Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327636 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star  (Read 32838 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2009, 01:36:37 AM »

...or it could be no one at all, but I'd rather not dwell on that possibility. KF

Honestly, I think Lunar's well known enough that someone's going to take it on, or at least try to. I more likely see bad license deals or stubborn individuals more likely to screw us out of the game than apathy.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »

Re: localization
Still no word yet... If I were a betting man, I'd bet Atlus, but G1 is betting XSEED (if our World Cup bets are any indication, he tends to win any wager); it could also be Vic's company, or it could be UbiSoft. ...or it could be no one at all, but I'd rather not dwell on that possibility.

Keep it away from Ireland, for the love of god.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge

SirKizyr
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »

...or it could be no one at all, but I'd rather not dwell on that possibility. KF
Honestly, I think Lunar's well known enough that someone's going to take it on, or at least try to. I more likely see bad license deals or stubborn individuals more likely to screw us out of the game than apathy.
Well, it seems that G1 was right after all, and XSEED is picking it up. The new name is "Lunar: Silver Star Harmony" for the NA release (which I like better; the omission of the article was starting to bug me). We've of course updated LunarNET's page, but there's a really interesting interview at RPGamer here:
RPGamer - Lunar: Silver Star Harmony Exclusive Developer Interview
There's also XSEED's press release here:
XSEED E3 Press Release

Shigema is still involved, and Iwadare and Kubooka are to some extent. It'll be closer to the Saturn than the Sega CD version, also. No telling how much of the story-related content they'll lift from WD's translation in the localization, though. KF

~KF

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2009, 06:04:25 PM »

I imagine they'll retain all the names, which I kinda prefer for the sake of familiarity and that I liked some of the names over the Japanese ones, like Fidy becoming Quark (though that's since been diminished too). I'm hoping that some of the more ridiculous changes are dropped though, like the body odor one, though I wouldn't be surprised if they slipped in a joke about the original localizations.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »

So judging from the interview on the news page, is it safe to assume that Victor Ireland has no association with the new Lunar release?

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:28 AM »

So judging from the interview on the news page, is it safe to assume that Victor Ireland has no association with the new Lunar release?

I don't think that's a safe assumption, but I am not sure one way or the other.

Though, I am interested in knowing everyone's opinion in terms of the Lunar PSP localization. Given the choices of:

1) retranslated Lunar PSP (since it is a new script) that retains much of the "feel" of Working Designs Lunar, including character names, NPCs with that distinct brand of personality, etc

or

2) retranslated Lunar PSP, from scratch, with a static/literal translation of the Japanese version

Which would you prefer?

Note that, essentially, you can see these two translations in action. One comes from Working Designs (Sega CD or PS1), the other comes from Ubisoft (the GBA Lunar Legend). With XSEED at the helm, they have the option of using their own translators to go for a "dynamic" translation (akin to WD's work) or a "static" translation (akin to Ubi's work). Which would you, as a gamer, prefer most?

Just something to consider.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »

I'd prefer it to be 'truer', but literal is rarely any good. I would rather names be kept the same unless it was stupid while reversing unnecessary plot/characterization changes.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »

With XSEED at the helm, they have the option of using their own translators to go for a "dynamic" translation (akin to WD's work) or a "static" translation (akin to Ubi's work). Which would you, as a gamer, prefer most?

I haven't seen XSEED take too many liberties with their translations, so I doubt this one will be any different.  As for whether the more literal translation is better than the huge changes WD threw into the games, that'll have to wait until we get the game.  Hopefully the dialogue's a bit more interesting than it was rumored to be in earlier versions of the game.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

I'd choose #2

placeboblack

UrmnafVolte
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »

Option 1 for me.  Ive only ever played the Working Designs version (on the playstation) and thats the version that resonates with my fondness of the series.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »

Option 1, but I'd have to know more about the quality of the original dialogue, since I have no idea if was as entertaining as WD's version. FFVI for example, at least according to a few anecdotes I've heard from Japanese speakers, apparently had a pretty bland script and was more interesting to read in the US release (despite some naming inaccuracies) - Lunar could be the same.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:32:20 PM by DPB » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »

Actually, I should clarify somewhat - I'd like to see the names WD choose kept since most of the changes are either more or less the same as the Japanese or were completely silly sounding (Quark was Fidy!), but I'd rather that whatever plot elements or characters that WD significantly changed be reverted to how they were prior. The body odor may've been funny to 12 year olds but I don't want to see such crap injected nowadays.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2009, 11:26:34 PM »

Actually, I should clarify somewhat - I'd like to see the names WD choose kept since most of the changes are either more or less the same as the Japanese or were completely silly sounding (Quark was Fidy!), but I'd rather that whatever plot elements or characters that WD significantly changed be reverted to how they were prior. The body odor may've been funny to 12 year olds but I don't want to see such crap injected nowadays.

What about the Dragon doo?

I still think that one's funny simply because it skewer's the otherwise serious purpose of such a pointless fetch quest (although to be fair it did net some extra cash in the end which is extremely nice considering how hard it is to come up with any sort of scratch any version of this game).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »

God.....just....please give me a new translation.

One that isn't filled with childish, forced humour.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2009, 12:21:05 AM »

It just dawned on me that the entire reason they're remaking this game is so that they can have an excuse to replace all the old pop culture jokes with more current pop culture jokes.

I still don't think that they shouldn't do that dragon dung bit.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: