Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:18:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340962 Posts in 13936 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Kill the Load times
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Kill the Load times  (Read 4285 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »

If you hate loading times on your PS2 so much, go get a HDD and a copy of HDLoader - that will eliminate most of your loading times right there by streaming games off of the hard drive instead of the disc.

I don't feel that loading times are such an issue unless the game is retarded stupid with them, like some of the games on the PSP, like Ys 6.  If I have to deal with 5 seconds of loading time every two minutes, I don't mind.  Immersion is much greater in days for a larger majority of the people playing them in years past.  It's become mainstream, now.

Here's the thing... if you want to play games built by a smaller team with little or no budget, there's a ton of free- and share-ware games out there on the internet.  Grab the last issue of PC Gamer, it's got a list of a bunch of indie games.

I agree that Graphics aren't everything, but my game of Civ IV sure does look a hell of a lot nicer than my game of Civ III - and it's got no loading times except for creating the world.  Even for games that do have mid-loading times, it's not a huge issue.  I'm playing through Dreamfall right now, and it loads a few seconds every couple of minutes at the least.  I haven't run into an issue with the game's loading times, only its UI and combat sequences.  The fact that the graphics, dialogue, and voice acting keep me immersed in the game is awesome.

Loom set the standard with serious point & click adventures back in the early 90s - while the game used 2D sprites that were appropriate for the time for the gameplay portions, important story sequences used large facial sprites and voice acting to immerse the player.  Quite simply, the creation of 3D models is far easier on artists.  For every single frame of a 2D sprite, that has to be created by an artist and loaded into RAM.  For a 3D framework or animation, like Logick said, it's just a framework, texture, and animation sets.

Programmers are never going to make the art, and artists are never going to write the story and writers are never going to supervise the timetable of the project.  Teams today are larger and larger.  My brother works specifically on network code and menu UIs for games; he doesn't touch the physics engine (well, the company he works for now just uses an asston of Havok) or any other part of the game.

SNK is still making games that will appeal to you, NIS is still making 2D titles, Gust and Idea Factory are making titles in 2D.  There are plenty of freeware 2D games out there to play, as well.  The Nintendo DS and even the PSP have their fair share of games that are in 2D.  I leave my house with both my PSP and my DS in my car - I purchased them specifically so that I have gaming on the go; I think that if I care about anything getting messed up, it's my $20,000 car, not my $200 PSP.

Me, I'm going to play whatever games are best, and, right now, there's not a single 2D game on that list.  Civ IV, Dreamfall, Winning Eleven 9, etc.  All of them are built with fully 3D environments and character models, and all of them are top notch games.

Here's what it comes down to: Companies are always going to try to turn a quick buck.  With gaming being as small as it was twenty years ago, low dev cost games were fewer and far between, but they still existed.  Custer's Revenge, anyone?  Today, with the market being as large as it is, companies are more able to turn a profit with a budget game. Even then, however, there are games released at budget price that are awesome - Half Life 2 Episode 1, Ostfront 41-45, Katamari Damacy, and the like are all great and less than $30.

Gaming is a completely different market today than it was twenty years ago.  It's far more popular and far more profitable now.  Electronic Arts will still keep making their Madden every year and their Need for Speed franchise will keep on selling.  What you look for in the game is not what the general public looks for in a game.  The XBox 360 has some pretty bad load times for a lot of its games, but people are willing to deal with it due to the fact that it's got such good graphics.  That very vocal minority you see on the internet is just that - a minority.  You've got to deal with the fact that the Drunken Frat Fuck is one of the key targets for gaming, now.

Video Gaming is not just something for the geeks anymore.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 04:25:55 PM »

Nice to see my long post pointing out how piss poor programming is at fault was ignored in favor of making an overly lengthy reply to a one line reply.

You seem to be mostly pissy about graphics - perhaps you have a point there with how much of a focus is put on them... but honestly, most of the games that look awesome actually are good games. I don't think the ones that simply look good are remembered for very long by anyone, and at worst you have a decent game that gets blown out of proportion with good graphics; although Halo probably technically doesn't count, it kinda feels that way to me.

Hell, GTA's pretty much the most popular game now, and quite frankly that's the one of the ugliest god damned games this generation. That brings up the controversy point, but I won't touch that for now, though I'll note that controversy in anything sells. There's something else I want to note; I don't thnk we'll ever completely go to realistic graphics. We were perfectly capable of live action filming for a long time, yet people still make cartoons, or CGI movies with characters that don't even look realistic. Lastly, anime's pretty damn popular, so the worst I see is that /detail/ becomes more and more popular, not inherently realism.

Ironically, technology advancing like this, combined  with how long it's been since video games started coming out, could see a resurgence of old school-styled titles. If people want to make a simple, low budget game that's fun, they can have it sold over XBox Live Arcade, and apparantly the Wii Virtual Console, and the same could happen for the PS3. Hell, one of the most popular games on the X360 is Geometry Wars, a 5 buck downloadable game that's not overly demanding graphically outside of lots and lots of shiny sparks, but is about as evolved gameplay-wise as Robotron. And there's a lineup of retro-styled GBA games coming out with the intent to 'look back at gaming's roots'.

One final bit: Is this topic name even fitting now? The loads seem to have been half forgotten in only half a post in, if that. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 04:29:03 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself Cauton.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »

Whoa, eveyone needs to wash the stains out of their panties.  :|

I dislike overly long load times, but if the game is good, it doesn't really matter.

...There!

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »

Oh, I forgot to do this reply since I was reading through all the responses and just kinda... Forgot this one statement while doing so in addition to typing my own, so.

Jimmy: You fucking suck for saying Cave Story sucks. :DDD

In seriousness though, if you haven't actually played it, do so. Just because someone that... isn't well liked is talking about how much they like it doesn't discredit the actual quality of the game, and it's a nice little game that's actually kinda reminiscent of Metroid.

And I would gladly pay for it - but it'd have to be something like 20 dollars, and would be ideal on the GBA.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »

I didn't think it discredited his argument, otherwise I would have put it in the main body of my post and not at the end. I just didn't find it fun.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 01:47:52 PM »

wow i tried to read this thread but the walls of text were too scary :(

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 02:41:10 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
wow i tried to read this thread but the walls of text were too scary :(

You arent missing much, Alisha....people just want to bitch about stuff in great games for the sake of bitching.

Load Times = Annoying sometimes....DEAL WITH IT.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: