Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334508 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXI: Chocobo Raising
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: FFXI: Chocobo Raising  (Read 3354 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:12:25 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1299.html

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »

Instead of making the game a little easier to get Experience points, they just created some shit to keep you occupied while you are looking for an exp party. :P

Anyway, it actually sounds cool, but I guess this means the chocobo stables will be lagged to hell in Jeuno, and you can't ride your choco until 3 months later. Ah well.

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »

Quote from: "Dio"
Instead of making the game a little easier to get Experience points, they just created some shit to keep you occupied while you are looking for an exp party. :P

Anyway, it actually sounds cool, but I guess this means the chocobo stables will be lagged to hell in Jeuno, and you can't ride your choco until 3 months later. Ah well.

its easy enough already . you can solo with your npc theres rings thats boost exp gain,heck you could even sub corsair for enhances exp dice roll.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:50:09 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
its easy enough already . you can solo with your npc theres rings thats boost exp gain,heck you could even sub corsair for enhances exp dice roll.

If you have to spend tons of money getting silent oils and prism powders to sneak passed mobs that read as "Easy Prey", then it's not easy.

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 09:12:16 PM »

Quote from: "Dio"

If you have to spend tons of money getting silent oils and prism powders to sneak passed mobs that read as "Easy Prey", then it's not easy.

you seem bitter lol? out of curiosity what was your main job? ive seen a few drks quit because they suck in endgame exp.

Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »

you seem bitter lol? out of curiosity what was your main job? ive seen a few drks quit because they suck in endgame exp.

Bitter...? Not anymore. Hah! My main was 75 PLD. I had a bunch of other jobs, but it was always the same issues... no RDM or BRD, no exp, apparently. Sure, it takes a day to get one level through major exp grind when you're passed lvl 40, but after 2 years of doing that, I realize it was crazy to think that was fun. I could go on and on about FFXI, but I think what I already said earlier pretty much sums it up.

The chocobo thing is real cool, but I think it's SE's way of giving you something to do while you're looking for a group. :P

If you can make a gold chocobo that can run twice as fast as a regular one, that would be sweet (I would say it should run on water, but you'd have to be able to jump in the water before doing anything else in it). Haha!

Infinite.Bit Radio
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 08:27:56 AM »

Let's not forget the most important facet, is the fact that this "minigame" does not equate to giving the player a form of convenient transportation ( something that has been a standard in almsot every other MMO on the market). Instead, it's yet another distraction  to create yet another distraction (racing) in a game comprised of distractions - having lost player direction and "fun" since the release of Chains of Promathia.

Aht Urghan is a promising new expansion, but SE's habitual release of incomplete content in a retail package leaves much to be desired, especially after the year we had to wait to have CoP completed, and hated almost all of it.

Dio's right, most of us have grown up and expect alot more from the gameplay experience in the MMO market, and that's an arena FFXI has failed miserably to adapt to.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 01:58:27 AM »

Quote from: "Tenchi-no-Ryu"
Let's not forget the most important facet, is the fact that this "minigame" does not equate to giving the player a form of convenient transportation ( something that has been a standard in almsot every other MMO on the market). Instead, it's yet another distraction  to create yet another distraction (racing) in a game comprised of distractions - having lost player direction and "fun" since the release of Chains of Promathia.

Aht Urghan is a promising new expansion, but SE's habitual release of incomplete content in a retail package leaves much to be desired, especially after the year we had to wait to have CoP completed, and hated almost all of it.

Dio's right, most of us have grown up and expect alot more from the gameplay experience in the MMO market, and that's an arena FFXI has failed miserably to adapt to.

define conveinent. you have chocobo's ,airships,and outpost warps. Aht Urghan introduced a new town. Al Zhabi, surronded by exp camps that are literally 5 minutes away thanks to the warps used for assault. and these camps are better than any previous ones(2 minute respawns).i'm a monk and id rather go to these camps than king ranperres tomb. to top it off al zhabi has everthing you could ever need. every crafting guild is present,a jeuno linked AH,and theres even an npc that will warp you to jeuno for free. ask any current player and they will probally tell you ToAU is infinately better than CoP was. I've tried WOW and i cant put my finger on the reason but i hate that game. i just couldnt get into it. maybee its the art derection heh.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 09:51:20 AM »

1.  There's a total of 8 "missions" and they're all pretty much cutscenes.  You now can no longer progress any further in Aht Urhgan's story until the next version update.  That's what he's talking about regarding incomplete content in a retail package.

2.  Convenience in regards to mounts is pretty blatant.  You mention chocobos, but you can only access them in towns and crags.  You mention airships, but you have to wait 10 minutes if you just missed one.  You mention outpost warps, but you can only outpost warp to a spot from your hometown.  In other MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, you can ride your mount almost anytime you want.

I enjoy Final Fantasy XI still, but it has a lot of flaws that have never been addressed, and I hope that they address them in their next-gen MMORPG.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »

You mention outpost warps, but you can only outpost warp to a spot from your hometown.

Return and tavnazian rings are great ways around this and outpost you to your hometown in seconds. They're both limited(Return ring only in areas you control, tav will only work if beastmen don't control), but generally if I can't do one I can do the other. I do have to give SE credit with outposts and warp cudgels, getting around is a LOT easier then it used to be.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »

i also love my olduum ring. it can be used once a day and has infinate charges. it takes you to the the leypoint in thickets wich is a hop step and a skip away from aht urghan whitegate.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 06:09:21 PM »

All of which pales in comparison to the quick and convenient transportation options available in competing MMORPGs.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 07:00:49 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
All of which pales in comparison to the quick and convenient transportation options available in competing MMORPGs.

BUT PARN..FFXI ROXXORS AND IS THE BESTIST THERE EVAR WAS!!11111

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 12:50:03 AM »

Well this Chocobo thing seems like an old idea that SE just didn't really care to put in, until WoW gave them competition and one of the neat features there is the fact that eveyone can buy their own mounts. It's not the greatest feature in the world, but it is pretty convenient... especially when there are times when I remember having to pay over 1K in gil for a stupid chocobo ride. That's why I have a problem with SE and the way they're working this game. They only add features and differences when they see people are jumping ship to other MMORPG's.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy FFXI and I really do like the game for the content and certain features, but when you have a game where you need to rely on others to raise your level and play the waiting game, that seems like a very huge flaw and an big waist of time. There is no excuse or alternative feature anyone can sell me to hide the fact that if you want to want to get from lvl 30 to lvl 75, you need to build a party.

Personally, I find it funny that people say it is so easy to exp in WoW versus FFXI. If WoW had Level Cap quests, raised their lvl to 75, and had nothing but elite monsters to contend with, then I would be just as hard... Hell, getting to lvl 60 the second time around wasn't as hard, but getting from 60 to 75 was torture. lol :P

... But I'm not mad at SE. I know how business goes. It's all about making money, and the longer you stay in their game, they more money they'll make with the many months that pass. And that's why they'll never change their exp style. I'm just disappointed in them that they can't (or I should say "won't") bring my character back. :P

Infinite.Bit Radio
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »

As it turns out, you WILL be able to call your chocobo.

Calling Your Chocobo
Calling your chocobo will involve an enchant item, similar to the signal pearl or empress band. With the appropriate item equipped, you will be able to call your trusty mount at any time, in any area where chocobo riding is permitted.
We are planning on setting the enchant recast to a time period that won't adversely affect in-game balance. Rather than making it possible to recall your chocobo immediately after dismounting, it will be necessary to wait for a certain amount of time.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/538/detail.html
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: