Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327828 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 300th Virtual Console game has gone up: Majora's Mask
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The 300th Virtual Console game has gone up: Majora's Mask  (Read 7909 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »

Skimmed through, and I saw someone made a comment about the Mask System.
I'm inclined to agree it IS awesome.  Added a lot of fun and some depth.  Just everything else sucked.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and why the FUCK did that moon hafta look THAT scary? =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not so much that the game has a time limit as that it's like Groundhog Day where you repeat the same period of time over and over until you figure everything out and win the game.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »

You do repeat the same time period over and over, but it is because of that reason that you have to complete each particular quest within that time period because when it ends you go right back.  And everything you do during that time will have to be redone unless you completely and totally finish a section.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »

You do repeat the same time period over and over, but it is because of that reason that you have to complete each particular quest within that time period because when it ends you go right back.  And everything you do during that time will have to be redone unless you completely and totally finish a section.

This is somewhat situational. You'll get songs (or were they warp points?) that let you skip redoing large chunks all over again, and similarly the items you gain let you access shortcuts. Usually you'd have to clear a dungeon in a single day, but by the time you reach you can probably warp straight there then immediately start it with a full 3 days, and slowed down that gives you, I believe, a few hours. Then there's the items in the dungeon which would make reclearing the puzzles much easier. There's a few sidequests where I can see the time limit really being a pain, one notably that requires pretty much the entire 3 day period to complete and I think failing it made me stall out on the game (well, and getting completely lost in the fourth dungeon).

Edit: And looking at Wikipedia quickly, it says that 3 days lasts about an hour (54 minutes) normally. I believe slowing it down halves the progression, so that'd give you about 2 hours to play. Certainly you could accomplish something significant in that time period or reach a point you can easily warp to upon a new cycle.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:36:23 PM by Eusis » Logged
AztrohKitteh

Meow, I say!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:41 PM »

Sweet! I've been waiting for this, I never played it. Thanks! (My 6-year-old daughter thanks you too; we'll be playing it together tomorrow)
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »

Awesome news, I'll be picking up another points card to download this.  I was actually one of the few who enjoyed Majora's Mask over Ocarina of time.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:40 PM »

Awesome news, I'll be picking up another points card to download this.  I was actually one of the few who enjoyed Majora's Mask over Ocarina of time.

Those 'few' seem to be increasing in number actually, at the very list it's not that weird of a minority.

Anyways, I was waiting on other posts before I posted this write-up on Majora's Mask. It's pretty good on how it's one of the most mature games out there, despite not having more superficial elements typically considered 'mature'.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 10:44:56 PM »

Besides Twilight Princess, this is my favorite Zelda game... one of the most unique games ever made. The music, the feel, everything, is just very ODD. The dungeons are flat-out amazing. For those of you who complain that major game series are too conservative and don't really push the boundaries of what's considered "normal", Majora's Mask is definitely worth a spin. I love the weird feeling that you're partially in some kind of fucked up dream world, but also in the real world, at the same time. I personally loved the recycled characters, because it just added to the whole creepy alternate dimension feel.

For those of you worrying about the time limit, look up "backwards song of time" and you'll be JUST FINE! Trust me, I can't stand time limit games... I can't even do Katamari. But the time limit in MM is absolutely nothing to worry about if you play the song of time backwards, you have like three hours to go through each dungeon, and that's MORE than enough time, even with getting all the ferries.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »

I'll echo the praise for Majora's Mask. I was only 9 at the time it was released, but I was completely enthralled with it. I like Ocarina of Time, but I think only I liked the game at that age merely because I was supposed to like it, as it seemed taboo to decry it in any way. Don't get me wrong, the game's great, but Majora's Mask was definitely different; I played the game without any outside input affecting my impressionable youthful self and the appreciation I had for it felt deeper. I didn't know exactly what it was at the time, but I felt that stark difference between the two games as noted in the article posted, but at that age I couldn't fully explore the ideas in it, just enjoy the certain vague notions it was giving me. Initially, I was turned off by it, but I luckily gave the game multiple chances, and I was hooked later on. Plus, the last mask turns Link into that badass with that sweet sword:P. I'm definitely going to pick this up when I start re-buying the Zelda games, for some reason I sold all of them off =/.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »

Oh yeah, and why the FUCK did that moon hafta look THAT scary? =(

The Mask Seller scares me quite a bit.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

Ya know, I gotta echo Jet16 a bit. Well, just a bit. I really did like Ocarina of Time, but I happen to like Majora's Mask a whole lot better. Many people dumped on MM simply because comparing it to OoT was sort of incringing on their "favorite game of all time", which is just silly. MM really took a whole different direction, being very creepy and mysterious in nature. I think this was perfect for a series that is constantly trying to recreate itself with different atmosphere's. Even though a lot of graphics were reused the game was so incredibly creative and introduced so many new concepts, that it seems pointless to even mention.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:14 AM »

I've played through Majora's Mask four times now, and each time I like it more and more. I think it has aged better than Ocarina of Time as well.

It was definitely a transitionary game for the series in terms of presentation and story, and, though I haven't played  Phantom Hourglass, Majora's Mask seems to have a lot more in common with Wind Waker than it does with OoT. That sense of helplessness described in the article Eusis linked to is present in both games, and the dialogue in both is so much more intelligent and well written than any of their predecessors. But Majora's Mask has such an odd, foreboding environment. The entire game just makes me feel uncomfortable, but more like something is broken and I need to fix it rather than unsettling me and making me not want to play.

It is also one of the few games that had me very emotionally involved with the characters. Even the ones you barely know or see.

Code:
The part where you play the Song of Healing for Darmani is still completely gut wrenching.

Anyway, I won't be purchasing it for the VC since I own an original cartridge and the GameCube collector's edition disc, but it is definitely worth checking out for those who haven't played it.

EDIT: This is completely unrelated to the game, but another cool thing about Majora's Mask is that it inspired some of the most amazing fanart I've ever seen. This, for example.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:31:54 AM by Jimmy » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »

I'm a HUGE Zelda fan, but that time limit is the sole reason why I have not played the game to this day.

It's one thing to have played the game and decided the time limit wasn't their thing, it's another to have completely ignored the game. If you've got a Wii you may as well grab it now since $10 on something you don't like isn't a huge loss. Besides, you can slow down time and that often gives more than enough time to accomplish something worth noting, and there's temporary saves at owl statues.

Honestly, my biggest beef was that it felt kinda cheap it felt as a new game. Characters are recycled (this was probably part of the point here), the new Ocarina songs didn't go beyond that little bit you played like they did in OoT (probably just a result of the multiple instruments now), and there were only four dungeons (not the complete focus of the game anyway). Since I've had my full blown sequels to OoT since, I don't think those will be the sticking points they were.

I have never, ever played a game with set time limits that I have liked. I am pretty sure it would be the same with this game, especialy since the reviews I read when it came out talked about the time limit being a pretty big blemish on the game. I like exploring, taking my time... it's why I like RPG's and graphic adventures so much. I don't like feeling like I'm being "pushed" through the game on the developer's time table.

Considering that in a minimalist run I was able to blitz through three of the four dungeons in one cycle I don't consider the time limit thing to be all that problematic (and that's without the bunny hood).

My only problem with this game though is the fact that getting everything makes you SO overpowered that even if the final boss had a hundred forms he's still a joke (Twenty heart containers (post LA style) + Six bottles + Double defense + Fierce Deity Mask + Unlimited Magic = TENGA! TOPPA! GURREN! LAGAN!!! (seriously those blue disks that come out of your sword in FD mode are miniature Galaxies). It doesn't help that the final boss can be beaten with only three hearts, no double defense, no Fierce Deity Mask, no Gilded Sword, no double magic, no bottles, and with only thirty arrows).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »

Its kinda the fatal flaw of Zelda games. I find the first few dungeons incredibly difficult because (a) you're still adjusting to gameplay, (b) because you only have three hearts to do it in. 

That, and when on a second run, when you know what to do, the game loses its sense of mystery and surprise (when it comes to killing things).  I beat TP Ganondorf without hardly taking a hit on my second run.  Some guy on You Tube trecks the whole game on the initial 3 hearts.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

I played Majora's Mask on the GC Collector's Disc and really enjoyed it. I agree with everyone that it really has got a very unsettling atmosphere. I really hate time limits, but the one in MM really wasn't a big deal. Plus it was great to purposely let the clock run out and see the consequences.

I played it immediately after Ocarina of Time, and didn't like it as much. But it's still a great game.

Slightly off-topic: I never got a chance to get into Twilight Princess properly, due to a big repair drama with my Wii. I wasn't enjoying it that much after the first few hours of play. Despite adoring Zelda, it just seemed pretty meh. Is it worth trying to pick up again?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: