It was a pretty big point that he wasn't involved in Dragon Song, so if he had been absent prior I don't think people would've cared as much.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »

All I want out of this is a complete Lunar soundtrack, and one for the Eternal Blue remake when it inevitably happens.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »

I'll pass this game... I already the game finished last year on the PS1.

I prefer the original 2d graphics anyhow. :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »

Keep in mind that I never asked for orchestral music instead of synth music, I asked for "better" synths.  The Lunatic Fiesta CDs are not orchestral, they're just done with very high quality synths and some real instruments.  The synths in Lunar SSSC were awful, plain and simple.  They just need to up the quality to make the compositions shine.

I also have to disagree about the DQVIII score.  I loved the music in DQ8.  The orchestral score really made a huge difference for me.  Gave it that extra special quality.  The Japanese release did not have orchestral music and had synth instead.  That's one addition that I was REALLY glad that we got here.

However, not every RPG needs to have an orchestral score.  I think what clinches it for me is the "inclusion" of a few real instruments mixed in with the synths.  Whatever people say, a REAL violin sounds a hell of a lot better than a synth trying to emulate a violin!!

One of the best example for this is the music from Albert Odyssey on Saturn.  Synths but with a few real instruments like violin and flute thrown in for the main melody.  Check the first 3 samples at the link there to see what I mean:

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ao/index.html

I'm also currently playing Suikoden: Tierkreis and it also has some real instruments in some of the songs.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

Everything Eric said (besides saying "Fiesta" instead of "Festa") I totally agree with.

"Arrangement" does not equal "orchestra."

And Albert Odyssey Gaiden: Legend of Eldean is a perfect example of what he's talking about. That's a great soundtrack.

An updated soundtrack for both Lunar games would be good. And, as Parn said, COMPLETE soundtracks for each game would also be good. Really good.

If Iwadare doesn't have a direct on-hand involvement with this version, it will either mean 1) they're reusing the old music, or 2) they got someone other than Iwadare, and that would suck.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »

Dragon Quest's music, for the most part, isn't something I'd want to listen to separate from the game. However, it's an integral part of the EXPERIENCE, and that's more important in a game than something that you'd listen to over and over on your iPod or whatever. I kind of wonder if people just don't find the music particularly interesting beyond the game then slam it as crap, even though it doesn't detract form the experience, and possibly adds to it. It's not like we're talking about Star Ocean 3 that played a completely out of place rap song for the battle theme immediately after a significant character was fatally wounded.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »

Dragon Quest's music, for the most part, isn't something I'd want to listen to separate from the game. However, it's an integral part of the EXPERIENCE, and that's more important in a game than something that you'd listen to over and over on your iPod or whatever. I kind of wonder if people just don't find the music particularly interesting beyond the game then slam it as crap, even though it doesn't detract form the experience, and possibly adds to it. It's not like we're talking about Star Ocean 3 that played a completely out of place rap song for the battle theme immediately after a significant character was fatally wounded.

God. I hated that (in fact I still view it as the exact moment the game decides to clusterfuck it's story).

Edit: Actually that would be the point where Fayt kills a spaceship with a lazor. Or was it that whole Sophia lookalike bit. Actually, was there any part during that game where the story wasn't complete and utter trash?

Getting back on topic though. Considering how much was changed between all three versions I wouldn't be surprised if this one received a major overhaul too.

My biggest concern though is if this game picks up an excellent localization or not since, as stated before, the game's story is rather barebones on it's own.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge

SirKizyr
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »

Chiming in once again...

Re: music
No word yet on soundtracks, if Noriyuki Iwadare will be involved, or to what extent. He was involved in SSS, and wasn't involved in Dragon Song (although the soundtrack for Lunar: DS isn't that bad, and sounds consistent with the rest of the series).

I'd love to see the music get an overhaul, too. After story, music is my favorite aspect of a game; Albert Odyssey's soundtrack still manages to move me, even though I barely remember a lick of its storyline (there was a birdman, a dragon, some harpies, and a bunch of jokes... that's about it). They wouldn't need to change the composition any; just improve the quality. (Oh, and, more TSS themes, less of the bland EB dungeon music.)

Re: localization
Still no word yet... If I were a betting man, I'd bet Atlus, but G1 is betting XSEED (if our World Cup bets are any indication, he tends to win any wager); it could also be Vic's company, or it could be UbiSoft. ...or it could be no one at all, but I'd rather not dwell on that possibility. KF

~KF

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: