Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331556 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Monetize RPGFan by affiliating RPG games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Monetize RPGFan by affiliating RPG games?  (Read 7463 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »

I just would like to throw a quick suggestion to RPG Fan.

I’ve read that you're trying to monetize your website with advertisement banners. Well, have you also thought of affiliating indie RPG games such Aveyond, 3 Star of Destiny or Eternal Eden? Those old-school RPGs are getting more and more popular and we (indie developers) are starting to build a serious niche market. It's like a new trend.

It may seem insignificant at first consideration, but one of my affiliate partner could easily earn over $3000 USD simply by selling Eternal Eden, and other ones could get between $500-$2000. I honestly believe a website like RPG Fan could get over 15K USD at the end of a year, if not more. The exposure certainly plays a huge role too.

Of course I’m pretty sure you don’t want to transform your magazine into a game portal, but there is certainly a way to make it works in a similar way to ads.

This could be a mutual service to support indie developer and support your website. And it would be targeted toward RPG lovers ( I noticed that you're using some off-topic google ads on your website from time to time).The affiliate system is starting to get dominant on the online market nowadays. The commission range is normally between 20-40%, and most developers usually accept 40% when the exposure is worthy. It's a great way to convert traffic into money (and it's not a bad thing since it's related to RPG games).

It offers food for thoughts, isn’t? :)

(sorry for my bad English)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:24:30 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:55:47 PM »

We already put up that banner for Eternal Eden. What exactly are you suggesting? That we put a "buy Eternal Eden" button next to the game's review or some such thing, and then we get a cut of the sale?

Not sure that would fly...but if you want to pursue this, I would ask that you do so through PMs with individuals such as Damian (Sensei Phoenix) and Eric (Rudo).

Ramza

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »

I’m sharing this idea publicly because I just wished to offer food for thoughts to the whole team rather than trying to obtain a personal deal with RPGFan, and I hoped that maybe other developers or visitors would share their opinion too, only for the sake of chatting :)

Actually I wasn't referring only to Eternal Eden or trying to self-promote it or looking for an exclusive deal, rather I wished to share a new type of advertising model such promoting future online RPGs via an 'affiliate system'.

Tons of other indie RPGs will be released this year, Aveyond 3 will be out soon, the guy from Aldorlea Games (Laxius Force and 3 Stars of Destiny) is advanced with his new game, Hanako Games just announced a new game this week, and I heard that other RPGs are under way (note that not all of them are made with RPG Maker). RPGFan is already half-built of ads now (at least on the front page), that's why I came up with this idea because I think it could enlarge the possibilities to monetize the website.

A ‘buy now’ button isn’t an obligation, because redirecting toward a developer’s website would automatically allow RPGFan to receive a commission anyway. Under such circumstance the system would visually the same as advertising banners, but could definitely offer more money in RPGFan’s pocket in a long-term basis.

Another nice suggestion would be a special ‘shop’ section. Example, GameDev.net is already using this concept with their books section (and it’s related to their target audience).

I've seen a certain blogger making around 100K a year only by promoting affiliate products. It’s pretty effective when you have mass of visitors.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:47:03 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »

I would discourage such a practice since I could see using an affiliate system leading to a conflict of interest.  I would not be able to trust any reviews of any games posted here if the site is getting commissions for every game sold by clicking through the site.  I think that in order to maintain some sense of editorial integrity, such advertising partnerships would be a bad idea.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »

Well, I'd say the thing to keep in mind there is that the writers wouldn't get anything out of the deal aside from the occasional free games that already come with the job.  Links to sell games or no, we wouldn't see a dime, so I know my scores wouldn't be influenced by it.  If the site were to do something like this, any revenue would just go toward keeping the site afloat.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

Aveyond was top notch, and based on what I've heard, so was Eternal Eden.  Promoting anything else (Laxius is balls) will definitely compromise the integrity of this site.  You'd think Atlus would have suggested this idea by now. 

The computer RPG forum is already the best place to promote indie games.  You guys have links to your sites in your signatures.  I love indie devs, but I want them to reach a higher standard.  In my opinion, this is an over-happy idea.

Nothing personal Blackthirteen.  Keep up the good work.

That's my 2 cents.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »

Promoting anything else (Laxius is balls) will definitely compromise the integrity of this site.

Laxius Force received 84% on RPG Fan (higher than Aveyond) and 3 Stars of Destiny 87%.
Definitely on par with EE or AV and not compromising anything.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »

Promoting anything else (Laxius is balls) will definitely compromise the integrity of this site.

Laxius Force received 84% on RPG Fan (higher than Aveyond) and 3 Stars of Destiny 87%.
Definitely on par with EE or AV and not compromising anything.

Someone's quick to defend their own work. :)

Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »

Just reminding a few facts that seemed overlooked.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:14:00 PM by Indy » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:11:11 AM »

Haha - don't mind him - he's just messing with you (I'm pretty sure).  If you don't stand up for your own work, who else is going to?

—Kurt Vonnegut
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »

Haha - don't mind him - he's just messing with you (I'm pretty sure).  If you don't stand up for your own work, who else is going to?

Neal

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »

Or not:P  Opinion is opinion.  It's like food.  Some people love cilantro and others gag on it thinking it tastes like soap.  I certainly liked Laxius Force (though it did have a severe lack of Guanidia :P) but the game's an acquired taste.  But you know what?  So's SaGa. 

As for the topic at hand, there's obviously arguments for and against.  But on a personal level what would be worse?  A banner ad for an indie game that perhaps did not get a favorable review from us (i.e. Mount and Blade, Science Girls!) or some of the laughable stuff we're already seeing with the Google ads? 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 12:33:57 PM »

I certainly liked Laxius Force (though it did have a severe lack of Guanidia :P)

August 2009............. ehehe :D

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »

Some people love cilantro and others gag on it thinking it tastes like soap.

Wow - I actually know someone who thinks it tastes like soap, and I always thought "weirdo."  Guess she's not alone!

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »

She's not.  One of my best friends doesn't like it either, and he used to eat scotch bonnets like candy.  But the one who gets the most flak about not liking kotamali (it's the Tamil word for cilantro/coriander) is my cousin.  Just about any Indian food my family (immediate and extended) cooks has some kotamali in it.  (That being said, my cousin actually liked my mom's "chutney pesto" which had kotamali instead of basil.) 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: