Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 07:40:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337888 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?  (Read 20588 times)
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »

What's going on? I thought the PS3 would be an RPG powerhouse due to the fact that its' the successor to the PS1 and PS2, both RPG workhorses during their time. Is it because they aren't getting ported over to the US or what?

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »

I thought the N64 would be an RPG badass because it was the successor to the NES and SNES, both RPG workhorses during their time...

no.

The PS3 has quite a few pitfalls that make it less than ideal for RPG (and game manufacturers) to develop for. Price, market share, and architectural complexity have caused many developers to move to other systems. Developers are not particularly loyal to one console manufacturer or another. They go where the money is. If there's a large gap in the market share between one console to another, it's more worth their while to head to whoever's selling the most units. The 360 sells a lot better than the PS3 in the US, but the one that has really caught everyone's attention is the DS, which is why the DS is getting so much RPG love.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:05:29 PM »

But isn't the PS3 more successful in Japan than the 360?

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »

I would say the cost of development in this generation is the biggest factor.  RPGs don't really sell all that well compared to shooters and such.  I mean, how many RPGs have sold a million plus that isn't named Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts?  And Dragon Quest if you're in Japan, no offense DQ8 lovers, but no one liked it enough to buy the remakes on ds.  The point is that it's hard to break even to develop an RPG nowadays so there are few of it and the ones that do get the green light, those cheques from Microsoft makes the platform decision easier.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »

I think it's simply because the 360 took off so fast. Most deverlopers will look at how many PS3's are out there and how many 360's and will develop for whatever has the biggest install base. Of course, this would mean the Wii would have a ton of RPG's and it doesn't. But I attribute that fact to Wii developers cashing in on kiddy games and worrying too much about developing games using the motion controls.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

I never said anything about the 360. The DS is where a lot of things are going, and the PSP. The 360 gets a lot of the larger RPGs that sell well in the US. Many smaller developers are staying with the PS2, though. But frankly, the PS3 is a bit of a dead zone because of its low market share, everywhere. In Japan, the 4 best selling consoles are the DS, the Wii, the PSP, and the PS2. Since the Wii seems to have lost its hardcore demographic pretty drastically (although that may change), that leaves the DS, the PSP, and the PS2, which is where you see a majority of RPGs going these days. Games big enough to do well in the states head for the 360, which, btw, is doing much better in Japan than its predicessor.

Weird thing is, many hardcore gamers still own Wiis, even if they aren't being given a chance to use them. What baffles me is that this seems like the perfet time for a company to release a good solid RPG on the Wii, because millions of hardcore Wii owners will jump at it, just for a chance to use the console again. There's some seriously weird things going on within the Wii developer crowd that just don't add up. I don't think it's neccessarilly Nintendo's fault (although they haven't been doing anything to fix this gap), but for some reason, many developers are just scared of the Wii, and I'm not sure why.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:26:29 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »

Worldwide there are four platforms with a (much) larger installed base: DS, PSP, Wii and the 360. Even if you only look at the Japanese market, PlayStation 3 is only No.4 (behind the DS, PSP and Wii) and developing games for the three other platforms is more cost-effective. Hence, as an RPG developer/publisher it makes more sense to develop for the other three platforms. Even if your game bombs on the Wii, the comparatively low development costs won't hurt you as much as an unscuccessful PS3 project would. Also, you could always try to port your Wii game over to PS2 or PSP.

Now, PlayStation 3 sales in Japan have shown signs of improvement during the last couple of months. RPG-wise things have improved a little bit, too, but not much yet. At least Japan should get a few more RPGs (Rorona Atelier, Agarest Senki Zero, Trinity Universe, Last Rebellion, belated ports of Tales of Vesperia and Last Remnant as well as the multiplatform title End of Infinity), before Final Fantasy XIII ships.

However, the next main series installments of Dragon Quest and Tales are already set to appear on the DS (Dragon Quest IX) or Wii (Dragon Quest X, Tales of Graces). Hudson's president told the Japanese press last year that he had no intention to develop anything but PSN games for PlayStation 3, because he considered the risk too high, read no new Tengai Makyou (Far East of Eden) either. Bandai Namco has sold Monolith Soft to Big N, hence a PlayStation 3-based Xenosaga game is very unlikely, too. Parasite Eve 3 is coming to PSP and cellphones. And nobody knows what has become of the handful of PlayStation 3 RPGs announced years back, e.g. the new Shin Megami Tensei and Super Robot Taisen games or that untitled game from Konami.

Is there anything left for PlayStation 3? Sure. New main series installments of many high profile series, such as Persona, Suikoden, Sakura Taisen and Phantasy Star have not been announced for any platform yet, so you can hope that one or the other will find its way to PlayStation 3, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:02:54 PM by Professor Gast » Logged
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »

I dunno, Persona and Suikoden could very well make their way to the next generation via the Wii, especially Suikoden. Both prior installments were fairly low-tech PS2 games that would look completely next generation (by comparison) if they came over to the Wii. Wii has far larger of an install base in Japan than the PS3. Even the last Suikoden Game was released for the DS, so at least they're not adverse to Nintendo. Atlus, on the other hand, has never seemed to be interested in Nintendo, but then again, they've never really had a reason to be, either, so it's definitely not impossible.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

Less of a failure would be a more apt description.  Neither system is doing well in Japan.  Worldwide, the 360 leads the PS3 by a fair margin & that gap has been increasing ever since the 360's last price drop.

Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »

I need a system that has a lot of RPGs. I've played almost every RPG on the 360 and the DS's screen is way too small for me to even enjoy.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »

Then you're stuck.  DS and PSP are where all the RPG's are going, because that's where the marketshare is.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of seeing this every 2 seconds on the internet.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »

Well, the 360 isn't too bad, and I would say is probably equal to the DS in terms of amount of jRPGs.

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata (also on PS3)
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Star Ocean 4
...with more on the way.

Definitely a whole lot more than the PS3. Actually, probably more than the DS, in terms of lengthy story-centric RPGs (DS RPGs tend to be more dungeon crawlers). So I'd say the 360 is definitely your best bet this generation.

I was a total anti-microsoft freak last generation, but the 360 has been a really pleasant surprise this time around. Don't let the fact that it's american and made by microsoft sway you, it's a damn good system that's getting a lot of attention from over-seas developers.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »

Then you're stuck.  DS and PSP are where all the RPG's are going, because that's where the marketshare is.

I don't like the direction because I'd rather the technologically superior systems had the games I wanted to play, but on the other hand it's kind of silly to pass up on a system just because of a tiny inconvenience like screen size. 

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

I just hope the PS3 picks up in JRPGs a year from now... I plan on owning one Next May. Hopefully?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: