Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Aion discussion plus Q&A
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Aion discussion plus Q&A  (Read 30572 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »

Ok gang, the import review of Aion is live as well as the OST review and media gallery. Please post your thoughts and any questions you might have and we will do our best to answer them.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »

The music of the game is pretty Ace. I went by the composer's myspace and checked two of the tracks from the MMORPG. I'll definitely pick up the soundtrack if I can find it, which I more than likely will.

I got a kick out of that flying piano on his myspace. :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »

Regarding the soundtrack:

According to vgmdb, there is a free TWO DISC digital-only release of the OST (that's bigger than the promotional, must-pay-for-this CD that I reviewed).

http://vgmdb.net/album/6667

I haven't found out where to download it yet, however. If you like the music, that's definitely worth finding out about.

I have plenty of questions about the game, some of which I hope to answer in my own gaming experiences. But I suppose I'd start by asking: what can/should/will be done to "fix" the problem of poorly detailed environments? The character designs are so freaking brilliant, it'd be a shame to leave many of the locales looking drab and uninspired. I think this was a key point in the review.

Ramza

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:04:16 AM »

I found one with "CD 1" only, but the bit rate is 128. Found a second link that had all 21 songs, but reached my limit on downloading. Lame.

Already listen to a couple of them and love it thus far. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:28:58 AM »

Here a link to some pics of the obtainable armors and weapons in the game.

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/images-art-video-sound/14701-items-you-will-probably-never-get-ingame.html

Here's how my current character looks ^_^

The armor is all critical crafted. The cool thing about the game is that when you critically craft equipment (armor and weapons) not only are the stats better, you have more manastone slots (like WoW gem slots) and the items themselves get a new skin entirely.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:00:41 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »

But I suppose I'd start by asking: what can/should/will be done to "fix" the problem of poorly detailed environments? The character designs are so freaking brilliant, it'd be a shame to leave many of the locales looking drab and uninspired. I think this was a key point in the review.

There's not much they can do about that until they release new areas to the game. Thankfully the world graphics do get better (particularly on the Elyos side) but they never get as good as the character models. You'd need Unreal Engine 3 for that or Crytek 2. Its respectable, just noticable.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »

Sort of interested in the game.  Been keeping track of things going on and I keep hearing two overly negative things: big class imbalances and lots and lots of bots.  Hopefully they fix some of the major issues so it doesn't turn out to be like Lineage 2.  The game has been in development for 3-ish years, so hopefully they realize they have enough invested into it to try and fix the problems before the game is released in the US.  If it's not a well polished game at release, I wonder how many will stick it out and how many will go back to WoW.

If you're already playing, be thankful if you're on a closed server where bots cannot make new characters =P. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:06:55 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »

Well the word is that the NA/EU release will be version 1.2 or higher (Korea is at 1.2 corrently) which addresses some of the major issues, but even playing ver. 1.0 its a very polished product. I can't really comment on the bots because I haven't seen any, but they seem to be a major problem on some of the other servers.
NekoPanzer
Armored Cat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:28:13 AM »

I noticed something in the review. How is Aion a WoW clone at all? I've played WoW, along with other MMOs, and I haven't seen anything that made me think of WoW.

If you are referring to the UI, action bars, chat linking, or manastone socketing... those aren't original to WoW. Everquest had all of that before WoW came out. In fact, I'd say Aion reminds me more of EQ and Lineage 2 than anything. The crafting and gathering system seems very similar to EQ2. I wouldn't say WoW is original, or many other MMOs for that matter. Even EQ got a lot of its design from Ultima Online before it.

It seems to me most people try to compare other MMOs to WoW, even when those MMOs were released earlier. I'm guessing it's because they haven't experienced much else. It's funny, because when I first played WoW 5 year ago, the first thing I said was "This looks like an cartoony EQ ripoff."

Maybe I'm missing something? What else in Aion is supposedly so similar to WoW?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »

While the game does look nice, the art style doesn't really appeal to me, personally. There's something about the armor that just looks really silly to me- there's so much needless detail that it makes it look really grotesque. Now, odd, I can deal with, I like things that look weird sometimes, but I think the pictures I'm seeing here are way overboard.

Anyway, this is just one man's opinion of course.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »

I was referring more to the questing system as being very similar to WoW but you make a valid point. I only got to play EQ in passing, so I can't really comment too much on the similarities but I don't doubt it. You do make a good point in that there's almost nothing sacred in the genre. Most of the ideas in every MMO gets lifted from something else.  I think most people are familiar with WoW, so its much easier to relate the concepts to them by using that example. That was my first impression of the game, so that's what I wrote, and i'm sure many folks will have the same impression.

Hathen, i'm sorry you dont find the armors appealing, though remember the skins are very different on the Elyos side. The Asmodean gear all looks semi-demonic while the Elyos equivalent stuff is straight medieval/high fantasy. Compared to some of the Tier armor I've seen in WoW I think I prefer Aion's designs better. I'll take rediculous amounts of detail over obscenely cartoony overdone shoulderpads etc. Aion's are very detailed, but I don't think they are anywhere near over the top as some of the power ranger crap in WoW.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

While NCSoft is waiting till next week to make the announcement, looks like GameStop already has its Aion: Collector's Edition available for pre-order here : http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74885 and man is it a doozy! Early access to the game and access to the beta plus a shitload of other goodies. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »

I hope the Item is really called GameStop Ancient Ring of Fire.

I'm actually going to preorder this... this hasn't happened... ever? :)

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »

Pictures of the boxed set are up on Aionsource here: http://www.aionsource.com/ and man is it pretty.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 11:25:14 PM »

It's worth it for the soundtrack alone. Methinks I will preorder.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: