Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327204 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?  (Read 19997 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:18 AM »

This is off topic but I finished Jeanne D'Arc yesterday and I'm speechless. I picked it up with no expectations and now I can't even describe how much I loved it. This game deserves to reach a wider audience. Wii, PS2, DS, whatever.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »

The solution has been to multiplatform titles, particularly if they're going to be sold overseas.  Sadly that still leaves a good number of RPGs stuck on a single system.  My biggest grief at the moment is that the Xbox 360 seems to be dominant in terms of overall RPGs at the moment (I don't count handhelds), it seems like the niche jRPGs I'm fond of are gravitating towards the PS3 (I'm looking at you NIS).  But perhaps of most concern to me is that the install base gap may serve as a barrier to keep us from seeing these niches game over here at all--from the company's point of view, they'd have to port it from PS3 to Xbox 360 for it to be worth localizing.

You could always learn Japanese and import games if the niche games are that important.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »

You could always learn Japanese and import games if the niche games are that important.

That's pretty much what I'm doing.  As I still need the assistance of a machine translator (and that's probably not going to change anytime soon), I'm limited to PC games however.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »

Don't forget XNA Community Games.  In a year or two, I daresay there'll be lots of small indie RPGs on the 360.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »

This is off topic but I finished Jeanne D'Arc yesterday and I'm speechless. I picked it up with no expectations and now I can't even describe how much I loved it. This game deserves to reach a wider audience. Wii, PS2, DS, whatever.

More like it's a great reason to pick up a PSP.  Console exclusivity is one of the reasons why the PSP isn't that hot on the list right now.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Xaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »

Don't forget XNA Community Games.  In a year or two, I daresay there'll be lots of small indie RPGs on the 360.

But if they're the same quality as the community games on right now then I wouldn't exactly bother with them. :/
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »

But if they're the same quality as the community games on right now then I wouldn't exactly bother with them. :/

There are some really good Community Games already amidst the dross: Halfbrick Echoes, Hexothermic, Solar, Miner Dig Deep, Biology Battle, Carneyvale Showtime, and Weapon of Choice just to name a few.  Likewise, I expect most Community Game RPGs to be weak, but a few of them to be really good.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

I think people are putting way too many eggs in Heavy Rain's basket.  People seem to be expecting it to be some kind of super phenomenal game, when we've seen literally ONE trailer which may or may not even have anything to do with the game.

No, I think people are expecting that they learned from their mistakes with Heavy Rain (IE a bugfuck insane plot twist) and are going to produce a better game having learned what not to do.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
placeboblack

UrmnafVolte
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »

Actually, I just noticed that all of my games on the ps3 except for one (Eternal Sonata) are non RPGs.  It's like my body subconsciously has been keeping me occupied from noticing the drought of ps3 RPGs with the classics of the past generations.  Now im sad...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »

The only PS3 RPG I have is Valkyria Chronicles since I bought Fallout 3 for 360.

DQ5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2009, 01:49:32 AM »

Its picking up rather fast Cross Edge just Released and you have Demon's Souls, Last Rebellion, and White Knight which are scheduled to hit the states this year or early next year but i still believe WK will be out sometime in Nov. As for 360 we have not seen alot of RPG news from them this year i believe the only RPG they have for 2009 is Magna Carta and Star Ocean as Mass Effect will more than likely be next year.

Anyway below is a link to every PS3/360 RPG that has been released or will  be released.

http://board.rpgamer.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=19354
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:13:46 AM by DQ5 » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:01 AM »

Whoa, I had no idea they were making Steambot Chronicles 2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
DQ5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »

yea it took me quite some time to complete that list but i just got tired of not being able to find a complete list of PS3 or 360 RPG's.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:15:52 AM by DQ5 » Logged
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »

I have a question and a bit of off topic.

Is the PS3 starting to get better games nowadays?

Just confirming to be sure. :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »

Yeah, but they're mainly first and second party games.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: