Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334757 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Why (almost) no PS3 RPGs?  (Read 20463 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »

I have a question and a bit of off topic.

Is the PS3 starting to get better games nowadays?

Just confirming to be sure. :P

Well, there seem to be a lot of good games on the horizon, even if you only consider exclusives. God of war 3, heavy rain, uncharted 2...
I think that the PS3 is becoming attractive because some of the best games like MGS4 and uncharted are at very low prices right now. If you buy the console now you will have some AAA titles at very good prices. The high price of new releases really turns me off but knowing that if I buy the machine I'll have 2 of the best games on the system available at such a low price is very tempting.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2009, 11:14:12 PM »

Ayt thanks!

I feel bad for the PS3 because it will always be last place in the new-gen system. Will it be always last place even if FFXIII (and probably Versus) are going to be released?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »

I think that the PS3 is becoming attractive because some of the best games like MGS4 and uncharted are at very low prices right now.

Actually, one of the sticking points to me is how they seem reluctant to drop the price on that in America, despite being nearly two years old and newer games like MGS4 being price dropped and thrown on the Greatest Hits. And that it's a Platinum hit in Europe. What the hell SCEA?
DQ5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:27 PM »

Well RPG wise the most recently announced Trinity Zill O'll, Demons Souls, Last Rebellion, and White Knight have all been confirmed for a US release for 2009 with White Knight being the only exception right now. Ultimately I do not see the PS3 remaining last for much longer if it can continue to pump out games like this,

Also I will point out that the Pre E3 announcements show the new Front Mission game for PS3, 360, and PC.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2009, 11:45:42 PM »

Ultimately I do not see the PS3 remaining last for much longer if it can continue to pump out games like this,

In which way? It's never going to reclaim market leadership from the Wii, and I don't see it overthrowing the 360 at this point either. Quality though, at the least it won't be lagging behind the 360, and it's in second place anyway thanks to Valkyria Chronicles backed up by some fantastic multiplatform titles. The Wii probably gets more crap than it fairly deserves in regards to its RPG lineup and is improving by a lot, but nothing it has is on the same level as something like Valkyria Chronicles or Fallout 3 unless you start digging into the Virtual Console library, and even that isn't enough right now.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:30 AM »

Ultimately I do not see the PS3 remaining last for much longer if it can continue to pump out games like this,

In which way? It's never going to reclaim market leadership from the Wii, and I don't see it overthrowing the 360 at this point either. Quality though, at the least it won't be lagging behind the 360, and it's in second place anyway thanks to Valkyria Chronicles backed up by some fantastic multiplatform titles. The Wii probably gets more crap than it fairly deserves in regards to its RPG lineup and is improving by a lot, but nothing it has is on the same level as something like Valkyria Chronicles or Fallout 3 unless you start digging into the Virtual Console library, and even that isn't enough right now.

At least the Wii has a Virtual Console right now.

At any rate its still too early for RPGs to start flowing into system libraries like cheap fine wine.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 01:48:59 AM »

At any rate its still too early for RPGs to start flowing into system libraries like cheap fine wine.

That or similar has been said for years, but it's no longer really applicable. Maybe everyone's being thrown off by just how late FFXIII is arriving compared to every other generation, but if you look at this point in the lives of most other consoles they were either starting to or had a very respectable lineup. In fact, we had quite a few last fall and it looks like even more will launch within the next year, then there's the DS. Modern production does slow things down, and I think there's been a decline in interest for JRPGs that lessens that part of the equation, but the time really is here.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »

Well RPG wise the most recently announced Trinity Zill O'll, Demons Souls, Last Rebellion, and White Knight have all been confirmed for a US release for 2009 with White Knight being the only exception right now. Ultimately I do not see the PS3 remaining last for much longer if it can continue to pump out games like this,

Also I will point out that the Pre E3 announcements show the new Front Mission game for PS3, 360, and PC.

Demon's Souls can only -barely- be classified as an RPG, and White Knight Chronicles sucks.  So take that as you will.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »

White Knight Chronicles sucks.  So take that as you will.

Did it really suck? The game was very hyped though (I check Gamespot forums) along with Demon's Soul.
I kinda got this feeling it will be a bland game though.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

DQ5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »

Demon's Souls can only -barely- be classified as an RPG, and White Knight Chronicles sucks.  So take that as you will.
[/quote]

I take it you've never played either one of them as it is your way to bash games you've never played. As for myself i've played both WKC and Demons Souls and i can tell you Demon's Souls is not barely an RPG it is an RPG and as for WKC its not Level 5's best work but it by no means sucked as you say.

Of course I have a feeling I know what your reply will be so i've no more interest in speaking with someone who knows nothing about RPG's because you obviously don't play them. Anyway, i'm giving you the last word because you also seem to be the type that needs have the last word as well so enjoy :).
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »

I take it you've never played either one of them as it is your way to bash games you've never played.

I fail to see how me having a single educated opinion on a totally unrelated game has anything to do with my opinions on these games.

I've played Demon's Souls too.  It's not an RPG.  It's an action game with RPG elements.  It's no more an RPG than Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

And I've seen footage and read reviews of White Knight Chronicle; all the footage looked terrible and every single review said it was insufferably bad.  I guess I need to point out once again that just because you liked it doesn't mean it's a good game.  I liked Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but you don't see me parading around saying it's the best game ever.
DQ5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »

I've played Demon's Souls too.  It's not an RPG.

I must apologise as you have played Demon's Souls but its rather clear we don't see eye to eye on everything. As for WKC I was in no way saying its the best game ever i was just pointing out it did not suck and i'm not sure what reviews you were reading but the average score for WKC is 7 to 8's form what i've seen.

Anyway way I say we put this whole thing behind us and try to be friends.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »

Did it really suck? The game was very hyped though (I check Gamespot forums) along with Demon's Soul.

Hype doesn't equate quality, or at least guaranteed enjoyment.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

Anyway way I say we put this whole thing behind us and try to be friends.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: