Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 08:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329320 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mass Effect 2 pre-E3 teaser.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 2 pre-E3 teaser.  (Read 3442 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »

Direct feed: http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/masseffect2/teaser/videos/download/mass_effect_2_prelude_e3_720p_5000.mov

Day one purchase.  Collector's Edition again, if they do one.  The Mass Effect IP is just oozing with so much potential, and I expect great things with the sequel.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »

Well damn, that definitely got me excited, and I hardly ever bite this sort of bait.

Basically, more action + less Mako = awesomeness.  That's all they have to do.  :P

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »

Man this game is going to be amazing. Screw everything else.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »

Oh hell yes. Can't wait for E3 to roll around. This'll probably be my favorite game shown at E3.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:25:03 PM »

Wonderful teaser, I hope the wait won't be too long. I'm very much interested in seeing how some of the decisions, (especially the two key ones at the end) will affect the 2nd's story. I love it in games when it show's how my decisions affected the world and the people around my main character.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 01:12:37 AM »

Boy, I'm really not sure. I just can't put my finger on why I didn't enjoy ME as much as everyone else... but I'd have to say that the atmosphere just wasn't quite right. I heard them mostly talking up the action, which I thought was one of the stronger elements in ME1. I also thought that the color palette in the original game was too dark... now it sounds like they're making it even darker!!! However, the footage they showed in the background was stunning and somehow felt a lot more vivid than I remember the first game being.

Whatever the case, I just hope to GOD that they fire the graphic designer who designed the menu system. Worst menu system EVER! It looked terrible, it was clunky to use, illogical, everything about it sucked.

I'll probably give it a shot when it comes out, but we'll just have to see.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 02:02:50 AM »

Mmm.. I just made by BioWare appointment for the show.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Justice

wing_hart@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »

I'm thinking about playing the first Mass Effect , can you tell me the best/worst things about it?
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »

However, the footage they showed in the background was stunning and somehow felt a lot more vivid than I remember the first game being.
The largest reason is that they're clearly using the latest version of Unreal Engine 3.  The lighting difference between Gears of War and Gears of War 2 was also very blatant, with the overall presentation being substantially more vivid.  Gears of War 2 had a much better framerate than the original as well, fading textures in as they loaded rather than making them pop in, and does an overall better job of streaming data.

I think all of this combined with Bioware taking lessons learned from the first game seriously, should lead to a much better game.  Mass Effect was ambitious as hell, and is by far my favorite IP of this console generation.

I'm thinking about playing the first Mass Effect , can you tell me the best/worst things about it?
The best things are the voice acting and story provided by the game.  It's ahead of the curve compared to every other RPG out this console generation.  The runner up is Fallout 3, but its voice acting and conversation systems don't even remotely compare.  Things start off slow when you get on the citadel, as some folks don't like the massive amounts of conversations and side quests that are available there (you can spend several hours not leaving the station if you choose to check everything, and I loved it), but things really pick up if you stick to the main story star systems, which are blatantly highlighted for you on the galaxy map.  The final three hours of the game are epic as hell.  If you love sci-fi TV shows and movies, you will love this game.  The conversation system as I mentioned earlier, lets you control how your character responds and acts, but unlike other games where you have to read every single option, the flow continues smoothly because of the conversation circle they've designed where you can quickly make choices.  You'll understand what I mean when you play the game.

The worst things are primarily the early Unreal Engine 3 issues and most 3rd party developers' unfamiliarity with it... massive texture pop-in and issues streaming data.  Much of this can be addressed by installing the game on your hard drive, but there's still fragments of it present.  There's also just a handful of core dungeon designs that are recycled for the optional side quests, similar to Fallout 3's recycling of various core layouts with strategic placement of obstacles and items in an effort to try to make it seem like they're different.  The side quest content is fairly weak, but then, these are side quests and very much can be ignored as all the unique designs and such are in the main storyline locales.  The equipment menu design is also pretty lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the music in this game is fantastic.  Forgot to mention that.  Two examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWPxdic85Gk&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1nSbnPLvPA&fmt=18
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:18:43 AM by Parn » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »

there are a couple more cons I'd like to point out:

- Terrible graphic design: all of the menus and 2G graphics in the game are clunky to navigate and ugly as hell. They used huge non-essential neon emblems and graphical toys, and didn't leave much room for content. This means that when you're choosing weapons or reading computer entries, you will have to scroll A LOT. Probably one of the worst uses of screen-realestate I've ever seen, which is really aggravating when you're comparing weapons and equipment to buy/sell/use.

- gimped character classes. I don't mind a game that allows me to choose my own character class, but some of the classes they have are really impossible to use. I chose to play a sniper, because I always love finding high places to hide and pick off characters from. Turns out, there are really hardly any places to snipe from, the sniper rifle is ridiculously underpowered, and the AI usually can tell exactly where you are. This made the game incredibly discouraging. Where-as, my friends were playing bruisers with shotguns, and they were just mowing everyone down. I might have enjoyed the game a lot better if I had known that the sniper was not a good choice.

- Lots of monotonous landscapes and repeatative structures: the game has a large number of locales, but few of them are particularly flushed out. Even the main story ones are commonly a lot of the same terrain over and over again. Many of the buildings are all identical inside too.

All in all, I applaud BioWare for their endeavor, Mass Effect was a really an extraordinary feat, but it had some major holes in it as well, that, for me, really curbed my enjoyment of the game. BioWare aren't gods, they can do wrong at times.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

If you play the PC version of the game, the issues with the menu systems disappear, they really are far easier to navigate in that version of the game.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

BioWare aren't gods, they can do wrong at times.

I won't lie, that applies to them more than most developers out there, much more. But usually what they do right is so good it outweighs the glaring technical flaws.
Justice

wing_hart@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »

If you love sci-fi TV shows and movies, you will love this game
I do love sci fi shows actually , so I guess I'll love the story of the game
so i guess there are technical issues with the game? i guess I can live with that

the problem is that I don't play western RPGs , after I finish Jeanne D'Arc I'll buy mass effect along with fallout 3 AFTER I finish Oblivion (which i will play after Jeanne) , just to make sure that western RPGs are my "thing"
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »

Mass Effect isn't really anything like Oblivion. If it turns out that you don't like Oblivion you should still give Mass Effect a chance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:49:44 PM by DPB » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »

I'd recommend Mass Effect before Fallout 3 too. Fallout 3 is similar enough to Obliviont hat it doesn't give you a broader view of what's out there.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: