Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327439 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Microsoft dropping future Backwards compatibility?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Microsoft dropping future Backwards compatibility?  (Read 2392 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »

1up story.

... Bleh. I understand it's hard, but I'd hate for them to settle for what's already supported, and not bother adding more. Why not give the capability to develop the emulators to the developers as well, and cut on the load/make it run more effectively on the X360? And companies that can't/don't want to do it can just pay Microsoft? :P
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 05:06:30 PM »

Hey, that's a 1Up story, not Gamespot.

Anyway, this kind of makes sense. Microsoft has all but abandoned the Xbox, and this is just another step in the same direction. As soon as the 360 was launched, it seems like the company lost all interest in the original console and its games.

I think they underestimate the value of backwards compability, though. A lot of people will want to play their old favourites again, especially when the current 360 game library is far from stellar. And as far as I know there are still a few profilic titles that don't run on the 360.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Hey, that's a 1Up story, not Gamespot.

Whoops, my bad. I originally read it on GameSpot, but went for the 1up story since it mentioned the fan reaction.

About half the games I have, some of them my favorites of the XBox lineup, aren't supported. It does make me thankful I opted to not wait on playing Breakdown until it popped up on the backwards compatibility though.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »

For Microsoft, it only makes sense to add support for games that help sell the console.  For all the rest, the developers can provide their own upgrade path (downloadable emulator, disc exchange, updated binary downloads, etc.)  There's really no reason in the internet age why the system developer should have to manage portability issues.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:39:41 PM »

Problem being that Microsoft, for whatever reason, isn't letting the other developers develop their own emulators - The developer for Black wanted their game emulated ASAP, but had to wait on Microsoft developing it.

I guess they could always just re-release the game for the X360, but not only is that not likely to happen for games like Psychonauts and Phantom Dust, but honestly it's just not that profitable either.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 06:59:55 PM »

So they can't make emulators.  They can more easily rebuild the game for the new console and make it downloadable (or exchangeable) for customers posessing the old version.  They DID make smart design choices allowing them to switch platforms without a major coding effort, right?  :P

Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:22:26 PM »

Considering I already sold my XBox based on the statement that all XBox games would be backward compatable, this development really pisses me off.  I still can't play Panzer Dragoon, I still can't play DoA Volleyball, I still can't play fucking Otogi.  Now that I think about it, maybe 20% of my XBox titles are backward compatable.  The "under-promised over-delivered" statement is a joke, though.  Considering they did indeed promise ALL XBox games, until they at least get all the good games working I think they can keep thoughts like that to themselves.
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:46:37 PM »

Honestly I could care less myself. I being the proud owner of both, only feel two games are necessary. Those being Halo and Halo 2. I think they pretty much covered all the massively popular and selling titles. Also, I think some of the other games they didn't port over for the sole reasons of selling more newer versions of old titles for instance Far Cry.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 10:51:11 PM »

I own Phantom Dust, which was the one title I really wanted to keep playing when I switched over to the 360; looks like I'll be keeping the Xbox.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:19:40 PM »

Quote from: "Iolaus"
Honestly I could care less myself. I being the proud owner of both, only feel two games are necessary. Those being Halo and Halo 2. I think they pretty much covered all the massively popular and selling titles. Also, I think some of the other games they didn't port over for the sole reasons of selling more newer versions of old titles for instance Far Cry.

Unfortunately, we're all not you. Some of us want to play the games that aren't over-rated first-person shooters.
I'd like to be able to play Panzer Dragoon without having to dig out my old XBox...but I can't. In fact, most of the games I own aren't on that damn list, so the so-called backwards compatibility is all but useless for me.

But, that's okay. I can always play Halo instead of what I actually want to play...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 03:14:55 AM »

Hey, we have a follow-up! It almost seems like it's 'execs say stupid shit' week. :P

Edit: Even if they get every game humanly imagineable emulated, I still think holding onto the XBox is a good idea. Some games that /are/ emulated have issues, usually frame rate issues. Fable runs like crap, and supposedly so do KotOR2 and Ninja Gaiden Black. And you apparantly can't play Chaos Theory online. So... For me, it's basically the next gen machine that can play Halo. And Sonic.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 10:20:24 AM »

And to think all they ever had to say was, "The Xbox 360 will not be compatible with Xbox games."  :)

Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/711/711060p1.html

Hmm...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 05:38:54 PM »

Quote from: "Testament"

Essentially what I posted, but I guess that works for people who don't want to visit GameSpot for whatever reason.

Nothing to add beyond that and what I said in the edit earlier.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 01:42:40 PM »

i was actually thinking of getting a 360 when i thought it was gonna be backwards compatable.but now fuck it

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: