Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:57:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?  (Read 20505 times)
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »

I'd rather play an old school style RPG like Nostalgia or Sands of Time than something like Star Ocean 4.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »

I'd rather play an old school style RPG like Nostalgia or Sands of Time than something like Star Ocean 4.

Ummm...

Anyways! Some other things to keep in mind: It has taken longer for RPGs to kick off on consoles than other genres, and the lack of a clear cut winner means they're no longer concentrated in one place. Honestly, this generation's much better for RPGs across multiple platforms than prior ones word, only PS1 vs Saturn was similar, and most of the Saturn's remained in Japan anyway.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »

I think he meant Sands of Destruction...

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:09:48 PM »

Eusis pretty much nailed it.  We need to remember that RPG's are a niche genre; and aside from the huge names like FF and DQ, have a hard time making any money.  And with the required budgets for games on the systems like PS3 and 360 getting larger and larger and larger, it's not safe to invest money in making a game on the system that uses all the horsepower in there because there's no way in hell they'll make the money back.  With systems like the DS that have HUGE install bases(especially in Japan, I mean shit there are fucking schools that are requiring children to have a DS because they're using DS flash carts full of info instead of textbooks), you have the kind of marketshare that JRPG's require.

Until we have a situation where one system is clearly ahead of the other and you have the kind of user pool that the DS and PS2 have, you won't get many RPG's on the system, and the ones you do get will be like Disgaea 3, where they look like PS2 games.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of seeing this every 2 seconds on the internet.

Quoted for truth.  Isn't there already an identical topic to this on the first or second page?

Yes there is one, by the SAME GUY nonetheless
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:11:50 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Wolfrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »

It is starting to even out though. The PS3 has been doing better in the last year or so than it has been and you're starting to see more multiplatform RPGs (Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia in particular) that were 360 exclusives first and then moved over to the PS3. Then you have games like Mass Effect 2 moving multiplatform and the PS3 beginning to pick up a couple of in development MMOs.

I don't think the PS3 will ever be dominant in the way the PS1 and PS2 were but I think you'll find the genres eventually even out on both consoles. I don't even think Mystwalker will keep it's 360 exclusivity much longer. Developing for one or the other seems a bit nonsensical when they're both fairly competitive and winning in different markets. I think we'll end up seeing the majority of RPGs end up as platform agnostic. It's really not overly difficult to port them cross platform and hedging your bets in two different markets while increasing the overall potential customer base is a smart business decision.

"I played poker with tarot cards the other night. I got a full house and four people died."
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »

We need to remember that RPG's are a niche genre;

People say that, but I don't think it's true.  Millions upon millions of people subscribe to various online RPGs.  Big Western RPGs like Fallout 3 & Mass Effect sell millions of copies in the West while big Eastern RPGs sell millions of copies in the East.

Individual RPGs might be niche, but the genre itself isn't, at least, not anymore than any other major gaming genre.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »

Then you're stuck.  DS and PSP are where all the RPG's are going, because that's where the marketshare is.

I don't like the direction because I'd rather the technologically superior systems had the games I wanted to play, but on the other hand it's kind of silly to pass up on a system just because of a tiny inconvenience like screen size. 

The funny thing is, being "technologically superior" doesn't equal quality games. Sure, the games will look good and what not, but what's the point if they don't play well or are just a bore? The irony about the current generation of consoles is that the handhelds are getting many games that their big brothers aren't getting, unless it is by downloadable content. It's great that technology has evolved so much, but that has made the process of making games more risky in terms of economics. Playing it "safe" and releasing games that are going to sell well is now, more than ever, the most obvious road for many companies, too bad that a little something called "creativity" is getting sacrificed in the process.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 11:41:36 PM »

That makes sense and all, but it's not really meshing with what I'm seeing.  Most RPGs on the DS have been falling under two main categories: remakes (FF4, Chrono Trigger, DQ4-6) & retro throwbacks (Etrian Odyssey 1-2, Dark Spire, Izuna 1-2, Shiren the Wanderer, Retro Game Challenge) with not much in the way of new and original content.  There's the rare and delightful exception like TWEWY, but for the most part, I'm not seeing a whole lot of originality when it comes to RPGs on the DS despite the lowered production cost.

Then again, originality is really overrated.  I'll take a highly polished traditional game over a messy, but highly original game any day.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:36 PM »

I don't even think Mystwalker will keep it's 360 exclusivity much longer.

They've made more games for the DS than for the 360. Having said that though, the company was created with financial backing from Microsoft. I'd be surprised if they started making games for either of the playstation consoles (at least, for this gen anyway).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:14:51 AM by AJR » Logged

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 03:37:40 AM »

I think he meant Sands of Destruction...

Honestly, I suspected as much. I just thought the effect would be diminished if I put that there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:26:35 AM by Eusis » Logged
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:30 AM »

That makes sense and all, but it's not really meshing with what I'm seeing.  Most RPGs on the DS have been falling under two main categories: remakes (FF4, Chrono Trigger, DQ4-6) & retro throwbacks (Etrian Odyssey 1-2, Dark Spire, Izuna 1-2, Shiren the Wanderer, Retro Game Challenge) with not much in the way of new and original content.  There's the rare and delightful exception like TWEWY, but for the most part, I'm not seeing a whole lot of originality when it comes to RPGs on the DS despite the lowered production cost.

Then again, originality is really overrated.  I'll take a highly polished traditional game over a messy, but highly original game any day.

True, and yet further proof of how lackluster this generation has been. But again, just see what happen to TWEWY, it sold quite poorly, while remakes and ports of older games sell much better. In that sense, you can't blame companies for taking the safe route.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 05:29:53 AM »

I've brought this up more than a few times, but just what constitutes terrible? I don't think we can really know without insider knowledge, we just see that the sales aren't as high as some other games, notably blockbusters, and automatically assume they're terrible sales. Even if they're actually a surprise hit or  made a shocking profit, Disgaea must've been reprinted 5 times yet it probably only barely broke 100,000.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 06:11:24 AM »

I believe TWEWY sold over 250000 copies world wide. That's pretty darn good for a portable title.

And I still maintain that this gen has been my favourite gen so far.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »

I hope the good people at ATLUS don't force me to buy a wii, I have absolutely no interest in that machine.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 08:05:28 AM »

Then you have games like Mass Effect 2 moving multiplatform...

ME2 isn't coming to the PS3, or at least not any time soon. By multiplatform they mean that there isn't going to be a huge gap between the 360 and PC releases this time around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: