Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 02:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341031 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Resonance of Fate, new trailer.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Resonance of Fate, new trailer.  (Read 22065 times)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

With some brief seconds of gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-resonance-of/49610

Oh, if you're wondering, this game was previously known as End of Eternity.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »

It is still known as End of Eternity, just not outside Japan.

Hmm, looks interesting.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

Between Radiata Stories and Eternal Sonata, I'm done with Tri-Ace for good.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:00:06 PM »

Actually, Eternal Sonata wasn't developed by tri-Ace, it was developed by... ex-tri-Ace staff that had worked on Radiata Stories prior, you're confusing them with tri-Crescendo. Which makes it work even better since that nullifies both strikes.

Then we have Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4. Geez.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »

Looks interesting, might consider buying it.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »

It is still known as End of Eternity, just not outside Japan.

Hmm, looks interesting.

Well, that :P
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »

Actually, Eternal Sonata wasn't developed by tri-Ace, it was developed by... ex-tri-Ace staff that had worked on Radiata Stories prior, you're confusing them with tri-Crescendo. Which makes it work even better since that nullifies both strikes.

Then we have Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4. Geez.

Oh, you're right. It's Tri-Crescendo. I just saw the Tri and imposed my hatred on it.

This explains why the game is fucking ass.

So - is Star Ocean 4 as bad as Radiata Stories and Eternal Sonata?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 03:29:37 AM »

Honestly, I only know that they have atrocious cutscenes. I haven't yet played them, but MOST of the cutscenes in SO4 are supposed to be skippable with summaries afterward, but the Private Actions are unskippable, and apparently you have to trigger some of them when doing item creation. I'll try it later on to see if the game's fun enough to make up for that, though the graphics are pretty creepy (which Resonance of Fate seems to avoid, so that's a mark in its favor), and the portrait changing has left a really bad impression, especially due to the aforementioned creepiness.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:30:40 AM »

Honestly, I only know that they have atrocious cutscenes. I haven't yet played them, but MOST of the cutscenes in SO4 are supposed to be skippable with summaries afterward, but the Private Actions are unskippable, and apparently you have to trigger some of them when doing item creation. I'll try it later on to see if the game's fun enough to make up for that, though the graphics are pretty creepy (which Resonance of Fate seems to avoid, so that's a mark in its favor), and the portrait changing has left a really bad impression, especially due to the aforementioned creepiness.

Question... Compared to Star Ocean Second Story and Star Ocean Till The End of Time Director's Cut... Is SO4 worthy if you enjoyed the previous SOs?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 05:36:32 AM »

Actually, I HAVE heard of at least one person who liked SO3 and defends it didn't like SO4, so in that regard it's probably not a guarantee.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »

I loved SO3. SO4 I quit after 29 hours and haven't touched in over a month. I don't know if I'll ever go back to it.

Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-tri-resonance-of/52155
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

Actually, I HAVE heard of at least one person who liked SO3 and defends it didn't like SO4, so in that regard it's probably not a guarantee.

Me.  Sort of.

Question... Compared to Star Ocean Second Story and Star Ocean Till The End of Time Director's Cut... Is SO4 worthy if you enjoyed the previous SOs?

SO4's story can be summed up in one word: lame.  This coming from someone who didn't see anything wrong with SO2's story, and actually rather liked SO3's story.  SO4's story is just rather ridiculous; it tries to be an anime comedy and a sci-fi epic and fails at both.  That said, the gameplay is good, on par with what we've come to expect from Tri-Ace: the battle system is fun as always, item creation is a nice minigame, the skill system is intact but somewhat stripped down from what it was in SO2, the AI is competent, boss battles feel challenging without actually giving you game overs, and the 1st bonus dungeon is enjoyable while the second bonus dungeon is a tedious pain in the ass (although the final bonus dungeon boss battle is EPIC).

If you're a Tri-Ace fan there's no reason not to pick it up.  If you're not, SO4 isn't going to convince you otherwise.  The game is really aimed at the low to mid teen age range, who dig the battle system and tend not to notice how ridiculous the storyline is (I'm not kidding, there was a poll in the gamefaqs forum that essentially proved it).  Oh, and if you don't like anime gag humor, you better learn to like it, because that's half the story.

As for the movie...it's pretty sweet realizing I can read most of the Japanese text (although I'm not sure if that speaks for my language ability as much as the simplicity of the language used...).  Not to mention it looks cool.  I'm a Tri-Ace addict, so as long as the game isn't a kiddy adventure like Radiata Stories, I'm likely to snatch it up.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:34:06 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »

I feel like Tri-Ace's RPG-creation skills dont translate into next-gen very well. It seems that they dont have the production power to create a game that translated into mass market standards anymore.

This new game looks sweet though. Of course one can safely guess a few things about the game since it's from Tri-Ace:

The combat will be fun
The story will be a mess
The cutscenes will be awkward as fuck
The English voice acting will be pure shit (seriously, some games have good English dubbing, but IU and SO4 made me cringe)

But who knows, I hope they surprise me with a better game. The setting of Resonance of Fate looks damn cool, and even Gametrailer's audience is responding well to the game.
N-Sef
Dinner! Dinner! Dinner!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »

Resonance of Fate looks like what Nomura is trying to do, but actually pulling it off. I think the world that Tri-Ace are going for looks awesome and kinda reminds me of Dragon Quarter. Thoren seems to have nailed the formula of Tri-Ace games, still I like some of the stories they pulled out and each game does have individual moments of greatness, but really by the time that comes it's too little too late.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: