Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Villains MIA topic...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Villains MIA topic...  (Read 13219 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:59 AM »

I had a strategy guide. A good strategy guide makes that game much more enjoyable.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »

Second it required SaGa levels of exploration to find anything of note

No, it didn't. Usually walking into a newly-opened land was enough to start a quest there, and almost every land HAD a quest present in it as soon as it was placed. I think the Pirate Ship and some of the Dragon related-areas didn't. Around five or so just trigger automatically after a while when you go to your home. I mean there were SOME fairly obscure quests (The Nic line, Gilbert line, and the three or so that required domina to have a specific mana level. These amount to maybe 11 quests total. The second quest in the fairy storyline also has odd start requirements. So let's say 12) but not the majority of them.

Dragoon arc was both the easiest to find

What, no. The Jumi arc is the easiest to find. You start it by walking into the pub in domina, which is the third building you see in the entire game. And almost every artifact you get from the quests open up lands that are strictly relevant to the Jumi arc. And a lot of quests start themselves just by going to the relevant area.

First its gameplay was horribly broken

It's Square. What do you expect :( It works a lot better on hard mode, though (especially if you use someone like Larc as a companion, because the AI for the fighter characters is far, far more functional for some reason).

Also I have to note this just because I was playing both recently, but in general the partner AI isn't nearly as bad as I remember. It's maybe on par with SoM, but nowhere near SD3's quality. Only Bud and Pearl are completely and totally useless. Like, Larc is really effective and Lisa manages to hold her own, somehow. Lisa is odd since she SHOULD have the same AI settings as Bud. I think it's because her broom counts as a spear and his pan counts as a 1h axe, which effects attack range. IDK.

SoM's oddity with Sprite behaving like a tard might be because most of the weapons he's good with are ranged, and ranged weapons behave weird and the AI grid isn't really intuitive for them.

---edit---

Wait what does this have to do with villains.

Here's an interesting thought. Giygas isn't remembered for anything he DID because he didn't do a lot, but rather his vague and incomprehensible creepiness. Giygas was, ultimately, just a twisted face/fetus displayed as a background.

His aesthetic's really important since visually it's hard to discern even what he is. The thing is, square did similar things with some of its bosses, like Zeromus. Except Zeromus... well, it's Gigerish, but it looks like an alien with a severed dong (http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-4/sprites/boss/Zeromus2.gif srsly it does). It's WEIRD but it's not incomprehensible.

Giygas was just red and black fractal noise in the shape of a horrified face/baby.

Alternatively, keep watching the What ARe You PLaying? thread for my EVENTUAL let's play/screenshot tour of tong nou, as I attempt to explain why it's creepy and weird.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:43:29 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:54:13 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »

...and Tron Bonne r0XX0RZ my 50XX0RZ in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.  Ahh, Tron... so cute yet so diabolical.  Although not an RPG, my favorite trio of "fun" villains were Alicia, Flare, and Stare in Tail Concerto.  That game was awesome.  Alicia was hilariously over the top with her insults and the battles were very creative.  And
Code:
there is a scene in the game where Flare and Stare try to redeem themselves to Waffle and whichever one he speaks to first in a key scene hangs out at his apartment.  The scene with Stare at his apartment is hilarious- she's nervous about being in a boy's room for the first time, then offers to do his laundry.  I LOL'd.

And with Grandia, I remember Nana, Saki, and Mio (the "fun" villains) but can't for the life of me remember who the main villain is.  And one thing that punctuated Nana, Saki, and Mio was that their boss music was really f'n good. 

So there is something to be said for the fun villains. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 08:03:22 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »

You know, screw villains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kittinger

Make an RPG about THAT guy. Your goal is to pull of the jump in whatever way possible and your only enemies are time and gravity.

o/` I do not dream o/`

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2009, 12:24:55 AM »

Despite Dahlia and Claudia not being RPG villains and them being on the Silent Hill series.

Code:
I think they're one of the best villains ever, them being fanatically religious and crazy then trying to call out for God to cleanse the town of Silent Hill, they sure are.... crazy. Killing people, sacrificing one's own child, etc.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

I had a longer post typed up but screw that.

I said LoM had good villains. I didn't say it was *fun*.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:16:36 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2009, 11:19:01 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:54:24 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:25 PM »

Is the other SoM Sword of Mana?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2009, 12:11:42 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:54:45 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 02:27:30 AM »

Thing needs to burn, man.

o/` I do not dream o/`

erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »

Make an RPG about THAT guy. Your goal is to pull of the jump in whatever way possible and your only enemies are time and gravity.
You're joking, but an RPG focused on stereotypical-but-crazy military life might actually be refreshing. "What crazy plan is Army gonna up with next, sarge?" "Well, it appears we're gonna jump out of a plane at 100,000 feet. And by we, I mean you." Commence quest to obtain appropriate supplies, perhaps with random attacks by period-specific enemies (Nazis, North Koreans, Viet Cong, whatever) and branching dialogue trees.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: