Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332742 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  I hate people like this
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: I hate people like this  (Read 7699 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 08:27:37 PM »

Blech. That's just sad. I'll admit I'm occasionally the same way, but only for terrible name changes. Like in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones they changed Cougar's name to Cormag for the English game. That just sucks, he even looked like a badass who could go about calling himself Cougar, BUT NO. As for Hekutaa? Well that's just dumbass to think it sounds "cooler" than Hector.

Fortunately I never was too guilty of Japan > America when I was an adolescent. About the furthest I got was that Japanese animation quality seemed lightyears ahead of America's though now I do admit I know nothing about what goes into animation so my former opinion on that matter was moot anyway.
Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »

JAPAN IS SUPERIOR

im gay
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 10:05:18 PM »

KONICHIWA ( u . u );
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 01:19:08 AM »

I think I'd hate "otaku" a lot less if I wasn't just as bad two years ago. Thankfully I got a job, learned how to do things in the real world, got off my ass, and grew up. But everytime I see people go out of their way to correct others on how to say "anime" or basically just worship Japan, I vomit a little in my mouth; more because it reminds me of how I was than how bad they are.

Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 01:23:26 AM »

Going out of your way to correct someone on how to pronounce anime is no different than say...correcting them on pronouncing epitome or something.

So, why would that bother you so much?

Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 01:49:22 AM »

Perhaps I do allow that to crawl under my skin too much.

I feel it's an act of pretention, but I suppose I'm not actually qualified to know the motives of those who choose to make such a correction.

It's clear that I'm projecting my past stupidity on others. However, other forms of "otaku" obsession is clearly obnoxious and painful, as others here can testify.

Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 02:08:50 AM »

The way I see it is, why not correct them? Better than them constantly making a fool of themselves. That's all I meant by it.

I can honestly say that, even though I have great love for Japan, I've never jumped on the "ZOMG JAPAN ISH BETR THUN AMERCA!!!11one." I just find that, I don't know, childish?

Hitoshi

Exess32
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 04:09:32 AM »

I never had that problem, I was always a closet nerd. Mainly because the other anime/game fans were pasty white, bowling shirt with a japanese symbol wearing, three chinned, flame haired retards. I felt stupid talking to them because I realized it was their life. I never assoiciated myself becuase I never wanted to be put in the same catagory. God get a life, anime is cool but so is putting your penis into a vagina.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 10:49:27 AM »

I saw a poll on some Final Fantasy forum about favorite countries. Almost everyone said Japan. Reasons mentioned: shops, anime, technology, games, everyone looks good/wears nice clothes. When asked if they had actually visited the country most people said no. One person had actually visited the country, but only remembered Hello Kitty merchandise and boys with silver hair.

Not that I have ever been in Japan, so I wouldn't know either...
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 11:20:13 AM »

Hello Kitty merchandise, yeah, but I have seen a lot of that in Europe as well, at least recently. Boys with silver hair? I don't know, I have lived there for a year and been to Japan several times, but I don't recall seeing boys running around with silver hair. May be that guy was at TGS and saw some folks cosplaying as Sephiroth, who knows :P. It is just sad, that those people really can't think about anything else, even when they are in Japan. I mean, it's not like the entire country is like Akihabara.

As far as the name issue goes, I don't think it is a big deal, if you don't act like a complete jerk. Take Spirited Away, for instance. Since I studied in Japan for a year I got used to use the Japanese title of the movie (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi) and hence I occasionally end up using it when talking to friends here as well. But that's not because I want to show off, but rather because I don't think about it. Same counts for Dew Prism (Threads of Fate) or Hagane no Renkinjutushi (Fullmetal Alchemist).
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »

I like Japan quite a bit, but I don't worship the place.  I do like showing off the stuff I get from there since it takes years for America to get those things (I'm talking small stuff like pens etc.)  So yeah, I do envy them to a certain extent since they get cooler things sooner.

I also find myself routing for them secondary to America in things like the Olympics.  Of course I am Japanese-American and I lived there when I was 5 so that's why.  

Oh I've dated a guy who was/maybe still is into anime and rpgs.  He often said he wished he was Japanese.  I have a feeling that one of the big reasons he dated me was because I am Japanese-American.  I can't confirm that, but it has made me wary in dating pro-Japan folks.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: