Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:02:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340920 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  WoW - What UI mods are the cool kids using these days?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WoW - What UI mods are the cool kids using these days?  (Read 2644 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:24:40 AM »

I've been out of the WoW loop for quite a while, but as my favourite game store had the game on something of a sale I decided to pick up a copy. So, I was thinking that I should start gathering some UI mods while I wait for the game to arrive. What UI mods are the best these days? It's been more than six months since I last played, and I figure that a lot has changed during that time.

I used to have FlexBars as my main hotbar mod, but that one is a fucking pain to set up (even if it's awesomely flexible when you get it working right). So, just throw your favourite mod suggestions at me.

Also, I'm planning to play as either a rogue, hunter or priest, so if you have any good suggestion of mods tailored especially towards those classes that'd be awesome.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:46:03 AM »

Titan Panel with package addons
TitanPanel: Durability
Cast Party
LootLink
CT_Raid
HoBDKP
QuickLoot
Atlas
ItemRack
KLH ThreatMeter
AutoBuff

I highly recommend CT_Raid for all players, and AutoBuff and Cast Party make playing healer/buff classes a snap. AutoBuff pretty much takes the "stare at the buff timer" chore out of your hands, and will rebuff all the selected buffs on the party or raid when it expires (or earlier depending on your options). Cast Party allows you to bind spells to mouse buttons and in turn gives you a new GUI that allows you to cast these spells on party members (and raid members via CT_Raid compatibility) by hitting the corresponding mouse key when over their life bars. You can even have it chose the more mana efficient spells and rank levels depending on how you customize it. It allows me to main heal without overhealing and fussing with hotkeys and panels.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »

I used to have a bunch of different hotbar mods back during my first time playing the game.  When I came back a few months ago however, I saw that Blizzard had added in a few new bars of their own on the sides of the screen and along the bottom, and those generally suffice.  The only bar mod I use now is Auto Hide Bar, which basically just causes a series of buttons to show up whenever I mouse over the right side of the screen while holding shift.  I don't use it for anything I need instantly; just for food and water, mana gems, and my various teleports.

Aside from that, I just use Titan Panel, Quickloot, Atlas, and Necrosis for my lock.  I don't like having a bunch of excess crap. :P

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »

Discord Bars are very similar to Flexbar but has a decent GUI for configuration.  I use a customized DiscordUnitFrames and NurfedHUD; it's really nice in PvP to have everything I need to look at right at the middle of the screen.  Scrolling Combat Text and SpellAlert are necessary.  I really like HitsMode for the combat log.  And Autobar for managing potions/water/bandages is so great.

If you're going to be a Priest, I really recommend you learn to manage efficient healing without using a mod to pick spell ranks for you, though if you've got a lot of buttons on your mouse, CastParty does provide a pretty nice interface.  You might try GroupButtons, which integrates targetted hotkeys for your heals with your party frame.  Get Decursive, it makes the mindless but wrist-killing task of full group dispelling tolerable.

As a Rogue, you might want to pick up EnergyWatch and StunWatch.  EnergyWatch displays a meter showing when your next energy tick is, and StunWatch will display an approximate progress bar for when your stun is going to wear off.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »

Quote from: "Rico"
If you're going to be a Priest, I really recommend you learn to manage efficient healing without using a mod to pick spell ranks for you, though if you've got a lot of buttons on your mouse, CastParty does provide a pretty nice interface.  You might try GroupButtons, which integrates targetted hotkeys for your heals with your party frame.  Get Decursive, it makes the mindless but wrist-killing task of full group dispelling tolerable.

I played a cleric in DAoC for more than two years, so hopefully I should be able to manage the timing and mana conservation aspects. Also, I did play WoW for a year or so (beta and retail), so I'm not entirely unfamilliar with the classes ;)

After reading your suggestions - thanks for that, by the way - it seems like many of the UI mods I used back in day are still going strong. Discord, Gatherer, StunWatch, Atlas, MapNotes, CTRaid/CTMail, QuickLoot, LootLink (wasn't that replaced with ItemMatrix or what hell it's name was), Scrolling Combat Text and SpellAlert I'm already familiar with. I also used some bag mods, such as AllInOneInventory and a bank one that I can't remember the name of. I guess I'll be fine with just downloading the old classics from Curse-Gaming, then!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »

Titan covers a LOT of good stuff.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: