Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:26:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318958 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 300th Virtual Console game has gone up: Majora's Mask
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The 300th Virtual Console game has gone up: Majora's Mask  (Read 7736 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »

I was kind of expecting this honestly after I saw someone point out how they could be holding this back for the occassion, and we didn't see it immediately after the European and Japanese release. So, who's going to grab this? I've been wanting to give it another shot since some minor bits had stuck out to me when I originally played, and I think I'd appreciate it more now after playing through the more recent Zeldas that have seemingly become afraid of breaking from tradition.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »

hmmm... I didn't see that one coming. Good stuff! I still need to play that one. But I won't buy it, my brother has the GameCube disc that has Zelda, Zelda II, OoT, and MM all on one disc.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »

I wonder if it still has the glitchy sound thing like the version on the Gamecube compendium?  It'd be worth the money for an audiophile like me just to dodge that shit. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »

I wonder if it still has the glitchy sound thing like the version on the Gamecube compendium?  It'd be worth the money for an audiophile like me just to dodge that shit. :P

I noticed a sound skip when you accessed the menus (but that was in the ports of OoT anyway), as well as the "Kooloo Limpah" sound bit breaking up a bit, but I didn't notice the slowdown I experienced in the town square on the GC version! Reception was pretty favorable with the European players too as far as I could see.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:54:59 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »

Most nerve wracking game ever.
Somewhere between the hand in a toilet, the moon, and the constant clock made the game...quite frankly, not fun.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »

We got this back in April.

When is Super Smash Bros. coming to VC outside Japan?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:48 AM »

Most nerve wracking game ever.
Somewhere between the hand in a toilet, the moon, and the constant clock made the game...quite frankly, not fun.

Bingo! I DO NOT like being under a time limit/time constraints. This game didn't work for me at all, although I can see why others may like it.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »

I'm a HUGE Zelda fan, but that time limit is the sole reason why I have not played the game to this day.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:06 AM »

This was the only Zelda game I actually hated. I'm not huge on Nintendo's franchises like most people are, but I've been able to enjoy each Zelda game a lot, except this one.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »

I'm a HUGE Zelda fan, but that time limit is the sole reason why I have not played the game to this day.

It's one thing to have played the game and decided the time limit wasn't their thing, it's another to have completely ignored the game. If you've got a Wii you may as well grab it now since $10 on something you don't like isn't a huge loss. Besides, you can slow down time and that often gives more than enough to accomplish something worth noting, and there's temporary saves at owl statues.

Honestly, my biggest beef was that it felt kinda cheap as a new game. Characters are recycled (this was probably part of the point here), the new Ocarina songs didn't go beyond that little bit you played like they did in OoT (probably just a result of the multiple instruments now), and there were only four dungeons (not the complete focus of the game anyway). Since I've had my full blown sequels to OoT since, I don't think those will be the sticking points they were.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:54:08 PM by Eusis » Logged
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »

I'm really looking forward to downloading this.  Majora's Mask is probably the only big Zelda game that I'm mostly unfamiliar with (I played it for about 45 minutes at a friend's house and that's it).  The whole time aspect sounds like it could be rather cool and set it apart from the other games in the series.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »

i'm suprised nintendo has yet to take the mask system further. since it was essentially like having multiple playable characters. twilight princess had a golden opportunity for this but you only get to use link and the dog.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »

A buddy of mine constantly bashes me for having not played this, so I don't really have any more excuses not to give this a try.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

It's one thing to have played the game and decided the time limit wasn't their thing, it's another to have completely ignored the game. If you've got a Wii you may as well grab it now since $10 on something you don't like isn't a huge loss. Besides, you can slow down time and that often gives more than enough time to accomplish something worth noting, and there's temporary saves at owl statues.

Honestly, my biggest beef was that it felt kinda cheap it felt as a new game. Characters are recycled (this was probably part of the point here), the new Ocarina songs didn't go beyond that little bit you played like they did in OoT (probably just a result of the multiple instruments now), and there were only four dungeons (not the complete focus of the game anyway). Since I've had my full blown sequels to OoT since, I don't think those will be the sticking points they were.

I have never, ever played a game with set time limits that I have liked. I am pretty sure it would be the same with this game, especialy since the reviews I read when it came out talked about the time limit being a pretty big blemish on the game. I like exploring, taking my time... it's why I like RPG's and graphic adventures so much. I don't like feeling like I'm being "pushed" through the game on the developer's time table.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »

That's the thing though, non-disposable items you acquire will remain, and shortcuts will open up that let you skip repeating too much. Plus it's not like Pikmin where you have a finite number of days to play the game PERIOD, you just have a limit until you have to return to Day 1. You said you were a huge Zelda fan, so I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice in not at least trying an installment over a single gameplay facet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: