Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2015, 06:40:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363012 Posts in 14733 Topics by 2288 Members
Latest Member: Wallflower
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: Site
| | |-+  I almost never read the main site
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: I almost never read the main site  (Read 1388 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 04:27:19 PM »

No,no. This was at least in January last time I edited it. I think Dice was just wondering if this was a response in regards to this thread - trying to increase traffic for regular forum users. Which the answer would be no, I don't think so since I think that link was there before this thread was created.

Maybe it's just the way I see things but maybe these instances of forum users checking the front page often is just a symptom of our community already being on the forefront of news as it is - often times I've seen a user create a thread the second news comes out - a response too fast for any editor here to publish a well written and more importantly a properly fact checked news post.

Irregardless I know for a fact we are many people's source of the latest rpg news - but perhaps not fast enough compared some of the more solely news focused sites that our rpg enthusiast forum users might be checking.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:29:53 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

zergrav
Software Artist
Administrator

csparks.project sparksine
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »

Having seen people like Andrew and Derek compose news stories, it's hard for me buy that we don't offer more accurate news earlier all the time. When Liz posted that ff interview on July 4th or 6th, iirc, we broke news before anyone else, hitting the front page of Reddit and single-handed leg beating out aggregate site traffic for all of the previous month of May.

I don't mean to sound intense, it's just I would not even be here if I didn't think we were a legitimate contender in that space. Our staff never ceases to impress me, and on a personal note, _I_ am actually very much looking forward to supplanting ign and gamespot, to name a couple. I'm of the "go big or go home" school of thought.

Let me just shut up and stop rambling, eh?  xD

If it ain't broke, *start* outsourcing your QA department.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

Well we had an interview then so we were the source but for Japanese translations for example we are often waiting for other sources for that. I'm not saying anyone here isn't fantastic and jumping to people's defense makes it seem like I am. if people here aren't looking at the front page despite our front page being great (I check it every day) then I was just proposing a theory that maybe these people are getting the news via just simply being forum users and us all discussing it anyway.

zergrav
Software Artist
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »

Sorry. I'm too entrenched in this precise type of material non-stop. It's often hard to come up for air, so to speak; my apologies for not properly understanding the scope of your statement. I eg for a free pass on that reply; interesting day, ya know?  ;D

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 05:21:13 PM »

Interesting is definitely a word. I'm a good guy I swear (of course that's  exactly what a bad guy would say)

Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »

No,no. This was at least in January last time I edited it. I think Dice was just wondering if this was a response in regards to this thread - trying to increase traffic for regular forum users. Which the answer would be no, I don't think so since I think that link was there before this thread was created.

Maybe it's just the way I see things but maybe these instances of forum users checking the front page often is just a symptom of our community already being on the forefront of news as it is - often times I've seen a user create a thread the second news comes out - a response too fast for any editor here to publish a well written and more importantly a properly fact checked news post.

Irregardless I know for a fact we are many people's source of the latest rpg news - but perhaps not fast enough compared some of the more solely news focused sites that our rpg enthusiast forum users might be checking.

It's a little faster for me on the forum to "OMFG LOOK AT THIS EARTHBOUND 6 WAS ANOUNCED!!!!!!! WWW.YOUTUBE/LINK *HAPPY GIF*" than the write a nicely written news article ...so yeah....  Regardles I love reading the news stories since they tend to have better details...and are written significantly better to the point I feel ashamed.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 11:59:31 PM »

I appreciate that the key stats panel is back.  I'm generally the one who approves new forum members, and I often like to check on them after a day or so to make sure they're not spamming it up. (Which would mean I done goofed.)

Like I see that this latest person included Paper Mario: TTYD on their top 10 list, so they're obviously cool. ;)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
zergrav
Software Artist
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »

I appreciate that the key stats panel is back.  I'm generally the one who approves new forum members, and I often like to check on them after a day or so to make sure they're not spamming it up. (Which would mean I done goofed.)

Like I see that this latest person included Paper Mario: TTYD on their top 10 list, so they're obviously cool. ;)

I'm glad you appreciate it! Although, knowing how prone to errors I can be, I have much of the current site under version control, so luckily I could just grab "the old copy" =D

I try not to make substantive changes to the site without moving "ahead a revision", because the first time don't, I know I will accidentally break the hell out of everything lol xD

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »

I still typically glance at the main site. But since I don't play games nearly as much as I used to, and few of them RPGs, I don't typically spend a whole lot of time there and go to the boards.

If you wouldn't mind helping us out further, would you mind telling us, additionally (your feedback would be extremely appreciated here, and I won't be forgetting your answers ^,^ ):

1. When you "glance" at the main site, what kind / type / etc. of things would interest you enough to click into them from the main site? This can be anything. It does NOT even have to "exist" currently on RPGFan.com.

2. What type of games / titles do you currently play that are RPGS?

3. What are a few genres / titles do you currently play that are not RPGs?

Usually, I'm mostly interested in news of established series I played frequently when I used to play more. Zelda, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, etc. When a new series or standalone game piques my interest, I will usually check the reviews here before purchasing.

I still play the established RPG series mentioned above when new games are released.

Most recently it has been Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros. I love Hyrule Warriors, and will most likely play Dragon Quest Heroes when it's released.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: