Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 04:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327344 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  US government forces takedown of Swedish bittorrent tracker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: US government forces takedown of Swedish bittorrent tracker  (Read 1152 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »

Hey guys, fuck your government (and ours, for caving under). The story goes like this:

ThePirateBay, currently the world's largest BitTorrent tracker is hosted and run here in Sweden. According to current Swedish law, the site isn't doing anything illegal. It's not hosting any illegal or copyrighted files, and all it's doing is refering you to where you can find files of legal and illegal nature. This is entirely legal as the law currently stands.

Despite this, Swedish police raided the site's host two days ago, confiscating ALL the servers being hosted there (wheter they had anything to do with ThePirateBya or not). As I said, the site wasn't doing anything illegal. The police conducted the raid to "find out if anything illegal is being done on the site". To make matters even worse, it turns out that the order to carry out the raid came from the Swedish Ministry of Justice. It's stated in the constitution that the government isn't allowed to tell the judicial system what it should do, so this is a very big no-no.

All of this I could accept, if it weren't for this little fact:
The demand to take down The Pirate Bay came from the US government. In April, the US Government and the Swedish Government held a meeting by the request of MPAA.  The US department of state demanded that Sweden's Ministry of Justice would take action, and make sure that ThePirateBay was stopped. And this was how this whole mess started.

Now, I'm not writing all this to defend software pircay. My point is instead that it's scary how the US Government can demand (and succeed with the demand!) that another, sovereign state follow their orders. That is incredibly scary. It's even scarier that the US government was doing this at the request of MPAA. Those Hollywoodians must have some really powerful lobbyists.

More information can be found here, here, here and here.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:20:28 PM »

I don't know how your country treats international agreements (such as the Berne convention for international copyright protections), but perhaps such was the basis for the US government request?

(And that's what it is, by the way: a request.  The Swedish government is free to choose another action in response.)

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 06:58:17 PM »

I'm sure that people involved with thepiratebay having a political party vying for power within the Swedish government had nothing to do with the current in-power government taking actions to try and discredit them....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: