Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334846 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  why do so many mmo's focus on pvp?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: why do so many mmo's focus on pvp?  (Read 6994 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

Getting griefed is part of the MMO experience! It's not even that bad either! Try Shadowbane where you can assfuck some random farmer in the middle of the forest and take everything he's carrying! Or play a thief, and sneak up on an entire party while bribing the scout not to give you off. Then you can procedurally rob them blind. One time my friend somehow got a botter to teleport to a city and he proceeded to AOE the entire city, respawning constantly. He lost so much XP haha.

WoW is ultra-friendly now though so there's none of that anymore. Fly directly into an instance. No need to fight your way through Blackrock Mountain or Silithus. The most griefing you can do is camping lowbies (not that fun) or farming someone for arena points.

But yeah, PvP is fun because competition is fun. Why do guys play sports? Why should we have boxing when we can have punching bag competitions? Come on now.

The difference is that in sports both sides want to compete against one another. What you do is just douchebaggery. One side wants to go about their business, you aim to ruin someones experience. You are the epitome of asshattery in MMOs.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »

The difference is that in sports both sides want to compete against one another. What you do is just douchebaggery. One side wants to go about their business, you aim to ruin someones experience. You are the epitome of asshattery in MMOs.

QFFT

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »

So you'll say that Thoren sucks, but not the game?  It's a game you're paying to play, and the game has rules.  Those are the rules of the game.  Like I said earlier, you take your beatings early on, then pay it forward.. as will your victims.  My main justification is "this is why they joined a PK server."  The PK server is the football field... don't come here to play catch, because there is a game going on.

To get all hardcore serious, I'll accuse you of paying $15 a month to a greedy corporation, but not giving $15 to the Christian Children's Fund.  Get my drift?  There isn't a moral highground in MMO's.

That's my stance... but is there a correct one?  Probably not.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:20:28 AM »

So you'll say that Thoren sucks, but not the game?  It's a game you're paying to play, and the game has rules.  Those are the rules of the game.  Like I said earlier, you take your beatings early on, then pay it forward.. as will your victims.  My main justification is "this is why they joined a PK server."  The PK server is the football field... don't come here to play catch, because there is a game going on.

To get all hardcore serious, I'll accuse you of paying $15 a month to a greedy corporation, but not giving $15 to the Christian Children's Fund.  Get my drift?  There isn't a moral highground in MMO's.

That's my stance... but is there a correct one?  Probably not.

No, there isn't a moral highground in MMOs, but that doesn't mean you should be a douchetwat either. Seriously. Camping someone to the point where they quit, or have to sign out, so you can't do it anymore is a douchebag thing to do. Randomly killing a guy and then moving on is one thing, but going out of your way to try and ruins someones experience is just a fucking childish and douchetastic thing to do. Your justification doesn't change that.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:38 AM »

You get honor points for that stuff though :P  Just like the car salesman screwing you over... it's how you get ahead.  I think I'm weakening my own argument now.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 06:04:11 AM »

My justification is that it is fun. WoW's own mechanics that let someone get camped is (was) a problem by design. In a PvP MMO like EVE or Shadowbane, the risk vs reward from playing in the game is what makes it fun. Nobody would be enjoying EVE if death meant diddly squat and all you had to do was fly back to your wreckage.

That said I am not a mean player in WoW. I help people from my own faction all the time. I'm one of the least Elitist Douchebaggery people that you could ever meet. The game sort of, you know, encourages you to kill the opposing faction. When I play WoW I don't think "Oh man, should I really attack those guys? If they kill me I'll lose a lot of equipment and money." I pretty much play by the code of red = dead, there is no risk for me when I attack besides a quick run back. Enemies are attackable for a reason. MMORPGs are not games of fair competition.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »

I dunno, if it's so bad, why'd they put it in the game in the first place? If it's really so broken, it's a probalem with the game itself. An easy solution would be to make camping like that yield diminishing returns.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

Being a douche is fun, especially when they're[the ones being fucked] like this.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:09:11 PM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 03:11:11 AM »

There is also this classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw
Megidolaon
60MP of DOOM
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »

My main justification is "this is why they joined a PK server."  The PK server is the football field... don't come here to play catch, because there is a game going on.
I don't actually know of any mmorpg where you can only PK on a dedicated server. Sure, there are such servers, but usually you can PK all the time and many people do so.
Considering that PvP is in countless mmorpgs and you can't turn it off, normal players have to choice but to either play something else or risk getting PKed.
And anyone thinking just because it's possible, other should have to swallowit or stop playing is the epitome of douchebagery.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: